Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, visionary said:

1)  Boy this board's ability to edit posts containing embedded tweets really sucks.  At least on the old software, I could switch off the WYSIWYG doodads, and just edit the BB code myself. 

2)  Bill Clinton is not a Presidential candidate.  :)

3)  "What could go wrong?":  Well, apparently Detroit survived. 

1 hour ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

This is what I'm talking about. We need to be doing of more of this. Wikileaks releasing **** to Russia's benefit, we need to be "anonymously leaking" **** on Russia in return. Time to shine a giant light on Putin's corruption.@No Excuses

I think they call that "leaking classified information". 

Geez...I am so sick of the whole "we Christians are so persecuted" as if they were Copts in Cairo.

You're not under attack just because 2 dudes can walk down the aisle or because a black man is President or because a retail store says Happy Holidays in December. GTFO, and take those jackasses Ted Cruz, Bill Kristol, and Ralph Reed with you.  Our country was founded by enlightenment thinkers who wanted a tolerant secular state, not antidisestablishmentarianists yearning for statues of Jesus on every street corner and elected officials leading prayer circles.

/end rant

12 minutes ago, visionary said:

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

If anyone wonders why the Republicans have Trump, it's because of people like twa. I know some of you throw him a pity party around here, as if he's a victim. Nah, he's never been reluctant about embracing anti-intellectualism, much like the bozos who brought us Trump.

^^^QFT. So very true.

4 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

At this point I hope Hillary goes full covert ops Cold War propoganda on Russia's ass. My one beef with Obama has been Russia. And now we're seeing why. You give those ****ers an inch and they'll run a marathon on you. Time to stop playing nice. Boris Yeltsin is long gone. 

Agreed. After they refused to even pretend to be helpful in Syria we should have started shipping arms to the Ukrainians. Not enough to tip the balance, but the kind of weapons that would increase the body count and financial cost for the Ruskies. Over time that sort of thing erodes nationalist support. And if he decided to respond by messing with Europe's natural gas supply, we could ratchet up the Ukrainian weapons or even start giving Syrian rebel groups antiaircraft weapons. Let's see how many of those fancy new planes he's willing to lose and replace.

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Johnson Amendment? Did I miss something?

It's a real thing. In 1954, they passed law trying to give some teeth to the separation of Church and State. In this case, they said, that churches who use their platform for political advocacy are at risk of losing their not-for-profit status. That is, if they want to act as PACs or political lobbies they don't get the tax benefits that we allot to churches.

The issue is a farce. For one thing, no one is really handcuffing priests, rabbis, imans etc. All you have to do is look at the political power of the religious right to know that. The other biggie is that this isn't a free speech issue. It's a money issue. What the right wants to do is basically create a second Citizens United by turning churches into fundraising and lobbying groups for their causes.

I'll admit to some conflict on the superficial issue. I don't think you can be a moral teacher without wrestling with the issues of the secular world and that includes politics. However, that doesn't mean that a priest should become a political arm or a tool of a party. They should be servants of God or Buddha, or whatever their religion teaches and not a secular King.

This is a money grab and not a free speech issue.

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It's a real thing. In 1954, they passed law trying to give some teeth to the separation of Church and State. In this case, they said, that churches who use their platform for political advocacy are at risk of losing their not-for-profit status. That is, if they want to act as PACs or political lobbies they don't get the tax benefits that we allot to churches.

The issue is a farce. For one thing, no one is really handcuffing priests, rabbis, imans etc. All you have to do is look at the political power of the religious right to know that. The other biggie is that this isn't a free speech issue. It's a money issue. What the right wants to do is basically create a second Citizens United by turning churches into fundraising and lobbying groups for their causes.

I'll admit to some conflict on the superficial issue. I don't think you can be a moral teacher without wrestling with the issues of the secular world and that includes politics. However, that doesn't mean that a priest should become a political arm or a tool of a party. They should be servants of God or Buddha, or whatever their religion teaches and not a secular King.

This is a money grab and not a free speech issue.

As I understand it (cringes, waiting for a real lawyer to correct me), about the only thing that they aren't allowed to do, is to specifically tell their members to vote for specific candidates or parties. 

(And I would strongly suspect that a church would have to be really blatant, about doing that, before any administration would dare risk saying anything about it.) 

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

After all, they've only been generating claims from them for what, three years, now? 

I've been singing this song now for about 25 minutes. 

I can sing for another 25 minutes. 

I'm not proud. 

Or tired. 

3 hours ago, The Sisko said:

I don't know if you got the memo but the threshold for providing an opinion on anything black-related has been increased to three black "friends". Sorry but one just won't cut it anymore.

I got that covered even w/o oreos and coconuts.

:kiss-smileys:

Archived