Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post-Shanahan Era...

TradeTheBeal!

If Snyder does decide to part ways with Mike then I hope they go with a young coordinator and not a retread.

We also need a guy who will run a similar offense

I think they need to take a strong look at Mike Zimmer for head coach. The guy is all about business and I think he would get this defense to where it needs to be. We do need an innovative young OC to help Robert and this offense. Philip Montgomery at Baylor or Tony Franklin at Cal has been effective in the college ranks. Regardless, I have seen enough to know that Mike, Kyle, Jim, and Keith need to go!

They can keep Bruce but hire a player personnel guy...

These are some great players we targeted but couldn't afford and lost out on due to our $36 mil cap hit that we were robbed of.

RB Reggie Bush, WR Vincent Jackson, RT Eric Winston, G Marshall Yanda ,CB Rodgers Cromartie , CB Aqib Talib, Nickle Corner Kyle Arrington. 

Lets say we were able to snag 3 out of the 7 those players would drastically improve our roster.

Could you imagine RT Winston (who wanted to be here) CB Talib (who wanted to be here) and WR Vincent Jackson (taking over WR #1 and Garcon #2) ?

Or Winston, Talib, and Bush? We would have never had to draft Chris Thompson if we could have signed bush meaning we could have got something else at #5. 

My point is the salary cap fiasco destroyed the growth of this team i'm more than happy with what the shanny clan has been able to do so far, now if they suck next year then yes it's time for them to hit the road.

Out of likes so couldn't but this can't be said enough.  I really don't think people understand how much the cap hurt this team.  You're talking about 3-4 starters, plus our best ST player from last year in Alexander. 

Years 1 and 2 were complete rebuilds.  How many people on the team last year, were there pre-Shanahan?  Year 3?  Division win and playoff appearance.  Year 4?  Our QB is still not him self after shredding his knee.  RG3 has been inaccurate, immobile, hesitant, lost.  This alone puts extra stress on the defense.  When the offense has moved the ball in games, the defense has held up fine.  I take year 4 as a wash.  Year 5 should be playoffs or bust.  I would not extend right now but after next year if he has them back in Year 3 form.

These are some great players we targeted but couldn't afford and lost out on due to our $36 mil cap hit that we were robbed of.

RB Reggie Bush, WR Vincent Jackson, RT Eric Winston, G Marshall Yanda ,CB Rodgers Cromartie , CB Aqib Talib, Nickle Corner Kyle Arrington. 

Lets say we were able to snag 3 out of the 7 those players would drastically improve our roster.

Could you imagine RT Winston (who wanted to be here) CB Talib (who wanted to be here) and WR Vincent Jackson (taking over WR #1 and Garcon #2) ?

1.  Much of the cap penalty was negated because people like Coefiled, Carricker, and Bowen restructured their contracts because of the penalty so much of the cap space we would have had we wouldn't have had w/o those restructures (now I guess you can pretend that they would have done so w/o the penalty and you would have had the same cap space, but I don't have that crystal ball).  The salaries of those three alone jump $10 million next year and stay high for 2015 and that's related to their restructuring so it gives you an idea of how much space at least was temporarily freed up.

2.  I believe some of what you are talking about could have been done anyway.  Winston is currently playing on a one year $2 million deal total (with bonuses) (after being cut because he played so poorly in KC).  We currently are $1.3 million under our cap.  Sign him to the league min salary give him to a 3 year contract with a $2 million dollar signing bonus minus his salary this year and a huge roster bonus if he's on the roster on March 1.  He gets the $2 million for one year (salary+signing bonus).  You're forced to cut him on March 1 because you're not going to pay the roster.  We'd take on a minor hit next year. 

DRC actually did something similar for Denver.  He signed a 2 year $10 million contract with $5 million signing bonus, but he's only making $800,000 this year so he's due $4.2 million somehow if he's on the roster next year so he makes $5.8, but his cap hit is less.

And consider we're paying Davis $2.5 million, I think it certainly was doable (so they could have had him, not Davis and save $500,000 in cap space).

• 2 months later...

Archived