Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Marshall Mathers Lp 2

Toe Jam

Eminem's new album leaked today. I've had a chance to listen to it a couple of times, and I'm pretty impressed. It's probably the best album he's done since The Eminem Show. If I had to give it a score, I'd say 3.5/5.0.

Favorite track by far is Headlights. Really powerful stuff. On the other hand, Love Game is awful. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if this is his last album. He drops a few hints about this.

What do you guys think?

Em is probably my second favorite of all time....

However, I'm sure this will be trash. I tried to lobby for Relapse for years before admitting it was horse ****. Recovery was better but not great. His music doesn't grab me as much now. 

Berzerk was ****ing trash. Rap God was amazing lyrical but did not need to be six minutes. The whole inspirational tip he is on now irritates me. I hope this album isn't a bunch of that **** with generic beats and generic people on hooks. Plus, he screwed himself by naming it the MMLP part 2. That never works.

I'll hold off on listening until next week though. 

I've heard the following songs:

Survivor: Awful

Berzerk - Meh

Rap God - Awesome

Monsters - Wtf

Love Game - Disappointment 

I'll probably give it a couple listens when all of the songs (deluxe, target exclusives, etc.) are out.  Hopefully the rest of the album is better then what's out right now.

I've heard the following songs:

Survivor: Awful

Berzerk - Meh

Rap God - Awesome

Monsters - Wtf

Love Game - Disappointment 

I'll probably give it a couple listens when all of the songs (deluxe, target exclusives, etc.) are out.  Hopefully the rest of the album is better then what's out right now.

You should give Bad Guy, Legacy, Headlights, and Beautiful Pain.

Bad Guy is pretty much Stan Pt. 2. Legacy is a pretty interesting song, rhymes the same syllables in every verse. Headlights is a deep song with a great hook from Nate Reuss. Beautiful Pain could be the best song on the album IMO but it's a deluxe track.

You should give Bad Guy, Legacy, Headlights, and Beautiful Pain.

Bad Guy is pretty much Stan Pt. 2. Legacy is a pretty interesting song, rhymes the same syllables in every verse. Headlights is a deep song with a great hook from Nate Reuss. Beautiful Pain could be the best song on the album IMO but it's a deluxe track.

The last minute and a half of Bad Guy is godly. Gave me chills the first time I heard it.

Don't mean to thread jack, but since we're on the topic of white rappers, I really suggest you all DL the Blue Chips 2 mixtape (Action Bronson). It's going to be up for mixtape of the year, IMO. Solid from start to finish. He's an absolute beast on the mic.

Cosign. Action is that dude. Check out his album Well Done with Statik Selektah. His homey Meyhem Lauren is dope too.

It's just an OK album.

I like his rapping but couldn't care less for the singing (hooks especially) or the usage of old rock songs. Sampling old songs got played out in the 90's. I don't think it's time to bring it back yet.

Interestingly, some of the songs I like better are the ones featuring female artists. The one with Rihanna and the one with the other female were both good. Legacy and Monster are what I think they're called.

The rapping is top notch. It's the beats that could really use some work and the chorus of many songs just don't work.

It's just an OK album.

I like his rapping but couldn't care less for the singing (hooks especially) or the usage of old rock songs. Sampling old songs got played out in the 90's. I don't think it's time to bring it back yet.

Interestingly, some of the songs I like better are the ones featuring female artists. The one with Rihanna and the one with the other female were both good. Legacy and Monster are what I think they're called.

The rapping is top notch. It's the beats that could really use some work and the chorus of many songs just don't work.

It didn't get played out per say, it got way too expensive.  An album like Paul's Boutique [one of the genre's best] could never be done today because the cost of all the royalties would be astronomical.  I do agree though, as time went by, music naturally moved on.

The album is as good as any he's released since George W's first term in office but it isn't close to as good as MMLP or The Eminem Show.  That's the truth.  It's like a 3-3.5/5.  Rap God is my favorite track but it could be two minutes shorter.

Personally I am sick of pop/hip-hop crossing over.  Rihanna would never be on an Eminem album that had any chance of being considered a classic.

Basically if you want a break from today's mainstream trash, you'll be pleased, if you want another MMLP, you'll be disappointed.

I know I'm getting old. I love the album.

The sampling is from songs I remember my Mom/Dad listening to when I was a kid, which is a nice little addition for me. I like a lot of the songs on the album (although not all are great). My favorite Em CD in quite some time.

*shrug*

Different folks, different strokes!

Let's see ... I've downloaded about 8 of the songs off the album and have been jamming out to it on my commute. Here's my thoughts:

Berzerk ... AWFUL. Maybe not awful ... but when I heard it on the radio the first time I thought, WTF is this rock/pop/weird version of Eminem. But, that song apparently struck a chord because it's being played a lot, but I think it does a bad service to the rest of the album.

#1 seed: Headlights --- gives me chills listening to it

#2 seed: Beautiful Pain ft. Sia --- very solid song

#3 seed: Desperation ft. Jaime N. Commons --- awesome ... pump up the volume and jam out

#4 seed: Wicked Ways ft. X Ambassadors --- another great song

#5 seed: Rap God --- great song, not sure I get the hype. Maybe need to listen more

#6 seed: Rhyme or Reason --- pretty good usage of the old song

#7 ... The Monster --- eh ... pretty good but probably another one of those earworm radio plays ft. Rihanna

I really think we'll end up seeing/hearing Headlights ft. the guy from Fun as one of the most played songs of the year...

Archived