Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post-Shanahan Era...

TradeTheBeal!

In order to get Shanahan fired and not allowed to coach for the 5th year of his contract it would take a pretty horrible season and something else.  Either Dan would have to think he's lost the team or there would need to be a rift between him and RG3.  

So if at the end of the season the team is 4-12 and RG3 is openly wondering why Mike is such a jerk with cameras and microphones in front of him I think you might see the Shanahan family asked to leave.  If the team finishes 7-9 and the team seems happy enough we are likely to see year 5.   

Mike won't get an extension this season beyond his 5th year unless this team experiences a stunning turn around and makes the playoffs.  I do think it's likely that Mike is the coach next season though.  

One thing that some seem to continuously dismiss is the reality that the current regime has not had 1 normal off-season since they arrived.  Not one.  This is simple fact.  Not one other team in the league has had to deal with this much adversity.  I would love to see what this regime can do when they are not in constant damage control mode.

This regime deserves to have some more time.  Personally, I would like to see them go ahead and sign Shanahan to a 3 year extension now and be done with it.  Solidify his position.  Next year we will have a ton of cap space, and will be able to bring in some more talent.  I don't want to start over again.  

I take issue with the playcalling. Also, the special teams unit is attrocious and we need to part ways with Burns immediately, and find a respected ST coach.

Besides that, the coaches don't miss their blocking assignments. The coaches don't drop passes that hit them in the hands. The coaches don't throw behind an open receiver. The playcalling has not been good. It's too predictable, and has no real focus or greater plan to it. It just seems like a random collection of plays instead of a cohesive gameplan. That's on the coaches.

In the end, I think the offensive/defensive playcalling needs to be better, but the truth is this team, maybe because of the cap penalty, just doesn't have enough playmaking talent.

The cap penalty was heinous, and I will hate the Giants and Mara forever for it. It was a screw job. However, it doesn't earn Shanahan any kind of "free pass" for 3 reasons:

1. The penalty happened because he and Allen took a chance and defied the league. You can argue it should have worked, and I'd agree with you, but the fact is, they knew the risk.

2. If they hadn't tried an accounting trick, that money would have counted against our cap anyway. The league didn't just pick an arbitrary amount to take away, it was money for contracts we had signed and were paying and that Shanahan was trying to get away with never counting on our cap.

3. Haynesworth's age, contract and attitude history dictated he should be traded. the fact that we were switching to a 3-4 dictated he should be traded. The need for  the team to be totally rebuilt dictated he be traded. And then he told everyone he was going to cause trouble if he wasn't traded. And then Shanahan turned down offers for him and stuck with him. It was a dumb decision and it was all his. And if he doesn't make it, we don't get hit with the majority of the cap penalty.

I hate the penalty a much as anyone, but there is no reason to forgive all of Shanahan's mistakes because of a situation he brought on himself.

A lot of you think you want to start over again, but you don't, you really don't.

Laugh them off as excuses, but it's been a couple pretty unique, negative situations for the Redskins lately.  I get the initial feeling, and the sense of urgency, but I say at least another year.  I mean, if it's downright embarrassing next year, then yea, there's no more excuses.

Right now?  I say we chill.  RG3 is not suddenly bad.  Kyle Shannahan is not, and never was a 'complete idiot' when it comes to play calling, he's actually a NFL coach at it.  And he's never just decided:  "Hey, we should stop running the ball", as many fans thinks, as if it were that simple.  The Redskins WANT to run the ball probably more than any other team, they just have an understanding of when it can and should be done.  (If they run twice and are in 3rd and long, we complain about that, so on and so on).  

My only armchair coach concern is why that great play action doesn't seem to be there.  Again, it's not because Kyle just decided to scrap it, it's just not there.  You can't force it, just like you can't force a bunch of runs, but there's got to be a better way to establish it.  It's what RG3 is made for, his magician-hand ball handling isn't popping up much.  

Coaches are trying to progress, and broaden with RG3.  What we're hoping is basically that coaches go against everything they are as coaches, and say "**** it, let's just use the rookie RG3 playbook and nothing but that, screw progression."  I guess you could argue that would be a good idea.  But even so, it wouldn't solve the problems.  Which there are too many, and which can be fixed.  1 more year at LEAST.

The roster is younger, stronger, faster and more disciplined since Shanahan took over. They won the division and gave us a great holiday season last year. They were one freakish "sliding injury" away from a very possible SB run in 2012. Now Robert is broken. He needs to go on the shelf until next year.

The cap penalty is freakish too. $38M can buy a lot of talent the way Shan & Allen are operating this team.

Despite 2-5, Washington is trending up. Shan can only ruin it if he lets Robert go into next year busted again like he is now.

Who in the hell can come and run this team any better??? It took 20+ years for them to get as bad as they did. It will take a bit more time to fix it.

This isnt nearly as bad as 2009

About the cap penalty - Rufus - you kind of have a point except that the league approved the contracts - What should have happened would have been the league office should have passed the contracts back and the FO would have had to work on other ways around those particular contracts .

The other point is Almost every other team was doing the same thing (cap dumping) and those who were not (Tampa Bay springs to mind) we busying themselves ignoring the salary cap floor and setting their teams up with boats load of cap space .

Yep in retrospect Haynesworth should have been traded (and indeed he was) but Haynesworth had a reputation of one of the best interior linemen in the league when the Patriots traded for him it was lauded as a genius move ... Haynesworth was really a no win move . He played okayish in 2008 and had he been traded prior to the 2009 season and had a probowl season then I am guessing the fan base would have been less than happy - though we would not have ended up with the cap penalties and things could have been a lot different ..

This was a game I don't think anyone would have thought we would win . I really disliked the playcalling in the 3rd/4th Q when we were still in front but move on to next week ... the end of the season will bring what ever it will bring .

Poor execution by the players is due to lack of talent and lack of discipline.  Part of that lies on the coaches for not teaching and reaching the players properly.

The other half of the equation is horrendous play calling and bad game planning.  This lies 95% on the coaches.  

I like how the dude a few posts up brought up Haynesworth (which was probably the worst signing in the history of the NFL).  The fact that Shanahan stuck with him was sort of baffling.

Basically, I haven't seen anything from this coaching staff that shows me they should stick around.

What about the 11 years before that?

What about the franchise between 93 and the start of the 15 year period you're talking about.  Interestingly, the franchise did squat in that 93-98 timeframe and actually made the playoffs and won the division a couple of times since Snyder.  And be upfront, you're pathetically trying to affix blame to Snyder.

What about the franchise between 93 and the start of the 15 year period you're talking about.  Interestingly, the franchise did squat in that 93-98 timeframe and actually made the playoffs and won the division a couple of times since Snyder.  And be upfront, you're pathetically trying to affix blame to Snyder.

I guess it seems pathetic because I'm not at all trying to blame Snyder. But if everyone actually thinks It's a coaching problem, that's a very pathetic attempt at placing blame. During the seven game winning streak last season, the coaches were great and did a great job turning this team around and utilizing two fantastic rookies, but now they suck? Yeah, the coaches fault.

Except he didn't actually say that at all at the luncheon, but don't let that get In the way of a good anti shanahan sound bite

What did he say man, save for being misinterpreted as SHF pointed out? That's what was heavily reported at the time.

So what did he say if he 'didn't actually say that at all.'

Not doubting you, just curious.

Hail.

But but but .....

What about the cap penalty? It's ALL the cap penalty man. He deserves a chance to work on a level playing field. 

At least I think that's how it goes. 

Hail. 

Cap penalty has nothing to do with terrible play calling. I know you were being sarcastic, but from what I saw against the Broncos was mind blowing to say the least. He built a run first team and it excels at running the ball. He got a 21 to 7 lead 14 of which was a results of the running game. Then he decided to stop running the ball with a 14 point lead(face palm) against the best QB to ever play in the NFL. And went to using the weakest part of the team: dropping back and throwing the ball. The play calling was rank ameatur at best.

I only have 2 guesses to why he did this.

1. EGO. I will pound this square peg into a round hole. I'm Shanny I can make anything work.

2. Doesn't want to show everyone that we can beat one of the best teams in the NFL by simply running the ball down their throats.

I was all for Shanny getting an extension before the Bronco's game, but now after I saw the WORST game adjustment in my history of watching football. The thought of an extension is totally out of question. And if it continues this season that person or persons should be fired after this season.

Hail

Mike's albatross is his son.  Kyle is in above his head and should never have been given the reins as OC.  Mike needs to first him (he won't) or step in and take more control of the game plan.  Right now there doesn't seem to be a plan- which can be adjusted ahalftime. He seems to come into each game with a  of plays.  He calls them- to the chagrin of fans and players alike.  The offense never develops a rythmn and never takes full contorl of a game. 

Whatever happens, I hope Bruce Allen stays on. Not particularly as the GM, but as someone to help guide contracts. He has a ton of value.

Truth be told, though, I'm most worried about the Kyle/Griffin dynamic. I don't know what exactly is at play there, but something is going on. Their body language when speaking to one another on the sideline isn't positive.

I'd guess it's a disagreement in strategy and what's best for the team, especially given Griffin's post game comments.

I didn't hear it specifically, but I saw posted that Griff said he can't comment on the strategy or playcalls, whatever it was, but that they are a running team... Except they aren't really running.

So my guess is he wants Morris to get more carries and he wants more carries and Kyle is trying to make him a pocket passer.

The gameplan, at first watch, live, seemed like it was completely opposite of last week's.

One question: What is this team that up 21-14 to start the 4th, it goes on to not only lose but lose 21-45?

I've been over Shammy after the McNabb/Haynesworth debacles, I know, I know, nobody wants to remember that it happened but it did, completely on him (at least McNabb).

Two horrid seasons to start, most everybody including myself gave him a pass, a clean slate, once they got RG3 but now it's time to prove your true worth and this team is the worst he's put together. Worse than those pathetic Beck/Grossman teams b/c they actually have enough talent to compete but they can't get their ******* head out of their ****** to even start to do so.

For all intents and purposes this should have been a loss, on paper for sure.....but there they were 21-7 in the third....and they couldn't move fast enough to get OUT OF THE WAY of a win or even a tough respectable loss, that's how much of a break I'm willing to give them!!!! Lose it by three or 7, that's fine.....show something, show that you care at least, that they can AT LEAST compete at a decent level.

He's mediocre, his son is mediocre....yes, thanks for the COMPETENT front office work but now let a real coach take it from here.

Burn it down and start over after losing to probably the best team in the league? A week ago people were praising Shanahan. This thread is what has been wrong with the Redskins for the last 20 years. This has been the thought process behind every roster move, every coaching move: overreactionary impatience. Go for the quick fix.

Look at Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. He has 3 winning seasons in 10 years, including 2 4-win season. And now the Bengals are damned good. Think they are glad they stuck with him?

Bill Cowher missed the playoffs three straight years, going 13-19 over a two year stretch. Mike Tomlin is about to miss the playoffs for a 2nd straight year.

The great Bill Walsh? Had losing seasons 3 of his 1st 4 years.

And none of these great coaches have had to deal with the BS our current regime has. You really think we'd be sitting here with Tyler Polumbus at RT with out losing $36 million over 2 years? How about Bacarri Rambo and Brandon Merriweather? I guarantee Wilsopn wouldn't be here and Talib would be. How about a the bucket of warmed over garbage opposite Garcon?

Speaking of Garcon...

Let's look at, despite not having a single normal off season (year one was the uncapped year where every player worth while was made an RFA, year 2 lockout and a very short offseason, year 3 and 4 the kneecapping of our salary cap), who Shanahan and Allen have brought in:

Griffin

Cousins

Morris

Helu

Trent Williams

Garcon

Jordan Reed

Ryan Kerrigan (remember this one? Despite going into the season with Grossman and Beck, he passed on Gabbert. That alone qualifies him for an extension!)

Barry Cofield

Perry Riley

David Amerson (who is going to be good)

This is just a sample. He's certainly had some misses: McNabb (although he did net us Morris so...), Morgan (sucks, sucks, sucks), Bowen,  Wilson, Chester.

The terrible teams--the ones that are drafting at the top of the draft year in and year out, react like we do: burn it down, start over, burn it down, start over.

Some things need to change: Haslett really needs to go. He does come up with good game plans initially--at least the last 2 weeks he as. But as soon as there is an adjustment? He derps it all up. He needs to go. I don't like Bob Slowik either, really missing Lou Spanos. Our right side of the line needs to be upgraded. A CB and a Saftey, and a WR.

However, we are going to be looking at about $25 million in space--after resigning a lot of players we need to resign. When was the last time we can say that?

Stay the course. We have a competent organization. We've been hamstrung since day 1 of Shanahan's tenure. We are not playing well, but we are also playing with 1 hand tied behind our back. People forget Griffin is still a 2nd year player. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Offensive play-calling has been bad this year. Our Offense is not holding up their end of the bargain. Special Teams is bad, yes. I agree. That doesn't diminish how horribly our Offense is playing. Griffin is also playing horrendously. His passes are off, his timing is horrible, and he has no idea how to progress through reads. Adding to this problem is the fact that our receivers (minus Reed) are having a major issue catching balls that hit them in the hands, or the chest. I don't care what circumstances present themselves. If you're a professional receiver, and a ball hits your hands, you are paid to catch it. Period.

I actually don't mind Mike Shanahan, and I think things will improve with cap-space and some quality personnel coming in. It's not being a homer, rather a pragmatic consideration.  

Stay the course. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Know you're trying to stay positive but if the Shanahan backers' best comparisons are now to Marvin Lewis and a 48 year old Bill Walsh from four decades ago, then....you're grasping.

He's not a good coach, he's proving it ON THE FIELD and there is nothing wrong with wanting to replace him for something better after the season.

Archived