Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ky.com: Khsaa Advises Schools To Stop Organized Post-Game Handshakes At Sporting Events

China

Being a HS football coach currently and seeing fights break out after the game and from being a player myself in HS I can say that these fights are usually a result of one or two things.

A) A player plays his heart and takes a loss and is a sobbing wreck then during the post game handshakes someone on the other team says that he sucks.

Or

B) Other coach is running up the score like 50-7 and the coach getting whipped on has some choice words after the game and a fight between the coaches starts.

How to fix these problems I have no idea. I understand both sides of the whole sportsmanship debate but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Competition is not war. Rivalry is not hate. People get far too carried away with emotions in sports.

It's the very reason my passion for sports has started to wane the last few years. It's just not as enjoyable as it once was. Just like FedEx field for example. I have no issues with the venue. It's a majority of the people in that venue that have stopped me from going to the games. Idiots galore.

Instead of addressing the root of the issue, let's just avoid it altogether.  Brilliant.

I'm going to just go ahead and place a large part of the blame on the coaches.  As a coach you have the responsibility to create and maintain an atmosphere of discipline and respect.  If you've got young athletes flying off the handle in these types of situations that's largely on you as a coach.

Maybe instead of shaking hands the teams could meet up post game, drink a bunch of beer and sing songs about jersey girls, the S and M man and the various days of the week.

Ahhh I miss those days! I will never forget the time my wife came to a drinkup after the match (which had two guys being sent to sin bin, a Zulu at the end of the match in 40deg w/ beer showers) and heard some of the rugby songs. The look on her face was priceless,

especially for:

"Jesus can't play rugby cause he's only got 12 men..."

Instead of addressing the root of the issue, let's just avoid it altogether.  Brilliant.

I'm going to just go ahead and place a large part of the blame on the coaches.  As a coach you have the responsibility to create and maintain an atmosphere of discipline and respect.  If you've got young athletes flying off the handle in these types of situations that's largely on you as a coach.

Definitely true. As a coach I have ultimate control of my players. However, it is not always black/white and many times I have run into situations like this it is with kids who don't have best home life or who have other issues going on in their lives. So, it becomes a dilemma as to how you handle it, especially with a kid who that is the only thing in his life he has going for him.

Archived