Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Other Sport Team Names Can Be 'offensive'?

Bonez3

I would be sick if the Skins ever changed their name. While I partially sympathize with the few that feel it's offensive, it's clearly not used in derogatory fashion.

Anyway, I've hypothesized that almost any name can be offensive to a small group of people if taken out of context. Some I mentioned are as followed..

Patriots- when they played in England, how do you think the Brittish view that term in the reference its used.

Saints- Maybe to the atheist or other non-denominations it can be seen as undesirable

Giants- Little people probably don't like this

Anyone else have some to demonstrate that names can be offensive if viewed in another light to certain goups

If you really want to get right down to what could be or should be considered offensive by Native Americans in particular, the Buffalo Bills is the single most offensive name in American sports.

~bang

Honestly. I've heard Yankee used more as a negative term that anything else

The ones in the op are all big reaches btw.

If we were to use old movie quotes as a basis for offensive words, dirty Yankee and damn Yankee are right up there.

we'd be forced to order vinegar pickled cabbage strips on our bratwurst, lest you offend some passing German person.

~Bang

Honestly. I've heard Yankee used more as a negative term that anything else

The ones in the op are all big reaches btw.

I know- I'm actually making light of it all using almost non-existant complaints. Giants offending LP's....

Anyway, I like Yankees and Fighting Irish.

I think most people could find something to offend them about just about any name if they try hard enough.

You know why Fighting Irish, is really NOT offensive, because the vast majority of Irish people don't find it offensive...even if it does most definitely perpetuate a stereotype. 

061018_Notre_Dame_University_mascot.jpg

Also, Oklahoma City Thunder. Red People City Thunder? Racist. Same goes for the red people sooners

New Orleans Saints should be offensive to Catholics, seeing their heritage mocked with a cheesy logo for a sports team

Cowboys, extremely disrespectful to all of the slaughtered native Americans. You don't see a team called the Nazis do you?

People of Scandinavian heritage should be boiling mad at the Vikings... Mocking their proud culture with a ridiculous horn after every first down. Glad that some asshole in Minnesota decided to sum up the entire history of the proud Scandinavian people with a ****ing horn. Why not just dress up some idiot with a blond wig and an animal cloak and have him parade around the sideline? Wait...

Also, Colts and Broncos .. Again, PETA is not laughing. Brutalizing and domesticating these beautiful animals, it is barbaric

If Fighting Irish is not offensive, but "Drunken Irish" is, what does that say about our culture?

The Miami Dolphins logo with a captive dolphin being forced to perform circus tricks. PETA will get that one changed, just watch

And yes, 10000% serious

PETA has been after the Packers to change their name: http://www.ctsportsmen.com/news/peta_wants_green_bay.htm

Vikings is very offensive. Celebrating rape, murder, and pillaging?

Agree with Bang on Buffalo Bills. You think a NY resident like Ray Halbritter would do something about it.

Good thread.

You know why Fighting Irish, is really NOT offensive, because the vast majority of Irish people don't find it offensive...even if it does most definitely perpetuate a stereotype. 

061018_Notre_Dame_University_mascot.jpg

What's your basis for making the claim that most Irish don't find this offensive (or do you mean Americans who claim some Irish ancestry)? It's a blatant negative stereotype little different from the racist cartoons that were used to attack the Irish in the 19th century.

:)

What's your basis for making the claim that most Irish don't find this offensive (or do you mean Americans who claim some Irish ancestry)? It's a blatant negative stereotype little different from the racist cartoons that were used to attack the Irish in the 19th century.

there is no evidence that they do?  :lol:

I carry a lot of Irish blood.  Almost 50%.  I celebrate Patty's day every year.  I eat ham and cabbage on Patty's day.  :)  In truth, I don't know a single person of Irish descent that is offended by "Fighting Irish."  I have often used this as an example of how somebody could be offended...but I'm not really offended by it.  I don't know anyone who is.  However, if some Irish were found to be offended...I would understand why.  Should the name be changed?  If the majority of people with Irish blood in this country decide it should.   

and without turning this thread in that direction.  What stereotype does the Redskins logo perpetuate?  that Fighting Irish logo certainly perpetuates one.  As you said, very cartoonish. 

Also, Oklahoma City Thunder. Red People City Thunder? Racist. Same goes for the red people sooners

New Orleans Saints should be offensive to Catholics, seeing their heritage mocked with a cheesy logo for a sports team

Cowboys, extremely disrespectful to all of the slaughtered native Americans. You don't see a team called the Nazis do you?

People of Scandinavian heritage should be boiling mad at the Vikings... Mocking their proud culture with a ridiculous horn after every first down. Glad that some asshole in Minnesota decided to sum up the entire history of the proud Scandinavian people with a ****ing horn. Why not just dress up some idiot with a blond wig and an animal cloak and have him parade around the sideline? Wait...

Also, Colts and Broncos .. Again, PETA is not laughing. Brutalizing and domesticating these beautiful animals, it is barbaric

If Fighting Irish is not offensive, but "Drunken Irish" is, what does that say about our culture?

Zoony you nailed it!

Especially with the Saints and the Vikings, both of which are names that are obviously meant to inspire yet a lot of the objections I've heard from Native Americans center around the caricature of the culture which the Saints and Vikings most certainly should fit into.

And yes, Yankees as well, same with Demon Deacons...and Fighting Irish.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've been seeing from Notre Dame is just "Irish", have they dropped "Fighting"? But the use of the Leprechaun.....you're kidding right?! And are all Catholics Irish or is this just a further perpetuation of the stereotype? If I'm not mistaken I do believe that the majority of the Catholic church exists outside of Ireland.

And if we're talking captive animals then the Seattle Seahawks need to release their bird....but no one listens to PeTA ever since they objected to NYC killing rats.

Ham?  You should be eating corned beef, much better.

I agree.  Growing up my mom didn't like it, lol, so we got potatoes, ham, and cabbage.  

Actually it's not bad, my mom is a good cook.  :)

Yeah, but the Irish never faced discrimination in America.....

that is not entirely accurate.  The discrimination was of a different nature...but it was there.  Irish immigrants were treated poorly upon arrival.

Archived