Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Give Up Rg3 For One Super Bowl Victory?

Springfield

I think the jist of your question is, whether 1 Superbowl victory is worth another decade of mediocrity in exchange?

I would say go ask an Eagles fan because they went through the exact opposite, 10(or so) seasons under McNabb, Eagles were in the hunt most of the seasons, won the NFCE a bunch, deep playoff runs, a super bowl appearance, QB that was pro bowl level many seasons...but no championships to show for it.

Ask them if they would erase that decade of success if say McNabb won a  superbowl his 2nd year in the league but suffered a career ending injury in the big game, never played again, and for the next decade the team was an 8-8 or under team.

I think it comes down to age and where you are at in terms of that.  A lot of the older people may want to, while a lot of younger people will hold out hope.  At least that's how I see it.  The excitement RG3 brings to the game is great and I wouldn't trade the potential for 1 season.

To the ppl saying "Well, we already have three, what's another one mean?", I'm 20 years old. I have no connection to the old SB teams other than old DVDs.

Think about how others feel before belting out just anything. Yes you trade RGIII. Hell, you trade Aaron Rodgers if you have to

And where in the OP does he say anything about sucking afterwards? Where did that illogical jump come from? Obviously if we won a SB, we had a competent QB.

When you couple in RGIII's injury risks, this is a no brainer

And this isn't a Griffin thing...I'd trade in any player for a Lombardi. As classy and great as Fletcher is, I'd cut him seconds before the Super Bowl if I knew it would cause us to win it. As much as Moss deserves a ring, I'd do the same. No one player even approaches the importance of my team winning it all.

Big, big picture...championships are the only way to measure franchises against one another. A fourth Super Bowl title differentiates my favorite team and they ascend another rung on the ladder. We climb one step closer to the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, etc.

I'd prefer to be the Marlins (2 World Series titles followed by rebuilding years) from 1997-2003 than the current Rays (contending each year with 1 WS appearance).

Exactly.

How we talk so much crap about Philly not having one ring but say no to this question?

I think the jist of your question is, whether 1 Superbowl victory is worth another decade of mediocrity in exchange?

I would say go ask an Eagles fan because they went through the exact opposite, 10(or so) seasons under McNabb, Eagles were in the hunt most of the seasons, won the NFCE a bunch, deep playoff runs, a super bowl appearance, QB that was pro bowl level many seasons...but no championships to show for it.

Ask them if they would erase that decade of success if say McNabb won a  superbowl his 2nd year in the league but suffered a career ending injury in the big game, never played again, and for the next decade the team was an 8-8 or under team.

I guess in retrospect they SHOULD have taken Ricky Williams.   :lol:

Off topic, but I hope our coaching staff watches highlights from that 2010 MNF game a few hours before kickoff. I'm still pissed about that one.

On topic, I don't believe that removing Griffin from this team turns us back into the Zorn team. That mentality is part of the issue I have with a small sliver of our fan base who seem to believe that #10 is out there alone. We are a very solid and deep team. If Griffin won a Super Bowl this year and then retired to run for president, we wouldn't become a 5-win team next year.

You missed his point by the preverbal Country mile. If you'd of been any wider, you'd of been in Canada. 

Hail. 

This is what you said:

Even if we never win one with him under center, the memory's and sheer

excitement he gives FAR outweighs the alternative for me.

Given the choice, you would rather watch RG3 play than win championships.

How did I miss the point?

It's disappointing how many shortsighted people are going w/ yes on this.....................

Really? Shortsighted lol

You might had the chance to experience a couple of Redskins Super Bowls. But I haven't experienced jack.

Go look at the Cleveland Browns, Vikings, Eagles, Falcons, etc... Their Franchise have never won a Super Bowl. You think those fans would rather keep Adrian Peterson or Matt Ryan for a guaranteed Super Bowl win. Come on now, it's an EASY decision. Robert Griffin is just one player. The Redskins are MY TEAM!!!

I am not willing to trade his career in the making for 1 superbowl win... he could produce 2-3 superbowl wins. So no I will follow his career and be happy with what we get!

I hope it plays out that way for sure (we all do). But he could just as easily be Dan Marino. That would be fun to watch each year, but disappointing if he retired without a ring.

Ok, so here's what I got...

Watching the game last night (Broncos vs Ravens), what turned out to be a complete thrashing of the Ravens defense by Manning had me start to think about how badly their team became after losing 2 major factors on defense (really Lewis). Today a friend said to me, "well, at least they won the Super Bowl last year."

That is what got me to the question I posted. Say RG3 comes out and turns in a performance to remember this season and leads them on a season I will always cherish topped off by a Super Bowl victory. Could I then be satisfied if Griffin hangs 'em up and the Redskins offense is nothing compared to what it was that glorious season.

I don't know. I'd be torn.

I would assume that we would suck without Griffin and we'd be back to rooting for a top 5 pick in the draft. The other side of the coin is that we would be Super Bowl champions. Not the Cowboys, not the Eagles, not the Giants. Us.

Watching football without Griffin would be less exciting, boring even. But we'd be champs none the less if we won ther Super Bowl and then had to dump Griffin.

I say take the Lombardi trophies when you can, because teams can fall apart over night. SS, I see where you and others are coming from. The perfect picture is an extended run with multiple seasons ending with a title. That is so rare that I'm not sure it's worth the roll of the dice.

I'd love to build a 15-year dynasty with our championship window wide open, but the reality is that the average career lasts just a few years. If a couple of those careers break the wrong way for a given team, your dynastic franchise is in rebuilding mode. If that happens before you've won a title, you are empty-handed and soon forgotten by history.

The 2002 Bucs are a forgettable team. But Brad Johnson and that defense are forever recognized as the league champions. No one can ever take that away. On the other hand, the Lions' fans got to watch Barry Sanders do amazing things. Those teams were in the hunt many times. But I can't remember anything other than highlights about those teams.

I say take the Lombardi trophies when you can, because teams can fall apart over night. SS, I see where you and others are coming from. The perfect picture is an extended run with multiple seasons ending with a title. That is so rare that I'm not sure it's worth the roll of the dice.

I'd love to build a 15-year dynasty with our championship window wide open, but the reality is that the average career lasts just a few years. If a couple of those careers break the wrong way for a given team, your dynastic franchise is in rebuilding mode. If that happens before you've won a title, you are empty-handed and soon forgotten by history.

The 2002 Bucs are a forgettable team. But Brad Johnson and that defense are forever recognized as the league champions. No one can ever take that away. On the other hand, the Lions' fans got to watch Barry Sanders do amazing things. Those teams were in the hunt many times. But I can't remember anything other than highlights about those teams.

I agree. Griffin is an amazing talent and an extremely fun player to watch but I've loved the Redskins before him and I will after him. The goal is to win Super Bowls.

I dont live and die with every play because I want to watch something exciting to pass the time and have just chosen the Redskins as my team. They are a part of me whether they know it or not and I do it because I want to see them reach the top of the mountain and achieve greatness again and again. 

Sure, it might be slightly less exciting with another QB but we are going to face that day anyway and the Redskins will always be exciting to me. Besides, we have a good team even without Griffin so we may drop a bit and turn it right back around again.

Take the rings people.

And I say this as someone who stood on top of another guys back just to be high enough to reach over the crowd to try to get Griffin's autograph at TC.  

...and so can players. I think the people answering "no" are just assuming that RG3 will always be the same exciting, dynamic player that he was last year. There's no guarantee that he won't regress in a couple years, or at least slow down to mortal form. For all we know, five years from now he could be Carson Palmer.

If he does slow down, people will not only be wishing they could go back and take the trophy instead, they'll be looking to trade RG so we can get the next "better than a Super Bowl" quarterback.

...and so can players. I think the people answering "no" are just assuming that RG3 will always be the same exciting, dynamic player that he was last year. There's no guarantee that he won't regress in a couple years, or at least slow down to mortal form. For all we know, five years from now he could be Carson Palmer.

If he does slow down, people will not only be wishing they could go back and take the trophy instead, they'll be looking to trade RG so we can get the next "better than a Super Bowl" quarterback.

(Applause)

I'd easily take the Super Bowl trophy. So many good to great teams fall short of winning a title with elite level QB play. Peyton Manning, probably the GOAT, only has 1; Favre only has 1, Marino 0, Kelly 0. Yes, RG3 is exciting to watch, but I'd take it without question. Who's to say the next QB won't be good.

I would trade body parts for a Super Bowl.

I have no problem trading Robert's for him. 

That reminds me of the thread earlier this offseason asking whether or not people would give RG3 their ACL. That was a great one  :lol:

I'm glad we actually don't have to make this decision and will end up with the best of both worlds: Keeping RG3 for a long time and winning Super Bowls

That reminds me of the thread earlier this offseason asking whether or not people would give RG3 their ACL. That was a great one  :lol:

And I was one who said he could have one of mine, lol.

I'm glad we actually don't have to make this decision and will end up with the best of both worlds: Keeping RG3 for a long time and winning Super Bowls

I'd love two out of him, but I want one at least.

Yes. I don't even have to think about it.

This.  It's not even a question.  A guaranteed SB in hand vs a CHANCE for more.  I don't care how good RG3 is gonna be, he may never reach the SB, let alone win multiple.  Multiple SBs is asking a lot, I don't think people are grasping that.  Give me the SB victory and I'll wish RG3 luck in his future endeavors.  

I'd easily take the Super Bowl trophy. So many good to great teams fall short of winning a title with elite level QB play. Peyton Manning, probably the GOAT, only has 1; Favre only has 1, Marino 0, Kelly 0. Yes, RG3 is exciting to watch, but I'd take it without question. Who's to say the next QB won't be good.

I almost said the exact same thing until I read this.  But banking that RG3's gonna win multiple SBs is insane.  One can think he has that ability, but to roll the dice and leave one on the table thinking he's a lock for more is a big time gamble.  I think the odds would favor having one and a subsequent QB getting another over RG3 getting multiple.  

Archived