Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RGIII Turnover at 8:01 in 2nd quarter

daveakl

In fairness to Helu, by the time he executed the play fake, he had to lunge to his right to make contact with Barwin.  He didn't have time to get into a good solid stance.  Tough play for him.

I hate when that happens.

Agreed.  On both counts.

I'd also add another play where a simple audible to a slant might have helped us out.  Sliding the protection to the left... audible to a slant from the slot weapon on the left.

I've been saying this since the Detroit game.  The kid has no freedom and I'm not sure I enjoy that right now.  He's not developing at all.

Cooley hinted that we will likely be going away from the zone read and spending the rest of the season working on developing Griffin as a pocket passer.

I do, however, think it is reasonable for RG3 to say to himself "I took the ball in the shotgun, executed a play fake, and did NOT drop back any further from that point. I have already held the ball for nearly 2 seconds executing that play fake, and another second or two deciding that my receiver is covered. I do not have time to go through progressions 2 and 3 because this was a play designed to get the ball out of my hands instantaneously. I better throw it over the head of my covered receiver and into the third row so that we can try again on third down."

Check the time stamps. He was hit 2 seconds into the play. If you watch the replay at nfl.com you can see he fakes and looks to fire over the middle. Noone is there so he shuffles left and reloads to either hit garcon or throw it away. And boom goes the dynamite.

Also. He took the ball at the 9 and dropped back to the 13 after the playfake counting on the unblocked d to go to helu. Its like they knew the play or something.

The Skinsiders saw it too. But you're right, that could have been the right route.

Guess well never know

First off, Robinson is far from wide open. Maybe, MAYBE if Griffin throws the ball at the exact right instant and drills it in there, Robinson catches it at the 2. But that assumes Griffin going thru his reads and turning right at the optimum moment to execute that.

And the clock in those pics show him about to get the ball at 8:03 and getting hit at 8:01. There's really no time between the receivers turning back to see the ball and RG3 starting to throw.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about "no separation."

Robinson looks wide open on the outside to me. In the NFL that is wide open as long as the ball is thrown on time...

We also dont know the progression order of the recievers, even though RG3 didnt really have time to go through them.

Helu had a poor angle for blocking after the fake. The play was doomed from the start.

I hated our routes as much as RGIII's pocket awareness on that play.

I can't see what Pierre is doing, but Reed, Moss, and Aldrick all run those same damn double moves in then out, or out then in. No one in the ****ing endzone either. Shanny should know our WR's, outside of Pierre, do not get consistent YAC. Send them into the endzone on throws, b/c the spot where they catch it is usually the spot where they hit the turf.

Maybe some back shoulder throws? WR's screens down there?

We had success on a fade route w/ Reed vs. Vikes, but no attempts like that vs. Philly. The great thing about endzone fades, is that they can be executed from anywhere in the redzone and you also do not need a 6'3 + receiver to thrown them (Seems as tho Russ Wilson throws fades to 5'10 Baldwin & Tate and 6'1 Kearse every game)

HTTR

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about "no separation."

Robinson looks wide open on the outside to me. In the NFL that is wide open as long as the ball is thrown on time...

How exactly is he "Wide Open". With a throw to him there (considering RG3 even had time to look his direction) would just get him tackled before the goal line. I haven't seen Aldrick really break tackles, especially easy ones like that for a DB. He could've possibly had a completion, but it would've gained maybe a yard if that, considering the time it takes the throw to be made, and how much the DB can drive during the throw.

Keep in mind he also hasn't hit his break in Screen 3, so you have no idea if the DB is going to jump the inside route. 

I can't remember where but somebody said he was mad that Reed ran the wrong route. Might have been the twitter guys.

I'm sure he was also mad that he face planted into the grass with no helmet and had a 300lb Eagle crushing for 30 seconds. 

I was really surprised that he wasn't hurt on that play.  A separated shoulder was definitely a possibility (considering his slender frame, the size of the defender, and the force that was applied to him).

**also surprised that Foles wasn't hurt on the next drive (or one after that).  He got crushed also.

I was really surprised that he wasn't hurt on that play.  A separated shoulder was definitely a possibility (considering his slender frame, the size of the defender, and the force that was applied to him).

**also surprised that Foles wasn't hurt on the next drive (or one after that).  He got crushed also.

ahahaha yupp, the play where london fletcher ran straight up the middle and straight up SACKED him :) that was funny.

also, i think if aldrick robinson gets a catch, he would have made it in for a TD, or close to it.

as I suspected, RG3 was not to blame...just like RG3 is not to blame for 95% of the problems.    for the people saying Robinson was open, I'm fairly certain he was the 4th read on that play.....and for those who say that Robert needed to throw the ball away if his first read isn't there, I say that's a bad play design if you need to throw the ball away if the first read isn't there.

No matter what the RG3 haters say, including old man Jurgensen, that 2nd and goal play symbolizes thee entire offense......poor play call....poor pass protection....poor job by the receivers getting separation......RG3 gets blamed

after looking at that play again, I really really hate it......

1) Robinson is not open, because Barwin is in the passing lane.

2) I hate the route combination with Garcon and Reed....Garcon is running an out route...if you're the guy covering Reed, you have to expect Reed to go inside...so even if Reed ran the right route to the inside, I don't think he would have been open.

3) with the way the Eagles were defending Garcon and Reed, I would have run Garcon straight at DB, creating a pick on Reed's man..then run Garcon on an in route to the middle of the end zone and Redd on an out route....at least one of those guys would have been open

Funny. I see #11 open at the top of the screen in one on one coverage and with good position. RG# never looks at him. If he had thrown the ball in the fourth frame you posted (his feet were set in the farm before it)  it might have been a TD.

You're absolutely wrong...Barwin is in the passing lane

You're absolutely wrong...Barwin is in the passing lane

He's in the passing lane on the 3rd cut up....I'm fairly certain, Robinson is his 4th read on that play...why would he look at him that quickly?  and in slow motion, he may look open, but I'm not sure he really is...and if he does catch the ball, I'm not sure he scores

as I suspected, RG3 was not to blame...just like RG3 is not to blame for 95% of the problems.    for the people saying Robinson was open, I'm fairly certain he was the 4th read on that play.....and for those who say that Robert needed to throw the ball away if his first read isn't there, I say that's a bad play design if you need to throw the ball away if the first read isn't there.

No matter what the RG3 haters say, including old man Jurgensen, that 2nd and goal play symbolizes thee entire offense......poor play call....poor pass protection....poor job by the receivers getting separation......RG3 gets blamed

Actually, on this specific play, I think most people are piling on Helu for bum-fuzzling the block.

Here's what I see, (and don't see) for what it's worth:

1. The Eagles had exactly the right defense called for the play.  They were blitzing to the offensive right, which is the guy who was going to be unaccounted for by the OL. The hope was that the LB would chase Helu into the middle of the LOS, and follow the fake.  But, since he was blitzing to begin with, he just focused on the QB, and kept coming.

2. Helu made an attempt on the block.  It was a tough play, but he completely goobed it up.  He really needed to slow the guy down a little bit. Tough block, but this is professional football. You should be able to do that.

3. Robinson at the top of the screen is irrelevant.  Look at Screen Cap #3.  Griff is definitely looking at the middle. You can see where the stripes on the helmet are pointed. So, most likely Robinson is not his primary read.  I'd argue that there was nowhere near enough time for Griff to get from whatever the primary read was all the way back to the right and throw the ball before getting popped. And he had a blitzer to that side, which means he would have been throwing over a LB.  That's not going to work.   So, whether Robinson was open or not is completely irrelevant.

4. I cant be sure, but it certainly looks like Reed was supposed to head directly up-field, and then break inside.  Because Garcon was breaking outside.  That puts the DBs in a bit of a pickle as to who to double. I'm actually thinking that Reed looks like he should have gone straight up, and then run a slant.  That puts his body between the ball and defender. It's right where Robert was looking, and Robert MIGHT have had time to make that throw, because he wouldn't have had to move. 

5. I have no idea what Garcon was doing, because he goes off-screen. 

6. I can't blame Griffin for this.  Helu could have done a better job, one of the receivers could have gotten open. When he needed to unload the ball, there was nobody open, and there's no way he could know that Helu was going to just get jumped over.

7 I don't know that I blame the play-call either.  Sometimes the defense wins.  It happens. I'm going to assume that Reed did something wrong, just because where Robert was looking, there was nobody there, and that's not generally the way you draw it up.  

8. If the Reed ran the correct route, then I question the design of the play a little bit, but on the flip side, it could just be that the Eagles played good defense.  They do get paid also, and sometimes they just do something good.  

9. If Reed ran the wrong route, then the play design might have been fine, and we'll never know. 

We'll never know what was supposed to happen.  But, we can all agree what did happen was far from ideal. 

I'm sure he was also mad that he face planted into the grass with no helmet and had a 300lb Eagle crushing for 30 seconds. 

And then no OL helping him up

I've been saying this since the Detroit game.  The kid has no freedom and I'm not sure I enjoy that right now.  He's not developing at all.

Iv noticed so much of RG3 always taking both his hands to his helmet.  Does it all the time.  I agree with no freedom!

Funny. I see #11 open at the top of the screen in one on one coverage and with good position. RG# never looks at him. If he had thrown the ball in the fourth frame you posted (his feet were set in the farm before it)  it might have been a TD.

Actually he wasn't open. The route Robinson was running was never meant to continue towards the sideline, instead he was faking the outside route and then coming back across the middle of the field. Very common route actually. So if Griffin is looking and throws the ball when Robinson breaks outside it wouldn't have been completed anyway because that's not where Robinson ultimately would've ended up.

I hate the formation / run and shoot look. Our dynamic mobile QB confined to the pocket. Predictable. 

Look at our WR, run 4 yds and stop. Predictable. 

Afraid to run our WRs into the endzone. Working the 1 yd line and sidelines only. Predictable. 

Expecting Helu to play fake AND block was dumb. Helu may be our worst blocking back. I would rather him go out into a pattern versus expecting him to make the key block on RG3 's throwing shoulder. Not using our players to their strengths, predictable. 

And then no OL helping him up

Iv noticed so much of RG3 always taking both his hands to his helmet.  Does it all the time.  I agree with no freedom!

It's no coincidence he's been so good at running the no-huddle when he has free reign over the play calls....

I hate the formation / run and shoot look. Our dynamic mobile QB confined to the pocket. Predictable. 

Look at our WR, run 4 yds and stop. Predictable. 

Afraid to run our WRs into the endzone. Working the 1 yd line and sidelines only. Predictable. 

Expecting Helu to play fake AND block was dumb. Helu may be our worst blocking back. I would rather him go out into a pattern versus expecting him to make the key block on RG3 's throwing shoulder. Not using our players to their strengths, predictable. 

I don't know that you could tell Robert was going to be in the pocket from the formation.  Also, the fact that the Eagles were blitzing from the right of the offense, that does contain the QB from rolling that direction somewhat.

I don't know what Garcon did based on the pics, he is out of the screen.  I'm working under the pretense that Robinson was a decoy. I think Reed was supposed to run some type of a slant, inside move, something right at the goal-line. 

I think that the hope was that the LB would be fooled slightly by the fake, and would follow the RB into the line, or would at least hesitate.  But because he was blitzing, that was kind of negated.  

It's no coincidence he's been so good at running the no-huddle when he has free reign over the play calls....

This isn't exactly true.  He has a set of plays that he can call in certain situations. They install it as a system.

I think they'd like to have Robert do more of it, but because he missed the whole off-season, he's only got a few variations, and they don't trust it as much.  

Just a theory. 

Posting from my phone so I cant inbed.

Notice how long cam has to throw out of a heavy backfield.

Steve Smith is WIDE open deep and cam checks down. Totally misses him.

Carolina scores on this drive anyway so it will go unnoticed.

Coaches will notice, so will Cam.

Live and learn. Probably wont make the same mistake twice.

Robinson is open for a split second for a 3 yard gain.  But really this is just a poor route by Robinson.  You can see that he's rounding off his out route which A) tips the corner early as to where he's going and B ) doesn't allow his possible reception to be further up field.  He needs to drive that corner straight back, stick a foot in the ground and sharply cut right.  Then he would be around the 1 or 1 1/2 yard line...the corner would be driven further back and he could make the catch and get in.  I was a receiver back in the day and this is just basic stuff, so it boggles my mind how NFL caliber receivers can have that lazy of a route.

This is all kind of moot though because clearly RG3 was set on throwing to the other side and never even looked that way.

Archived