Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ky.com: Khsaa Advises Schools To Stop Organized Post-Game Handshakes At Sporting Events

China

KHSAA advises schools to stop organized post-game handshakes at sporting events

The Kentucky High School Athletic Association has issued a "Commissioner's Directive" advising schools not to hold organized post-game handshake lines because of too many fights and physical conflicts.

"While it is an obvious sign of sportsmanship and civility, many incidents have occurred ... where fights and physical conflicts have broken out," according to the Commissioner's Directive that went to schools on Tuesday. "Unfortunately, the adrenaline and effort required to participate in the sport sometimes seems to deplete the supply of judgment available to participants."

According to the missive, more than two dozen fights in the past three years in Kentucky have broken out at post-game ceremonies. Although athletic and school officials were buzzing about the order Tuesday afternoon, Commissioner Julian Tackett downplayed the order, saying it was "much ado about nothing."

There are no rules requiring the post-game handshake, and too many times, there hasn't been enough supervision to stop conflicts during the ceremony. Students can still shake hands with other players voluntarily.

"You're on notice, if you're going to do this, you're going to be accountable," Tackett said.

When first issued, the directive specifically stated: "It is hereby directed that teams and individuals do not participate in organized post-game handshake lines/ceremonies beyond that interaction that is required..."

After news of the directive led to criticism on social media Tuesday, the wording was changed to: "It is prescribed that teams and individuals do not participate in organized post game handshake lines/ceremonies beyond that interaction that is required ... and the individual unorchestrated actions by individual competitors."

If schools ignore the directive and hold an organized handshake, it is the responsibility of the school administrators and coaches, not referees and officials, to keep the peace. Any unsporting acts will result in a fine.

15729826_BG1.jpg

What a post-game handshake in Kentucky may look like.

Click on the link for the full article

Herm Edwards just spoke on this on SC and was against it. Our youth are already lacking in discipline, and now you're just choosing to ignore it. 

Idiotic is all I can say. You're allowing student athletes w/ discipline issues and no sense of sportsmanship to float along w/o their behavior being curbed or checked. When you run into losses in the real world, your response cannot be to fight. You suck it up, congratulate the victor and move on. No better way or place to learn this than at an athletic event as a youth.  

Er ... if teams can't so much as shake hands after a game, the ceremonial handshake isn't the problem.

I wanted to "like" this more than once.

How about hold the teams/coaches accountable if they can't successfully shake hands after a game. Maybe our youth should be spending a little more of their team activity time learning about sportsmanship and respect.

I know that this is going to sound a little ridiculous, but it is awful that high school sports is coming to this in some cases.

What should be the main goal for amateur athletics? Shouldn't it be teaching our youth about teamwork, dedication, and sportsmanship above winning or losing? So, instead of suspending the games themselves or holding players and coaches accountable for their actions, they just remove one of the most important variables.

I'm going to sound like a bitter 60-year old, but it just feels like the focus of our society is slipping.

I know that this is going to sound a little ridiculous, but it is awful that high school sports is coming to this in some cases.

What should be the main goal for amateur athletics? Shouldn't it be teaching our youth about teamwork, dedication, and sportsmanship above winning or losing? So, instead of suspending the games themselves or holding players and coaches accountable for their actions, they just remove one of the most important variables.

I'm going to sound like a bitter 60-year old, but it just feels like the focus of our society is slipping.

Well I'm only 43, so I'm with ya'.

It probably shouldn't be a surprise, as we (society) place more and more emphasis on winning/losing than anything else related to sports.  Youth athletes oftentimes are judged similarly to pro athletes (choking, eligible to be booed/heckled), etc.), along with parents, schools and youth sport clubs unrealistic demands. 

I coach travel soccer in NCSL & WAGS, and one thing that has always bugged me is the attitude that the opponent (players, coach, opposing parents & referees) are enemies.  In seven years of coaching my boys team, I've only ever had like 2-3 coaches come up to me before a game, shake my hand and exchange "pleasantries".  I hated that, so every game I make sure to do so and tell him & the other team "good luck".  They always seem surprised by this.  Another thing I've noticed is that opposing parents/players/coaches (and my parents & playes rarely do it) will never give a compliment to an opposing player.  As in, "nice shot, good defense, etc".  Admittedly, there are some teams I can't stand and probably don't compliment, but I do try and compliment good play when I see it.  It irritates my players, and the opponent player thinks I am being a smart ass, but I still do it anyway.  Not a lot, but a couple times a game.

A lot of sports could learn from rugby.  When I started playing that sport, I was amazed that you could beat the crap out of each other for 80 minutes, hate the team with a passion, curse at each other, etc., but then all go out, have beers together, sing songs, do a Zulu, drink the boot/crack, etc. 

At some point we have gotten to where we use our sports to define our standing in society.  It has gone past entertainment and a chance to "play a game" and instead we are dependent upon sports for our status, our parents hopes (college?) and the coaches/school administrators pride.  I contend that you can have it both ways, but it takes maximum support from parents, school officials, coaches and referees.  And, it takes some time to build a program/team to be able to be competitive, yet display discipline & sportsmanship.  Coaches/schools that achieve this should be recognized the most, even if they are .500 continually each year.

Pointy...great points.

My boy plays t-ball and flag football and we're still at the age (6) where parents are nice to the other kids. It still feels liek we're all looking out for every kid on the field, and I love that. I was hoping that might last for a few more years...haha.

We praise all the kids and cheer for great plays regardless of which team makes them. We also praise the kids for trying hard. Our game last week was very one-sided with the other team scoring pretty easily on long runs. Our coach quickly started celebrating the fact that all our boys sprinted after the ball-carrier until the play was over. THAT is what I want my children to get out of youth sports...a foundation of trying your best and accepting that you won't win every game.

This is dumb, and I agree with Henry.

However, I am interested in the discussion in the posts after Henry's.   How does this discussion relate to the other thread we had recently, where people were bemoaning the fact that youth sports do not emphasize enough who wins and who loses?  

As a society, we seem schizophrenic about our expectations for youth sports and the lessons they are supposed to be teaching.

However, I am interested in the discussion in the posts after Henry's.   How does this discussion relate to the other thread we had recently, where people were bemoaning the fact that youth sports do not emphasize enough who wins and who loses?  

As a society, we seem schizophrenic about our expectations for youth sports and the lessons they are supposed to be teaching.

I'm not seeing much inconsistency from the posters common to both threads.

But it is an interesting observation. 'Win at all costs' is the other side of the coin from 'everyone gets a trophy.' 

I do think someone pointed that out in that thread. I'll try and remember who. :)

Competition is not war. Rivalry is not hate. People get far too carried away with emotions in sports.

Seriously. This isn't life or death. I'm a really competitive guy, but throwing punches (or worse) is absolutely unacceptable. This is as bad as the hooligans that plagued soccer in Europe in the last century (though it might not be...one of our European posters should be able to set me straight on that point). 

I've played competitively, coached it, and watched it as a parent.  I'm of the opinion we could use a few less overly-competitive jerks in this world.  Who cares if everyone gets a trophy at 8 years old?  By the time the kids get 10-11, they KNOW if their team is really good or not, and for those that want more competition, they will find it.  Sports were meant to be a diversion and I hardly think we will be overrun by other countries just because we "dont keep score" or "let everyone swing the bat 2x per game" when kids are in elementary school.  Plus...all those kids know what the score really is!

There is plenty of time later in life (shoot...it happens soon enough in high school) where kids will find out they are not good enough to be pros.  Why not encourage them to stay involved longer?

Seriously. This isn't life or death. I'm a really competitive guy, but throwing punches (or worse) is absolutely unacceptable. This is as bad as the hooligans that plagued soccer in Europe in the last century (though it might not be...one of our European posters should be able to set me straight on that point). 

At least the kids or parents aren't throwing zip lock bags full of human urine at players and opposing fans like in Central America.

Sorta reminds me of the thread about Shanahan giving the Lions access to the Skins camera pictures when theirs went out. Some posters took the "this is all out war win at all costs" approach, which I found rather odd.

There is nothing wrong with competition and wanting to win, but there is a difference between that and seeing the other side of a competitive sport as the enemy who is to be hated and, apparently, punched in the face while shaking hands after a game. You gotta be able to temper the competitive drive with not turning into a ****ty human being because of it. There's usually not much good to be found in the extremes on either side of most issues. In this case it is "being psychotically competitive to the point of violent sociopathy" vs "competition is bad, everyone wins".

Competition is not war. Rivalry is not hate. People get far too carried away with emotions in sports.

I understand rivalries. There's a vicious one I learned when I joined my cvsa team.  Those games will phsyical and such because neither team likes losing but you let it go afterwards.  I mean if a team gets dropped 7-1 in a soccer game there's gonna be bitterness but you put it away and save it for a later game.  No reason to escalate a game into something more.

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? What would posses a person to do something like that? 

Happens in Mexico too.  Central America have a habit of throwing urine, tools (like wretches), batteries,etc.  South American countries throw even worst things.  Mexico has a habit of throwing beer bottles, urine, throwing up,etc.  Landon Donovan has been hit by some truly nasty crap.

IT's not completely an issue of discipline, IMO. It's a question of respect. I've never gone after an opponent because I respect what he's trying to do (beat me in a game). Respect for each other isn't cultivated as much any more. Coaches are probably behind this aspect. 

If I have discipline NOT to go after my opponent during the handshake, then the underlying problem of a lack of respect is still there. I'm just keeping it in check. 

An opponent knows when you've played him hard, respectful, and clean and when you haven't. Plus it's a win at all costs mentality that's the problem. 

I understand rivalries. There's a vicious one I learned when I joined my cvsa team.  Those games will phsyical and such because neither team likes losing but you let it go afterwards.  I mean if a team gets dropped 7-1 in a soccer game there's gonna be bitterness but you put it away and save it for a later game.  No reason to escalate a game into something more.

Happens in Mexico too.  Central America have a habit of throwing urine, tools (like wretches), batteries,etc.  South American countries throw even worst things.  Mexico has a habit of throwing beer bottles, urine, throwing up,etc.  Landon Donovan has been hit by some truly nasty crap.

I mean, I understand that every nation has their own sporting culture, and some are more passionate than others, but throwing urine on the field? That's even worse than the stuff they do in Philly. 

I mean, I understand that every nation has their own sporting culture, and some are more passionate than others, but throwing urine on the field? That's even worse than the stuff they do in Philly. 

LOL Philly doesn't have anything on the countries South of us.  

Costa Rica- Players hit by tools, batteries, etc (Knocked out one of our keepers at Saprissa with a tool.  Think it was a wretch.).  They pelted the windows of the airport when our US team arrived, wouldn't give us a adequate training grounds, and the country ordered cars to block the US bus to delay their arrival at the stadium.

Mexico- urine, throw up, beer bottles,random debris (players get hammered during corner kicks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYw82ep57E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKAqGLYeAeE

Riot police have to guard layers taking corners.  Donovan got nailed in 2009 there.

Honduras is the only decent stadium.  They treat our fans right and are very respectful  I always root for them to make the World Cup with us.  

Comparing behavior with foreign pro soccer or Philly NFL fans is missing the point.

A central premise of high school sports is that it is an educational and developmental activity. It is not the pros.

If coaches, players (and parents) can't manage a handshake after a game they have no business participating in the sport and should be ejected and told to take their anger elsewhere than youth sports. There is way, way too much tolerance of this in some high school sports. Some sports have radically different behavior because of the standards of the sport governing organization (coaches/officials and the ADs) and what they will tolerate.

I grew up with sports culture where you had food or a drink with the other team afterwards. It was part of the host team's responsibilities. Even if there was a horrible incident in the game, it was better to talk it out between the coaches and captains after, than wait until the next time the teams met. While this may not work here, you can't lose sight of the purpose of the sport being educational and developmental.

Archived