Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Hypothetical Question: If Shanahan Was To Be Fired, How Do You Think Most Observers/critics Would View That Decision?

Commander PK

Hypothetical Question (Regardless of how rest of season plays out)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If Shanahan was to be fired, how do you think most observers/critics would view that decision?

• Justifiable decision. 4 full seasons is more than enough time to produce a consistent winning Football team.
    • Poor/Impatient decision. 4 full seasons is not enough time to fix one of the worst run organizations in Football, and overcome a crippling 36 million dollar cap penalty.

For me, whatever some might say about him now in the media...I have no doubt that many would immediately jump on the organization for letting him go at the end of the season.  Unless the team suffers a total collapse and wins only 1 or 2 more games all year (if any) I see a TON of criticism of the organization coming if they were to fire him.  No doubt, they will make him a sympathetic figure.  

"Even the great Mike Shanahan could not fix that putrid organization."

"Mike Shanahan is a football mind, and a Super Bowl winning coach, and he had that organization heading in the right direction.  Snyder has showed that he has not changed.  Why would anybody want to coach for the Redskins?"  etc. etc.

Some of you need to be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.

I doubt he'd be fired before the offseason but after four years, most talking heads/analysts will look at his record and that's it. You're also forgetting that most of the national media thinks he's a dumbass for the way he handled the Seattle game and basically blame him for getting RGIII hurt (in addition to how every game we play, the announcers seem to get off on how they SO RECKLESSLY subject him to hits) so his rep isn't that high to begin with in terms of coaching here. It sucks but that's how it is. My reasons for wanting him gone are more related to the actual product on the field 

So yeah, I'm pretty sure that they will understand why. If anything, they'll be critical of how we still suck at finding coaches. 

They've questioned his intelligence since the Rec Grossman John Beck fiasco

That too. 

Shanahan's rep isn't as high as people think. Yes, they know he's a great Xs and Os guy but his decision-making has been heavily criticized from the get go even with McNabb. Outside of ES, a lot of ppl thought he was in the wrong there

Like I said...many criticize his decisions from time to time, but I think the coin would flip if he was to be fired.

If it benefits our football team (hypothetical result), who cares what anyone else thinks?

Hail. 

so you don't think that controversy or criticism affects our Football bottom line at all?  The players are oblivious or don't care?

Like I said...many criticize his decisions from time to time, but I think the coin would flip if he was to be fired.

I don't. He's been painted as an arrogant jerk by the media and ESPN that doesn't win and fights with his star players. I doubt any of the national media even remember/know about cap gate. 

In fact I read articles in January talking about firing him for how he handled RGIII. Don't give the media too much credit for making decisions based on facts and research lol

36 million dollar hit didn't take it's effect in Shanny year 1 and 2 and it wasn't the worst organization  like some people claim it was. It's common to see any NFL franchise fire a coach after a second poor season. Right now, I wouldn't care if he got fired next week.

4 years and I want results NOW. 5 year rebuilding program doesn't work in the nfl because where are we now? sitting at 3-6...again. I want our franchise QB to finish a 12 year career here and not be forced to retire after his 3rd season.

We have the Shanahan clan, Mike and Kyle; before that there was the Shottenheimer family, and I mean EVERYBODY!

That's part of the problem; one coach screws up, and another covers or redirects the criticism and focus to another area. Has ANYONE ever heard a peep from any coaching family directed towards another ? Except of course the Ryan clan; they're infamous for controversy.

Its not terribly hard for one coach/OC/DC to say 'well  'x' person made a mistake or didn't take into consideration, or anything else that resembles criticism. Egos are a monster, and if you let it in your house, your valuables are missing soon and your daughter has missed her period. When questioned, they only talk of how nice it was for a person to take them into their home.

The mediots are already clueless; if they were so damn smart, they'd be coaching or playing still.

If the media criticizes us for firing Shanny after this year, then I know we did the right thing. Snyders not going to do it, and that's OK with me if he wants him for another year, but I'm afraid we'll do no better than we did last year. Shanny is good when taking over a GOOD team, but lousy when trying to build one.

The record is the record.  We did win the division at 10-6 last year and have the salary cap crap to deal with, but we have not followed up this season, and you just can't ignore Years 1 and 2 of this new regime.  We won one less game in 2010-11 than Zorn did in 2008-9.....Snyder has to feel ripped off for that alone.

So, no, I don't think we'd get hammered too much if Shanny were to be dismissed (although I don't think he is going to get fired, and will likely get a one-year extension).  What would influence the reaction more would be who Snyder chose as the replacement.  If he went after a big name like Cowher or Gruden,he'd be grilled. If he brought in Briles, he'd be accused of kowtowing to RG3. If he went after a relative no name coordinator, I think the reaction would be more muted....and hopefully Dan would give such a guy the same amount of time that he's given Shanahan so far.

So, no, I don't think we'd get hammered too much if Shanny were to be dismissed (although I don't think he is going to get fired, and will likely get a one-year extension).  .....

That's what I foresee happening too. 

And that to me is as bad as ol' interfering lil' Danny from his dark past if he'd do that just to show he has fully changed and honour the initial deal. Pressured to save face to the detriment of the franchise. 

Unless of course he genuinely believes that he deserves another year and then you seriously start to question the organisation from top to bottom. 

Hail. 

That's what I foresee happening too. 

And that to me is as bad as ol' interfering lil' Danny from his dark past if he'd do that just to show he has fully changed and honour the initial deal. Pressured to save face to the detriment of the franchise. 

Unless of course he genuinely believes that he deserves another year and then you seriously start to question the organisation from top to bottom. 

Hail.

He should be asking Allen about this decision. He might as well get used to deferring these decisions.

That too.

Shanahan's rep isn't as high as people think. Yes, they know he's a great Xs and Os guy but his decision-making has been heavily criticized from the get go even with McNabb. Outside of ES, a lot of ppl thought he was in the wrong there

Agree. A lot of fans from other teams don't view Shanny very high.

Archived