Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Missing In Action

FuriousD

So here we are at the half way point and typically as good a time to look back as look forward. Personally, I can't help thinking about some of the names we had high hopes for back in the summer and wonder what the hell happened to them?  He's a quick list of MIA's...

Chris Thompson ~ The amazing invisible man!  Wow, the hype on this guy at the beginning was high.  Folks were drooling about this guy getting touches in space and sitting back to watch the fireworks.  But, no. And then it was maybe he can help in the return game (God knows we need it) but as bad as things are back there, and it's bad,... he's nowhere to be seen.  With 8 games left,... will he ever get to dress, let alone play?

Aldrick Robinson ~ 4 catches through 8 games? Really?! Again, the summer buzz had this guy catching everything thrown at him, growing into a well rounded receiver and setting himself up for a breakout year.  Minus one flukie bomb for a TD when he was just as surprised he caught the ball as the rest of the world, it's been an absolute yawnfest.

Baccari Rambo ~ Not totally MIA but certainly not the debut campaign we envisioned for him either. Remember when Shanahan said the players kept at the end of camp would give the team the best chance to win? Well, Dejon Gomes was moved to make room for Rambo and I don't remember Gomes ever being benched!  Hopefully, Raheem Morris quickly figures out how to stop Rambo's head from spinning and the kid can get back in there and start making plays...

Brandon Jenkins ~ Our fearless pash-rushing dynamo has exactly one tackle and zero sacks to his credit so far.  Not exactly all-world. Also, it seems to me he was out there fairly often early in the year but his playing time has fallen off.  Is he nicked up? In the doghouse?  Or down at the end of the bench with Baccari trying to get his head screwed on straight?

Joshua Morgan ~ Again, not exactly MIA but holy mother of god, 11 catches through 8 games and a bunch of crappy kickoff returns?! Feels like a demotion and it certainly is. Eight more paychecks to go, Josh...

I know most of these kids are still very young but there's disapointment obviously when there are glaring holes to be filled and the stage is set for them to step up.  Here's hoping they learn quickly how to get their fingers out and be ready for second half push!

Some of the guys you listed were late round rookies. Those guys typically don't make impacts their rookie year. Guys like Alfy Mo are the exception.

Rambo played today and actually played well for the second game in a row(well in the sense that we didn't hear his name called for getting used and abused like early in the season).

Josh Morgan and Aldrick Robinson though I agree. We could release both tomorrow and neither would find a job in the NFL above #4 on a depth chart at best.

Minus Josh Morgan, these are sort of the guys you want to be MIA... 3 rookies and a niche role WR.

Obviously it would help if they were doing more, but you wouldn't necessarily expect any of them to be contributing. We're talking about late round draft picks. It's not as if Brian Orakpo has disappeared (ok maybe a little bit but you get the point).

The ability, or lack thereof, of this regime in developing receivers has been downright tragic.

The combined stats for receivers drafted by this regime is 111 receptions, 1619 yards, and 11 TDs.

Looks pretty good, except that this is the combined stats of four receivers since 2010. (Terrence Austin, Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul, and Aldrick Robinson) Hell, the majority of these combined stats belong to HankTime, who isn't coming close to living up to his draft position.

For comparison, Doug Baldwin, an UDFA for Seattle in 2011, already has 103 receptions, 1,526 yards, and 8 TDs for his career.

It's vets like Orakpo, Morgan, Fletcher an the D line who have been the biggest culprits, not the rooks.

And Josh LeRibeus not being active ONCE through 8 games. That's looking more and more like another bust line pick from thi organisations recent history an the HC's career one.

Hail.

Well, Maurice Hurt can come off PUP soon, if LeRib gets cut to bring him up, then we'll know

The ability, or lack thereof, of this regime in developing receivers has been downright tragic.

The combined stats for receivers drafted by this regime is 111 receptions, 1619 yards, and 11 TDs.

Looks pretty good, except that this is the combined stats of four receivers since 2010. (Terrence Austin, Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul, and Aldrick Robinson) Hell, the majority of these combined stats belong to HankTime, who isn't coming close to living up to his draft position.

For comparison, Doug Baldwin, an UDFA for Seattle in 2011, already has 103 receptions, 1,526 yards, and 8 TDs for his career.

Sorry they have not lived up to your expectations ... i guess... Just as a matter of interest what were your expectations - HOF- multiple probowls  ?

Niles Paul, Terrance Austin, and Aldrick Robinson all drafted in the 5th round and beyond ... Hankerson had a serious injury in his first major game as a rookie and is really stepping up as a No .2. WR and made some key catches last night and throughout the season - Paul for the last two years has been a TE - and again last night made some key plays in the three TE package ...

Everyone gets upset about production Vs Hype ... but then forget just how very long the offseason and how very short the actual NFL season is and the fact that newspapers websites bloggers have to talk about something and they will talk about players who catch their eye either in collage or on the practice fields in the OTAs and what do you want them to say---" oh well Aldrick Robinson seems to be commited and making improvements in his game based on the practice field but we all know he is going to suck "

Generally everyone who says - player X has not lived up to my expectations of him - generally have unrealistic expectations ...

Hank again really? coming close to living up to a third rounder? Third in production last year, second so far this year, quietly had a good game yesterday. Stop beating a dead horse. Hank is coming along just fine, ask the HC. 

Santana and Morgan are my only real disappointments on offense this year. The oline I thought would play better, but I still have the bad taste of a line with a 47 yo Rabach, Steven freaking Heyer and that slow blob we brought back from Buffalo whos name im trying to forget. Ill just czll him The Portis Roadblock.

On defense, I would have liked more out of Jenkins and BM. I might as well say our entire front 3 would make me a little happier if they weren't holding such a nice little pockets for QBs to throw from, since our OLBs have done well crashing from outside. London is doing exactly what I think we all knew he would.

I hate Joshua Morgan in the return game. He is the only return man in the league who doesn't catch the ball while moving forward (what a concept!)

Also, he continues to make bad decisions punt returning. He never knows when to let the ball bounce or when to catch it. And it results in the Redskins starting drive after drive after drive inside their own 10-yard line. 

If that's the best we have at PR, I'd rather put no one back deep and go for a block every time. At least then there is no risk of a fumble. 

i would really prefer having Niles Paul back as the kickoff returner and Santana moved in as the punt returner.  

Morgan, I keep fearing, is going to cost us a game back there.  I'd rather he was just in the wideout rotation and maybe as a blocker on Special Teams.

He is. But don't ask the HC. He's one of the biggest bones of contention around here.  :(

Hail. 

Again everyone questions the Coach when expectations are not met. The team was a mess, we are seeing production from late round picks, all the pieces are not in place yet. I still back Shanahan the Head Coach until he is no longer that. I trust MS on football matters over all the posters here combined, but hey that's just me. 

I had Southwest Airlines on speed dial just in case Morgan screwed up by fumbling the KO late in the game.

I cringe every time I see him with the ball; why not use Moss instead? Its getting old watching Morgan run directly into the pile of players instead of at least trying to kick it outside.

As far as the others go, a little more time will do them good; young players need a little experience under their belts, but there's no excuse for Morgan; he's just another thug looking for a paycheck...

Chris Thompson ~ 

Aldrick Robinson ~ 

Brandon Jenkins ~ 

Joshua Morgan ~ 

Chris Thompson - Showed flashes but is also recovering from ACL surgery as well just like RG3. Probably working his way back and having struggles just not being quite himself yet as well as being a young guy and learning. Also, Helu has stepped up this season. Would love to see him get more reps at KR/PR again.

Aldrick Robinson - No idea what is up with this guy. Abused on running plays when he has to block (see Denver) and drops passes that hit him in the hands or the chest. Makes a play every few games that makes you realize what he could be. So frustrating.

Brandon Jenkins - His role decreased once Jackson came back off suspension but hes also a rookie learning a lot so I wouldn't expect to see him out there dominating this year. His time will come in the near future and I think that is why everybody is excited about him.

Joshua Morgan - I am a lifelong Hokie and got his autograph at TC but seriously, I have no idea why he sees the field. His $6mil salary will plug a hole nicely somewhere. 

Of the list... Rambo seems to have gotten the message of his benching and he's playing better.

The rest have earned where they are, except for Jenkins...  who is languishing behind Bust Orakpo.

Other names on the list..  

Brian Orakpo..  yay he made two tackles yesterday. His path to the QB is exactly the sme every time. Every play. (and it never gets there)

Tyler Palumbus. He's not missing..  anything but his blocks. That guy is a straight liability. if we gave Chester a bag of potatoes to take out of the huddle and set on the ground next to him, it would be more effective than Palumbus. At least someone might trip over it.

Running game goes MIA as soon as we run right. Palumbus gets steamrolled. 

Pass blocking,,  he doesn't even appear to know what that IS..   guys go past him with hand moves. Punch his arms away like swatting a fly and he's lost.

~Bang

Brian Orakpo..  yay he made two tackles yesterday. His path to the QB is exactly the sme every time. Every play. (and it never gets there)

~Bang

Totally agree with this.  We need more from him.  

If he asks for a big contract in the offseason, I'd let him walk.  I'm more impressed with Rob Jackson in that spot.  He seems to make a play every game and was huge down the stretch last season.

Rambo is re-emerging, Jenkins has been banged up. Robinson is too inconsistent and is like Taylor Jacobs in that he gets hyped up every camp and then doesn't deliver much on the field. Morgan needs to go, and with that contract this is his last season with us thankfully. Stone hands, and now he's apparently afraid to catch the ball on returns. They even replaced him later in the game on punt returns with Moss. Chris Thompson has wheels, but is slowed recovering from injury and just needs time to adapt to NFL speed. I wish he would do that soon and look good on practice so we could put him back at returns. Even what little he offered was better than Morgan.

Well, Maurice Hurt can come off PUP soon, if LeRib gets cut to bring him up, then we'll know

It's probably going to be Tapp that get's cut.

Then hopefully it's Golston for Carriker.

Tyler Palumbus. He's not missing..  anything but his blocks. That guy is a straight liability. if we gave Chester a bag of potatoes to take out of the huddle and set on the ground next to him, it would be more effective than Palumbus. At least someone might trip over it.

Running game goes MIA as soon as we run right. Palumbus gets steamrolled. 

Pass blocking,,  he doesn't even appear to know what that IS..   guys go past him with hand moves. Punch his arms away like swatting a fly and he's lost.

~Bang

That is the funniest thing I've seen all day, Bang.

Thank you for that, brother :lol:

Speaking of missing in action, nice of Eddie Royal to show up. Before the TD yesterday I hadn't heard his name called since he signed with us before last year. Almost figured he was still at Morton's.

Re-watched the game last night and I heard Fouts say "Eddie Royal almost signed with the Redskins," and I was like, "No... he DID verbally commit to signing..." lol.

But I digress, water out of the fire hose and all ;)

Archived