Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Hypothetical Question: If Shanahan Was To Be Fired, How Do You Think Most Observers/critics Would View That Decision?

Commander PK

Hypothetical Question (Regardless of how rest of season plays out)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If Shanahan was to be fired, how do you think most observers/critics would view that decision?

• Justifiable decision. 4 full seasons is more than enough time to produce a consistent winning Football team.
    • Poor/Impatient decision. 4 full seasons is not enough time to fix one of the worst run organizations in Football, and overcome a crippling 36 million dollar cap penalty.

I have some great friends that I will do just about anything for. A lot of those same friends I will not let work for me, or with me. In other words; great or even best friends doesn't make for a good defensive coach. Damnit GHH told you I wouldn't get further into it. lmao

Hail

Nor does hiring your own blood to work under you. **** it, let's open that can of worms too whilst we're at it.  :lol:

Hail. 

Yes hiring your own blood is very risky to say the least. Seriously ahh nevermind.

Hail

Yeah, It's Monday morning. Let's not get into that Elephant in the room to start the week., 

Step away from the 'puter. Pretend we were never here. Anyone asks, you know NOTHING!

Just smile and wave. I think we got away with that one.  :ph34r:

Hail. 

Have to agree w/ Burgold, either way the media would rake the Skins over the coals, it has nothing to do with objective reality but rather what fits into their preconceived notions.

I am a huge Shanafan, he has worked wonders on the franchise but overall, 4 years is a long time and we ought to see progress. If thing is going to be blown up, gimme a strong GM accountable for a head coach that chooses his staff but answers to a higher authority when the D/ST humiliate the franchise.

We argue about what should be done but dammit, SOMETHING sure has to happen

As best I have gathered from the insiders on this board...Allen is not tied to Shanahan and vice versa.

That's how i've always read it. I know Shanny got Allen hired, but it's quite easy to fire a head coach. And Allen and Snyder could easily talk it I've and decide to go in another direction. But I do hippie we keep Allen.

I really don't get the "worse organizations in football" statements. I mean yeah we were bad, but there are a lot of bad teams. I'll agree that the cap penalty was a big problem, but we still were able to compete in that. And the fact that we can't get players to line up correctly or to just stop committing penalties or to use timeouts correctly. That doesn't stop him from making halftime adjustments.

I mean we had a bad cap situation helped by Vinny and Danny but that also meant we had good talent at some positions. Now (pretty much by default) we've got a bunch of no names at these positions. So if we were one of the worse organizations in football, where are we now? Are we still there? Does Shanny deserve ANOTHER 5 years to get "his players" in the organization? I mean Marvin Lewis has been up and down in Cincy so it wouldn't be unheard of, but I just don't know.

Look at what Rob Ryan did to the Cowboys tonight.  Couldn't have made my case any better.  His Saints defense was all over them like stink on ****.  

Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.  

Rob Ryan was never the problem in Dallas. His defense last year looked like a MASH unit. Several key players had major injuries, Sean Lee was out for a good part of the season. Defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, safety Barry Church cornerback Orlando Scandrick and linebacker Bruce Carter, ended up on injured reserve and the Cowboys still ended up 8-8

I want results now also, but the reality is it's not happening for us this season.  In all likelihood, we are going to win a few more games and fizzle out.

but I still think the best course of action is to make some changes to the coaching staff on defense, keep the offense in place, and bring in some help via free agency with the cap space we will have.  

Most of the time, growing pains with a new coach are unavoidable.  The closest you can get to "results NOW" is next year, or maybe the year after.  We start over again, add probably another year or longer.  This season I think we just have to eat no matter what happens short of total and complete collapse.     

That sounds reasonable.  Offensively, they're well coached for the most part.  They really need talent upgrades more than anything.  Defensively, they need talent upgrades AND coaching upgrades.  

As for starting over though, I don't know if "most of the time" really applies anymore.  Even if it is most, I think it's 60/40, not overwhelming.  We've seen far too frequently, teams "start over" and not have it take forever.  Just in the last 2-3 years, SF, Indy, Philly, KC all started over and are definitively improved, some significantly, and almost immediately.  If you get a QB that's for real, and it takes more than 2-3 years, you're not doing it right.  I think the teams that take longer don't have a QB.

I think I talked myself into Shanahan staying because this is just his 2nd year with a QB.  Next year will tell the story.

Look at what Rob Ryan did to the Cowboys tonight.  Couldn't have made my case any better.  His Saints defense was all over them like stink on ****.  

Be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.  

LMAO jerry jones came out and said it was a mistake to fire him

"We made the decision at the time to go in a different direction and it doesn't look good right now" -Jerry Jones-

I really don't get the "worse organizations in football" statements. I mean yeah we were bad, but there are a lot of bad teams. I'll agree that the cap penalty was a big problem, but we still were able to compete in that. And the fact that we can't get players to line up correctly or to just stop committing penalties or to use timeouts correctly. That doesn't stop him from making halftime adjustments.

I mean we had a bad cap situation helped by Vinny and Danny but that also meant we had good talent at some positions. Now (pretty much by default) we've got a bunch of no names at these positions. So if we were one of the worse organizations in football, where are we now? Are we still there? Does Shanny deserve ANOTHER 5 years to get "his players" in the organization? I mean Marvin Lewis has been up and down in Cincy so it wouldn't be unheard of, but I just don't know.

We were the worst organization in football, our games were consistently like the game above and it got so bad fans were banned from bringing signs in the stadium voicing their displeasure with the organization. A lot of people are catching amnesia but the team was extremely bad, we were one of if not the oldest roster in the league we also had no draft picks and our cap situation was abysmal. 

We were the worst organization in football, our games were consistently like the game above and it got so bad fans were banned from bringing signs in the stadium voicing their displeasure with the organization. A lot of people are catching amnesia but the team was extremely bad, we were one of if not the oldest roster in the league we also had no draft picks and our cap situation was abysmal.

how many games did we win?

I never remember us having the top pick in the draft. You can talk about salary cap ramifications but even that doesn't make us the worse in football. We were a mediocre team...pretty much in he same situation that many fear that the Wizards are in now - a team that could consistently win anywhere between 6 and 10 games but would never be in the upper echelon of teams in the league. I remember these seasons very well as my signature then was one complaining about the front office and their dedication to high priced free agents, particularly over home grown talent. But even that dedication gave us a mediocre team. Nothing exceptional, but nothing like the 0-16 lions a few years back.

But I leave it to Skins fans to overreact to things.

My friend...under Vinny Cerrato this was one of the worst run organizations in Football.  Not necessarily the worst, but in the discussion.  2009 was the worst experience I have ever had as a fan.  This year pales in comparison, because we do have some key pieces in place...but the total team is just not there yet. 

LMAO jerry jones came out and said it was a mistake to fire him

"We made the decision at the time to go in a different direction and it doesn't look good right now" -Jerry Jones-

Hey, I give the man credit for having balls enough to address it.  They ****ed up.  Plain and simple.  Like another poster already said, their defense was decimated by injuries last year, and they made Rob Ryan the scapegoat.  

That miscalculation is costing them dearly, and even if they do end up winning the east.  It's another year with Romo sits to pee at the helm with no Super Bowl.   

I never remember us having the top pick in the draft. You can talk about salary cap ramifications but even that doesn't make us the worse in football. We were a mediocre team...pretty much in he same situation that many fear that the Wizards are in now - a team that could consistently win anywhere between 6 and 10 games but would never be in the upper echelon of teams in the league. I remember these seasons very well as my signature then was one complaining about the front office and their dedication to high priced free agents, particularly over home grown talent. But even that dedication gave us a mediocre team. Nothing exceptional, but nothing like the 0-16 lions a few years back.

But I leave it to Skins fans to overreact to things.

we went 4-12 in 2009 and we were an old roster do you not understand that?

Teams that were trash in 2009 had young unproven players we had a roster full of high priced vets or talented young pups and we were still 4-12 lol

1. rams 1-15

2. lions 2-14

3. bucs 3-13

4. redskins 4-12

5. chiefs 4-12

6. raiders 5-11 

rams, lions, bucs, chiefs and raiders were all young rosters we had a veteran roster and we were still trash, our team was a MESS.

randle el, moss, Fletcher, Orakpo, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell, Ladell Betts, Clinton Portis, Mike Sellers, Rock Cartwright,Laron Landry, Rocky Mcintosh, Andre Carter, Deangelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Albert Haynesworth, Cornelius Griffin, Phillip Daniels, Fred Smoot, Casey Rabach, Todd Collins, fred davis, Lorenzo Alexander,Randy Thomas AND Chris Samuels!!!!

A team with that much talent on their roster should NEVER go 4-12 , like I said the organization was a MESS we had talent and we sucked those other teams had rosters full of young guys.

2009 draft               

1 Brian Orakpo

3. Kevin Barnes

5 Cody Glenn

6.Robert Henson

7.Eddie Williams

7.Marko Mitchell

we traded for Jason Taylor with our 2nd round pick might I remind you and LeSean Mccoy was still on the board

2008 draft

2.Devin Thomas

2.Malcom Kelly

2.Fred Davis

3 Chad Rinehart

4.Justin Tryon

6.Durant Brooks

6.Kareem Moore

6.Colt Brennan

7.Rob Jackson

7.Chris Horton

again please explain how you feel the previous regime wasn't a complete utter mess?

Keep him for another year. Haslett has to go. I expect a .500 season or better next year regardless of possible new d and spec teams coaches. If we dont hit that mark then I'd be ok with the change.

While I would agree that early in the season the offense was more to blame than anything, the d was finding less blame due to the overshadowing. As I figured, now that the offense has been playing respectably, the defense is playing horridly. Its a shame because I do think we have an above average defensive unit.

randle el, moss, Fletcher, Orakpo, Chris Cooley, Jason Campbell, Ladell Betts, Clinton Portis, Mike Sellers, Rock Cartwright,Laron Landry, Rocky Mcintosh, Andre Carter, Deangelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Albert Haynesworth, Cornelius Griffin, Phillip Daniels, Fred Smoot, Casey Rabach, Todd Collins, fred davis, Lorenzo Alexander,Randy Thomas AND Chris Samuels!!!!

A team with that much talent on their roster should NEVER go 4-12 , like I said the organization was a MESS we had talent and we sucked those other teams had rosters full of young guys.

But wouldn't a counter argument to this statement be that you brought in Shanny, who inherited all of this "talent,"and he managed to win a total of only 11 games over the next two seasons? 

I personally like what Shanahan has built here.  His first two years were messed up by the upcoming and eventual lock out which all but ruined free agency.  Yes he made the McNabb mistake and there is no excusing that but he made the right call by noticing it and immediately moving on, getting Alfred Morris out of that deal was nice as well.  Just the fact that he was able to get a draft choice in return for Haynesworth was remarkable and getting an 4th for Campbell worked out as well (Kirk Cousins). Trent Williams, Ryan Kerrigan and RGIII in the first round is pretty damn good and he's done a good job of hitting on mid-round picks as well.

Personally I hate the fact that he refuses to partways with Haslett and I think his loyalty there is hurting the franchise but if he finally cuts ties this off-season I believe his tenure can be salvaged.  The offense has the ability to be incredible and at times is.  Fire Burns, fire Haslett, bring in some defensive help and see what happens next season.  If things go poorly and Shanahan isn't re-upped than the new coach will at least have a first round pick to work with along with a stud QB, RB, WR, TE and LT.

I want results now also, but the reality is it's not happening for us this season.  In all likelihood, we are going to win a few more games and fizzle out.

but I still think the best course of action is to make some changes to the coaching staff on defense, keep the offense in place, and bring in some help via free agency with the cap space we will have.  

Most of the time, growing pains with a new coach are unavoidable.  The closest you can get to "results NOW" is next year, or maybe the year after.  We start over again, add probably another year or longer.  This season I think we just have to eat no matter what happens short of total and complete collapse.     

If we fizzle out this season, why continue to stay this dangerous course with Mike Shanahan? If we get a new head coach, who's says we have to start all over again? The problem with our team isn't the talent, it is the head coach who is responsible for 2/3 of the team that is poorly coached. Most properly run organizations would have already acted and shown Haslett the door a long time ago. Their is no excuse as to why we are in the same spot as we were 4 seasons ago.

The only Shanahan/coordinator I want to keep is Kyle. Why not make him interim head coach and see if he lights any fire under the staffs butts.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, whatever some might say about him now in the media...I have no doubt that many would immediately jump on the organization for letting him go at the end of the season.  Unless the team suffers a total collapse and wins only 1 or 2 more games all year (if any) I see a TON of criticism of the organization coming if they were to fire him.  No doubt, they will make him a sympathetic figure.  

"Even the great Mike Shanahan could not fix that putrid organization."

"Mike Shanahan is a football mind, and a Super Bowl winning coach, and he had that organization heading in the right direction.  Snyder has showed that he has not changed.  Why would anybody want to coach for the Redskins?"  etc. etc.

Some of you need to be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.

so...it begins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291590/article/mike-shanahan-might-not-be-the-problem-for-redskins

I think most people would view it as yet another failed Glory Restoration attempt by Snyder. He was hands off this time, but beings hands off is not enough, and was not the only problem with this team before he made his decision to hire Shanahan/Allen. As others have already mentioned, most mediots expected the axe to fall last year, and even before he (Shanahan) came here, he was viewed as a guy who "Hadn't done anything since Elway," and was resting on past accomplishments.

Honestly, as with so much these days, it all comes back to perceptions. Those that hated Shanahan would view the firing as a necessary action, even one that was past due... Those who hate Snyder will view it as yet another wasted experiment by the circus tent, mad $$$ throwing Offseason Championship owner who has no clue what the **** he's doing.

I think most people would view it as yet another failed Glory Restoration attempt by Snyder. He was hands off this time, but beings hands off is not enough, and was not the only problem with this team before he made his decision to hire Shanahan/Allen. As others have already mentioned, most mediots expected the axe to fall last year, and even before he (Shanahan) came here, he was viewed as a guy who "Hadn't done anything since Elway," and was resting on past accomplishments.

Honestly, as with so much these days, it all comes back to perceptions. Those that hated Shanahan would view the firing as a necessary action, even one that was past due... Those who hate Snyder will view it as yet another wasted experiment by the circus tent, mad $$$ throwing Offseason Championship owner who has no clue what the **** he's doing.

which is why these perceptions are irrelevant in the first place

If Snyder fires Shanahan that will probably be the end for me.  There's not one coach out there that will excite me and give me hope of a better future.  No college coaches...not even Nick Saban....no retreads like Gruden, Lovie Smith etc...no up and coming flavor of the month co-ordinator will excite me.

Not even RG3 excites me anymore....see too many flaws in his game.

Only thing that would work is to use that $36 million cap space wisely on free agents under age 28...hire a new DC like Lovie Smith or see if we can get Mike Nolan....let them hire their own assistants and get rid of Raheem Morris....and find a real special teams coach. Then hope the scouts can continue to find those late round gems like Jordan Reed and Alfred Morris.

And to really stir up the hornets nest...trade RG3 for a 1st and 2nd plus a player.  If the Browns wanted him that bad they can give up one of their two 1st..a 2nd and Josh Gordon. I'd take that any day.

I think Cousins may surprise alot of people someday.

I want results now also, but the reality is it's not happening for us this season. In all likelihood, we are going to win a few more games and fizzle out.

Most of the time, growing pains with a new coach are unavoidable. The closest you can get to "results NOW" is next year, or maybe the year after. We start over again, add probably another year or longer. This season I think we just have to eat no matter what happens short of total and complete collapse.

We have 4 games left. You think we're going to win a 'frw' of them? I fully expect to lose at least 3 of those games, handing the Rams a top-3 pick on a platter (which is neither here nor there, but illustrates how bad we are).

I disagree with the OP entirely, VERY rarely has the national media backed Shanahan on ANYTHING. From hiring his son, to Haynesworth, to McNabb, to Grossman/Beck, to the Salary Cap penalty, to drafting Cousins, to the RG3 injury fiasco, etc. Almost every single controversy that has cropped up throughout his tenure, the national media has consistently taken every opportunity to take a warm, steaming dump on Shanahan and his regime

THEY are going to be calling for his head come Black Monday, not backing him.

If Snyder fires Shanahan that will probably be the end for me. There's not one coach out there that will excite me and give me hope of a better future. No college coaches...not even Nick Saban....no retreads like Gruden, Lovie Smith etc...no up and coming flavor of the month co-ordinator will excite me.

Not even RG3 excites me anymore....see too many flaws in his game.

Only thing that would work is to use that $36 million cap space wisely on free agents under age 28...hire a new DC like Lovie Smith or see if we can get Mike Nolan....let them hire their own assistants and get rid of Raheem Morris....and find a real special teams coach. Then hope the scouts can continue to find those late round gems like Jordan Reed and Alfred Morris.

And to really stir up the hornets nest...trade RG3 for a 1st and 2nd plus a player. If the Browns wanted him that bad they can give up one of their two 1st..a 2nd and Josh Gordon. I'd take that any day.

I think Cousins may surprise alot of people someday.

A few assorted comments on this post, sorry for the brief nature but I'm on my cell phone.

Nevermind the prospect of any new coach getting you excited again. Let's back up. Shanahan excites you? Why?

Reed wasn't a late round gem. He was a 3rd rounder that the majority of people who followed the draft really liked. We were lucky he FELL to us in the 3rd--we didn't dig him up.

Name any player other than Morris, drafted after the 3rd round, who hit? Perry Riley is probably the best you can come up with here. And he's average.

As for the Griffin/Cousins stuff...there isn't enough bandwidth in the world to allow me to appropriately express my feelings on that stuff. So I won't bother.

Archived