Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post-Shanahan Era...

TradeTheBeal!

Shanahan deserves at least one more year.  Let's face it.  The Skins are STILL paying penance for the debacle that Cerrato/Snyder left him.  The cap penalty makes a huge difference in the caliber of players you are able to put on the roster, and we are seeing its effects played out on the field.

Next year Shanahan will truly have a clean slate to work with.  Only then should he be judged by what he puts out onto the field.

Shanahan lost me when he said John Beck was a NFL QB.

Also, Reid took over a 2-win team and is 8-0. I'm not sure inheriting a bad roster is a viable excuse for a fourth-year coach in the modern NFL.

People will say the Chiefs were a good team with a bad coach.

Unfortunately for Shanny, he's the GM and coach. Either he sucks and drafted a lot of talent, and he sucks at using it, or he's a great coach, and the talent sucks so much that even he can't do anything with it.

No, I was wrong. It could also be both.

Shanahan lost me when he said John Beck was a NFL QB.

This is where I've been, and where I'll say that you have to know what he's saying to Snyder/Allen and not the press.

If he's been pushing the likes of McNabb, Grossman, Beck, and RGIII in his 2nd year off of ACL surgery as being good NFL QBs that he can win with, with the rest of the talent on this team for real and not just in the press, he's got to go.

But I don't know what he's been telling Snyder/Allen.

Watching our defense make the plays they did today, I'm more convinced than ever that we could compete with the right coaching staff. We have massive holes in the secondary and O-line, as well as a few holes to fill (Moss, Morgan, Fletcher, Carriker), but it's the coaching staff that really needs cleaning out. I've been apathetic to starting over next season, but after this game, I'm done.

Make it happen, Danny Boy.

This is where I am at. I have been on board with the Shanahans mostly but after so many mismanaged games especially this one I just can't endorse them anymore. I have no idea what the hell they are doing with this club. I think a better coaching staff would have this team more disciplined and playing a lot better, to their strengths.

I firmly believe we have a talented roster that can compete(albeit with some holes and upgrades needed like everyone) with the right coaching. This staff isn't working

I believe he 'staked his reputation' on Beck. 

Just like at the Welcome Home Luncheon this year he declared 'anything less than a Lombardi will be failure after last year.;

So bar a miracle you've failed Coach. Do the honourable thing. 

Hail. 

To be fair, the welcome home luncheon statement was taken totally out of context.

He was more specicially saying the history and legacy of this organization dictates that anything less then a Superbowl is failure. 

As for this coaching staff, that Cowboys loss was an embarrasment and has put me in the change category 

Typical "fire the coach thread after a loss"...

What some don't understand is that most of the staff is shanahans. That means a completely new staff, new philosophy and a rebuild.

I still have to defend him because of what he had to deal with when he got here and the cap penalties. I say let him live out his contract and then assess things.

Still think the most likely course of action is for Snyder to give Shanny a token one-year extension, like the Giants have done with Coughlin a few times, so that he's not a lame-duck in 2014. Then next season Mike needs to put up or shut up......winning record minimum.

Are you crazy.   Should Shanny return in 2014; at minimum will be a playoff victory for him to continue. 

Typical "fire the coach thread after a loss"...

What some don't understand is that most of the staff is shanahans. That means a completely new staff, new philosophy and a rebuild.

I still have to defend him because of what he had to deal with when he got here and the cap penalties. I say let him live out his contract and then assess things.

That's part of the problem. The staff he picked stinks.

It's not a rebuild, even if you bring someone in with a different philosophy. We have a good team and talent. We just need somebody that can discipline them, motivate them and prepare them for Sunday. We need somebody that puts them in excellent positions to succeed and plays to their strengths. Nobody on this current staff seems capable of that

im over them.

That 2nd half was the worst offensive football I have ever seen.

They have to go at the end of this year. Mike has done good cleaning this organization up and bringing a franchise QB, but they have no idea where to go from here. They had 4 years to build an OLine and have failed. This was terrible and we've seen it too much over the last 4 seasons.

If Snyder does decide to part ways with Mike then I hope they go with a young coordinator and not a retread.

We also need a guy who will run a similar offense

Will never happen.  Danny doesn't respect youn coordinators.  Danny will never allow his franchise to be coached by someone up and coming.  Snyder will go on to the next retread.

The 5 year Shanaplan is in place and I believe he will be back next season. I hope he will as well. He is a good head coach and general manager that has been dealt a raw deal his first couple of years with a horrible team with horrible QB's playing. His last couple of seasons he's had to deal with cap hell. Next season though, we are out of cap hell with some cash to burn in free agency, we also have a full draft besides our first round pick but should be able to find a few good players to help us out.

Also, RGIII should be leaps and bounds better next season with a full season playing as a pocket passer and a full off-season to practice and get better, including his pocket awareness, accuracy, and read progressions. I have faith in him.

So we should resign a few of our core players this off-season, hope for a good draft, sign a couple good players in free agency, and hope year 5 of the Shanaplan works out, if not, fire him and move on, but he should get the full 5 years to prove what he can do. Also bring back Jim Haslett, his defense is steadily improving and should be even better next season with the addition of players this off-season. I wouldn't mind seeing Kyle be let go though and Mike take over the play calling on offense though. We shall see what happens.

I'm finding myself more and more supportive of turning the page on the Shannahan experience all together...I like the players that he has drafted/brought in as free agents but he is ultimately responsible for the product that we have seen these past several years.

This isn't about today's abysmal game...this is about a trend of how this team has performed under Mike/Kyle Shannahan and Jim Hazlett. I am simply tired of medocrity, week in and week out.

Just like at the Welcome Home Luncheon this year he declared 'anything less than a Lombardi will be failure after last year.;

Hail.

Except he didn't actually say that at all at the luncheon, but don't let that get In the way of a good anti shanahan sound bite

Im appreciative of the players Shanny has brought and gotten rid of, but we're 4 years in! Every year we see the exact same crap. No discipline, no execution, no adjustments from either side of the ball during a game. (None that work anyway, if anything we go away from whats working from half to haft/game to game.) Mike would make a great GM on a limited budget. But as far as getting consistant production from his staff and team, he's just not able to get it done.. 

I hate rebuilds as much as the next guy, but I hate just going with the status quo every year even more.. This franchise deserves solid improvement year to year and 4 years in Im seeing the same stuff we had go on in year 1.. Im fine with a clean sweep of this staff..

I look back on 2001 when Marty came in here and cleaned house, got rid of the deadbeats and was the Redskins best coach other than Joe Gibbs in a lot of years. He also had a lot of bad contracts and Vinny screw-ups to fix. He had a very good staff and players played for him and seemed to respect him. He started Tony Banks at QB and won eight games in a row. There was talent on that team, Stephen Davis, Chris Samuals, Jon Jansen, Lavar &  Champ but he also was starting players like Ben Coleman, Rod Gardner, Kevin Mitchell, Walter Rasby and Sam Shade. Of course he got fired after one season. I kind of expected the same type of turnaround from the current staff but other than the 7 game win streak last year I have been very disappointed. 

Hail.

Don't forget the comparisons of Niles Paul to Shannon Sharpe, that was a good one.

Call me crazy, but when Shanahan comes in, handpicks his staff, has overwhelming say in the roster and gets paid 7 million per year expectations should be higher than one 7 game winning streak surrounded by a dismal home record, dismal record in primetime games and mediocre record overall.

If the Skins again turn a dismal season around and finish 8-8 or better than there can at least be a reasonable discussion about giving this staff one more year.

If not then it's going to be hard to convince everyone that one good season immediately followed by another of double digit losses is enough to warrant keeping things status quo...

Archived