Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Hypothetical Question: If Shanahan Was To Be Fired, How Do You Think Most Observers/critics Would View That Decision?

Commander PK

Hypothetical Question (Regardless of how rest of season plays out)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If Shanahan was to be fired, how do you think most observers/critics would view that decision?

• Justifiable decision. 4 full seasons is more than enough time to produce a consistent winning Football team.
    • Poor/Impatient decision. 4 full seasons is not enough time to fix one of the worst run organizations in Football, and overcome a crippling 36 million dollar cap penalty.

4 years and I want results NOW. 5 year rebuilding program doesn't work in the nfl because where are we now? sitting at 3-6...again. 

I want results now also, but the reality is it's not happening for us this season.  In all likelihood, we are going to win a few more games and fizzle out.

but I still think the best course of action is to make some changes to the coaching staff on defense, keep the offense in place, and bring in some help via free agency with the cap space we will have.  

Most of the time, growing pains with a new coach are unavoidable.  The closest you can get to "results NOW" is next year, or maybe the year after.  We start over again, add probably another year or longer.  This season I think we just have to eat no matter what happens short of total and complete collapse.     

and I have said the Redskins suck.  I really don't think they suck, that's the frustration of a die-hard speaking.  They are incomplete, they are undisciplined, and they underachieve, but I do think we have some real talent here and a strong foundation.  

Right now though, the Redskins are just one of those lower end of the middle teams that can't put it all together for 60 minutes.  They find new and creative ways to **** up every week.  One week it's the defense, the next offense, special teams all the time.  

They are just not a team that you can look at and seriously expect them to make a run.  They could have showed they were Thursday night against a reeling and inferior opponent. They did not, and until they string a couple of wins together they are who they are.  A team that is now in last place in the NFC East.

This.

I voted for the first option, but I don't totally agree with either.

well what would you agree with.  Not being a smart ass.  I would like to know.

well what would you agree with.  Not being a smart ass.  I would like to know.

I wasn't being a smart ass with that answer either I just think it's a little too complex to cover with the two options.

Basically, my guess is that media reaction would be pretty close to 50-50. There would be some knee-jerk Snyder bashing (and those critics wouldn't deserve much thought), there would be a lot of others who would claim that Griffin was being allowed to dictate coaching decisions. Many others, though, would say that Shanny just couldn't be expected to continue if he had lost RG3 and others would point to the record and say that after 4 years a firing was justified.

That's my best guess. 

In the end, the reaction would depend on the replacement and how it worked out.

Before Shanny, I was always saying that we need to give our coaches 3 years to prove themselves. The only one we had given that type of time to (under Snyder) was Gibbs. Now its Shanny too. Honestly, I'm meh on keeping him vs firing him. I'm not really a fan of having him go into his last year without an extension, so I'd rather have a decision made soon. Honestly, I'd probably lean more towards letting him go at the end of the year. Not really for him in particular, but really because of his staff. We've got 2 of our 3 coordinators who don't know what they're doing and the other is his son. Not saying I don't trust his son, but I really don't trust his coaching choices. Back when he was in Denver (in the later years) he had the same problem with defense, so I don't see it getting much better.

So the questions become (a) who do we replace him with and ( B) will we see the Snyder of old return? And that's why I'd be in favor of keeping him - because I'm afraid of the abyss. But if we can keep Allen and let go of Shanny then I think we'd be ok.

The general consensus I have gathered from people who post here that work in Ashburn, or are generally closer to the team than the average "Fan" have said as much. I can't show you where. Take it for what it's worth.

I have a feeling there are very few people with that kind of access. as much as people may want to pretend like they do. there was no prior working relationship between Shanahan and Allen...just need wiki to know that.

And that to me is as bad as ol' interfering lil' Danny from his dark past if he'd do that just to show he has fully changed and honour the initial deal. Pressured to save face to the detriment of the franchise. 

Unless of course he genuinely believes that he deserves another year and then you seriously start to question the organisation from top to bottom. 

Hail. 

Unfortunately with Dan's past he isn't given much latitude.  Bad decisions and management in the past put him in a situation to be second-guessed on everything.  Firing Shanahan after this season would be seen no differently.

here was no prior working relationship between Shanahan and Allen...just need wiki to know that.

I know...I was saying they were not tied to each other.  As in, they both don't leave if one is let go.  You have me confused...

people in the know aren't posting here

that hasn't always been my experience over the nearly 10 years I have been posting here, but fair enough.  

For me, I really feel like we are at the "point of no return" with Shanahan.  They have to give him year 5 and at least a one year extension.  I feel like anything else will be setting us back even longer.  

that hasn't always been my experience over the nearly 10 years I have been posting here, but fair enough.

For me, I really feel like we are at the "point of no return" with Shanahan. They have to give him year 5 and at least a one year extension. I feel like anything else will be setting us back even longer.

should've said people in the know on this topic. Andyman left. nobody here carries his uhhhhh keyboard

To answer the question I don't think anyone in the media would be shocked, if you look at his overall record, his relationship with RG III, time management in the Dallas game, the epic meltdown in Minny and Denver, the undisciplined play all year, the appointment of Keith Burns who made a subpar special teams unit historically bad. The decision to fire Shanny would be justified by the media.   

Will be one last go with a new defensive coordinator. Hasslet will have to go and I think Shanny will do it without Danny putting the pressure.

This is the most logical choice. The offense is the area Mike is most intimately involved with and it's the area not getting loads of criticism. If he fires Haslett he can buy himself more time. 

This is the most logical choice. The offense is the area Mike is most intimately involved with and it's the area not getting loads of criticism. If he fires Haslett he can buy himself more time. 

Agreed. I voted for Mike staying, but if that involves keeping Hasshat then you might as well blow the whole thing up.

Agreed. I voted for Mike staying, but if that involves keeping Hasshat then you might as well blow the whole thing up.

The additional problem there is Shanahan should have NO input in picking the next DC if Haslett was to be canned given his abysmal career record on that side of the ball. 

But you just know he'll be the one with the final say hand picking his guy. 

What's the definition of madness again? SMH. 

Hail. 

The additional problem there is Shanahan should have NO input in picking the next DC if Haslett was to be canned given his abysmal career record on that side of the ball. 

But you just know he'll be the one with the final say hand picking his guy. 

What's the definition of madness again? SMH. 

Hail. 

I could not agree more. Mike should let someone else handle the DC and stay waaaay far from it after it's installed imho. If we end up with Slowik at DC then we will know its a Mike Shanny move.

I think the coaching community would be very critical if Snyder fired Shanahan after/during year 4. And aren't those the guys Snyder would need to coax into coming to DC to replace the now-fired staff?

This is still a team in transition, but the future signs are promising. I suspect Shanahan may be pressured into upgrading the defensive coaching staff (Haslett, perhaps even Slowik and Burney) as well as finding someone besides Burns to lead special teams -- but this team has built depth and scheme consistency over the last couple of years.

There's a great foundation being built for the Skins, as its "Vinny'isms" have been mitigated and the aging team overhauled under difficult conditions. Another year or two and this team will be in its prime which may allow Shanahan and Allen to bring in better positional coaches rather than having to rely on old coaching ties and former Broncos coaches.

I could not agree more. Mike should let someone else handle the DC and stay waaaay far from it after it's installed imho. If we end up with Slowik at DC then we will know its a Mike Shanny move.

If we end up with Slowik as DC this organisation hasn't moved forward at all from the complete joke it was before lil' Danny stepped back. 

Hail. 

If we end up with Slowik as DC this organisation hasn't moved forward at all from the complete joke it was before lil' Danny stepped back. 

Hail. 

I can tell you this from someone with tons of credentials "Slowick had a large part in Mike's demise in Denver". Im not going into the subject any further.

In terms of analysis and criticism, a Shanahan firing would not generate a lot of outrage.  His teams have not performed.  In today's world of sports what team gets give years to rebuild?  Now, there are those who delight in bashing the Redskins and these already have stories penned where they lambaste the 'skins for keeping Shanny and one that crucifies them for firing him.  Some will complain whever way we go.  Mike Foolish is one of those I think.

But in terms of the NFL coaching fraternity, they understand the drill.  Four years is an eternity in sports.  Four years is about the average lifetime of a player.  This team came out in year four like it was year one and they had never seen the playbook.  They've surrendered on special teams.  They will give away the 30 yard line because they are such incredible failures at coverage.  The defense can't stop anyone.  This team is healthy. They can't even blame injuries.  What coach looking at the Redskins talent and knowing they had four years to install a philosophy would think that the job was being done well here and that Shanny deserves another go?

I'm not saying what we should or shouldn't do.  My own preference is to boot Haslett and keep Shanahan one more year, however, as good as the offense has looked the last two weeks, I don't like that RGIII is getting hit every down.  Part of that is crappy o line, but you have to be able to scheme more protection or quicker throws.  If this guy is our franchise, we get him Ramseyed or David Carred.

Self inflicted insanity that hits us ALL. HARD!

Hail. 

I have some great friends that I will do just about anything for. A lot of those same friends I will not let work for me, or with me. In other words; great or even best friends doesn't make for a good defensive coach. Damnit GHH told you I wouldn't get further into it. lmao

Hail

Archived