Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post-Shanahan Era...

TradeTheBeal!

Time to talk about it.

Mods, this is not intended to be a call-out, knee jerk thread.  Hear me out.

Nobody is gonna get fired during the season.  But, the Denver game is a stark reminder...Seattle... of what we think we know.  We are not close to being a SB caliber team.  We could be 2-5 next year or we can start thinking about our next move right now.

The hard facts:

23L-32W. Splashing 1st and 2nd round picks for QBs since day one.  Grossman and knee braces.

Lousy special teams for four years.  Extra lousy, in fact.  Probably worst in the league, for all 4 years,  and I'm not gonna look it up.

Except for a hot stretch...6-0... late last year, Shanny is indefensible.  An utter failure.

The good news:

Shanny has been sweet with the draft and the cap.  He took a dead roster and flipped it, nicely.

A ton of young, cheap talent.  On both sides of the ball...

Griffin

Kerrigan

Morris

Orakpo

Williams

and more.  And the lifting of the cap penalty.

We are an attractive destination.  We will have our choice of coaching prospects this offseason.

Or maybe we'll just go for one more year with what we got.  Yeeesh...

Shanahan deserves at least one more year.  Let's face it.  The Skins are STILL paying penance for the debacle that Cerrato/Snyder left him.  The cap penalty makes a huge difference in the caliber of players you are able to put on the roster, and we are seeing its effects played out on the field.

Next year Shanahan will truly have a clean slate to work with.  Only then should he be judged by what he puts out onto the field.

Shanahan deserves at least one more year.  Let's face it.  The Skins are STILL paying penance for the debacle that Cerrato/Snyder left him.  The cap penalty makes a huge difference in the caliber of players you are able to put on the roster, and we are seeing its effects played out on the field.

Next year Shanahan will truly have a clean slate to work with.  Only then should he be judged by what he puts out onto the field.

*stares in disbelief*

Been done with this regime man.

We have cap space this season and a chance to get RGIII a new coaching staff early in his career. We are very attractive...but mostly because of him (and even that...may be in doubt come December).

The Shanahan's have been a failure. 100%.

Those are good points. I do think we need to make sure that the people spending the money this off-season are the ones who will be staying for a while. The worst thing we can do is let Shanahan stock the roster and then part ways with him the following year.

Let me get this straight.  You wanna wipe the slate?

And give Shanny a 1-year audition...for an extension?

Can't come soon enough. We're the broncos post-Elway. They fired him for what he did.

INB4 you need 5 years to make a winning team, let's see what Shanny does without a cap penalty, we need to be patient, etc.

We're way worse than the Broncos post-Elway. Hell, they made the playoffs a bunch of times after Elway.

We're more like the Zorn or Spurrier Skins. Record-wise, at least.

But the fact is, Shanny needs another year. RG3 needs a full year removed from ACL, and we need that cap space back to get maybe another WR and some DB help.

If it doesn't come together next year, I agree he should probably go.

I'm afraid though that Danny is reluctant to give another young unproven guy a shot after the Zorn debacle. Pretty sure he even said once that he needed to feel comfortable with experience in that position (Like Gibbs, Shanny). So who would he ever take a chance on, or would he hire a retread like a Lovie Smith or someone like that?

Those are good points. I do think we need to make sure that the people spending the money this off-season are the ones who will be staying for a while. The worst thing we can do is let Shanahan stock the roster and then part ways with him the following year.

Exactly. That would probably ensure another 2-3 years of futility. 

This offseason is really huge for the RGIII era. Probably make or break

Real qucik mboyd... Orakpo is not under contract for next year, so cross him off the proverbial "cheap" list.

But but but .....

What about the cap penalty? It's ALL the cap penalty man. He deserves a chance to work on a level playing field. 

At least I think that's how it goes. 

Hail. 

You forgot Orakpo was held/double teamed and DeAngelo Hall can't cover a double move.

That about covers it though.

Oh, one last thing Mboyd... 2010 Chargers were the worst special teams in the history of the NFL.  We were close to them before this game.  Like 2nd worst of all time close.

Other than that I'm not sure.  But we've been bad.

On the plus side Thomas and Minnifield will be fresh and unaffected for the new staff next year. 

Hail. 

I'm actually somewhat happy with the personnel.  He has no idea how to manage it, but I thank him kindly for a lot of the players that are on this roster.

And can we have a coach that can go a year without having a passive-aggressive feud with a player on the team? Every ****ing year he gets into little wars with a key player on the team.

Now, it's him vs RGIII...or..he and kyle vs RGIII...or He vs Kyle vs RGIII is a triple threat Taipei Death match. Can he ever just get on the same page with his own team?  It's ****ing stupid and embarrassing. 

Real qucik mboyd... Orakpo is not under contract for next year, so cross him off the proverbial "cheap" list.

You forgot Orakpo was held/double teamed and DeAngelo Hall can't cover a double move.

That about covers it though.

Oh, one last thing Mboyd... 2010 Chargers were the worst special teams in the history of the NFL.  We were close to them before this game.  Like 2nd worst of all time close.

Other than that I'm not sure.  But we've been bad.

Good lookin out.

Orakpo, no longer cheap.

Special Teams, just less than worst.

Watching our defense make the plays they did today, I'm more convinced than ever that we could compete with the right coaching staff. We have massive holes in the secondary and O-line, as well as a few holes to fill (Moss, Morgan, Fletcher, Carriker), but it's the coaching staff that really needs cleaning out. I've been apathetic to starting over next season, but after this game, I'm done.

Make it happen, Danny Boy.

Not calling you out but don't you think the 2009 squad was pretty bad?

I still remember a thread made by someone likely trolling right before 2010 entitled "Will 6-10 disappoint you?" I didn't hear a lot of the "oh, we're inheriting a bad team sentiment" in response.  Instead, it was "Mike Shanahan and Donny McNabb....6-10? Pshhhhhh......"

And the next season we went 5-11.

Whether he inherited a bad roster or not, I think it was fair to expect more than 11-21 the first two seasons. Give Shanny credit for last year's turnaround, and acknowledge the cap difficulty, but he owns those first two seasons.

Oh it was **** but I've seen ppl say it was that much worse than other ****ty teams that have rebuilt more quickly. It's not like they were 0-16 and getting busted by 50 every week either. But that really has no bearing on why I want his ass fired

Also, Reid took over a 2-win team and is 8-0. I'm not sure inheriting a bad roster is a viable excuse for a fourth-year coach in the modern NFL.

Archived