Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII Turnover at 8:01 in 2nd quarter

daveakl

Watching the All-22 of this play right now. RG3 had both Garcon and Reed open on the left side, and was staring right at them but didn't pull the trigger. He actually chops his feet several times (waiting for them to get more seperation I guess.) The throw has to be made right now, not 1 or 2 seconds later when they are blatantly open.

Thanks for posting that pic. A lot of us were speculating that Reed should have run inside, but this angle shows why the play design and call were great. RG3 just has to pull the trigger to Garcon. Hit that lane between the Umpire and the DB. That's an easy pitch and catch.

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right.  A good throw leading Garcon to the inside, better than average chance he makes that catch for a TD.  The only thing stopping a TD is a bad throw or the ref being in the way.   But that ball has to be coming out in that frame though, or there'll be too much traffic with Moss leading his guy right in the path, not to mention another step later and RG3 got crushed.

And that's kind of where he is at.

Defenses know what he does and does not like to do now.  The tape is out and the opinions are being made.  He has to THROW his way out of what defense are doing to him now.

Obviously this photo completely changed my mind about this play.  Ball has to come out.

Thanks for posting that pic. A lot of us were speculating that Reed should have run inside, but this angle shows why the play design and call were great. RG3 just has to pull the trigger to Garcon. Hit that lane between the Umpire and the DB. That's an easy pitch and catch.

No problem. If there are any other plays you want to see just let me know. RG3 had both the inside throw to Garçon and the outside throw to Reed, saw them both, but hesitated and wound up taking a big hit and turning the ball over. So frustrating.

And that's kind of where he is at.

Defenses know what he does and does not like to do now. The tape is out and the opinions are being made. He has to THROW his way out of what defense are doing to him now.

Obviously this photo completely changed my mind about this play. Ball has to come out.

Absolutely agree. Until he proves he can make those decisions/throws on a fairly consistent basis they are going to continue to challenge him to throw under pressure.

I just watched the play again.  He has more than two seconds so that tells me the guy running the clock was off.  They were on the 5 yard line... I think this throw needs to be out and he had plenty of time to do it.  Plus, the guy rushing on Helu was twice his size.  I can't see him blocking that guy any longer than he did unless he held.  

No problem. If there are any other plays you want to see just let me know. RG3 had both the inside throw to Garçon and the outside throw to Reed, saw them both, but hesitated and wound up taking a big hit and turning the ball over. So frustrating.

Absolutely agree. Until he proves he can make those decisions/throws on a fairly consistent basis they are going to continue to challenge him to throw under pressure.

He's just got to process things quicker, which comes with developing as a QB.  The good news is, you can get better at that.  When guys are running wide open, maybe you don't hone that skill as much.  It almost seems like he's not sure or comfortable with what's he's seeing.  

And watching that play 100 times the last couple days, what makes it worse was, even if Helu had held up better on the block, RG3 was still gonna be holding it.  With this protection, it's the old quick passing game adage, when that back foot hits, the ball's gotta come out.  Instead, he's holding it, staring, holding it some more, then crushed.   You're at the 5, it's not like you're waiting for long routes to develop.  Watch that play in full speed, he had 3 full seconds from the time he completes his drop.  That ball's gotta be out with a blitz coming.  

I just watched the play again.  He has more than two seconds so that tells me the guy running the clock was off.  They were on the 5 yard line... I think this throw needs to be out and he had plenty of time to do it.  Plus, the guy rushing on Helu was twice his size.  I can't see him blocking that guy any longer than he did unless he held.  

LOL  I almost said the exact same thing.  But I agree.  I can envision Kyle and Mike telling him in the film session that play was there.

We need to scrap the read option for the rest of the season and just allow RGIII to take his lumps as a pocket passer. Learn how to look off safeties and etc you know what I mean?

If he weren't taking literal lumps from all the hits standing back there, I would agree.  

Watching the All-22 of this play right now. RG3 had both Garcon and Reed open on the left side, and was staring right at them but didn't pull the trigger. He actually chops his feet several times (waiting for them to get more seperation I guess.) The throw has to be made right now, not 1 or 2 seconds later when they are blatantly open.

rg3fumble.png

So, based on this All 22, My thoughts on the play design appear to be correct, except it wasn't Reed running the wrong route, but Garcon was the guy moving in behind the read defender.

This goes back to something I wrote in another thread. RG3 made the correct read, the play concept executed as designed, but RG3 didn't trust his read enough to deliver the ball on-time.

Had he stuck with the correct footwork, and delivered the ball off a hitch step after pulling the ball, Garcon would be doing his TD dance. Instead, he hesitated until he could actually see Garcon come open which was too long for the protection.

Archived