Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Give Up Rg3 For One Super Bowl Victory?

Springfield

I wonder how many Ravens fans would want to have their last Super Bowl victory annulled if it meant they got RG3 as their quarterback? I'm betting the answer is zero.

This is basically how I came up with my hypothetical, except with Ray Lewis. I was watched the Ravens D get torched by Manning and was taking to some people the next day about how their D now sucked without Lewis (and others). We were all in agreement that they just win the Super Bowl so who cares how bad their D is now.

Also, no where did I say that you would know that a Super Bowl win is coming, that RG3 had to leave the team due to a career ending injury or that RG3 wasn't a part of this Super Bowl winning team.

Good points Springfield.

The hypothetical goes like this for me...I would know nothing in advance. Basically, if 10 years from now I could look back in time would I rather have:

1. Option 1: at least 1 Super Bowl title and Cousins playing QB (potentially adding more Super Bowls) after RG3 stopped playing (for any reason...maybe to run for Congress or open a bakery, whatever)
  2. Option 2: no championships but still have RG3 playing QB

I would pick option 1.

Guys, the whole point of this game is to win Superbowl championships. If you wouldn't give it all up for that end, you're watching this sport for reasons I couldn't begin to understand.

In my case, I view myself more as a football fan than a fan of any team in particular. If this makes me less of a 'true fan', then I'm fine with it. I'm more interested in intriguing match-ups and great football action than anything else.

For example, I know a girl who is a diehard Ravens fan and supports the Ravens way more than I support the Skins -- but she couldn't tell you what 22 personnel are or the difference between 12 and 21 personnel are, or what trips left means. I like the game itself more than anything else.

For me, the most interesting match-ups of the week are Chiefs/Eagles, Texans/Ravens and Redskins/Lions -- but not just because I like the Skins, but because I'm curious to see if the Redskins offense can get things on track and to see how well the Lions do without Reggie Bush (if he ends up not playing, natch).

While winning a Super Bowl would be great, I'm really interested to see how RG3 develops as a NFL quarterback... will he end up being everything people expected? In ten years, how will he rate next to Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson? Can he transition to being more of a pocket-passer that can scramble or will he end up being Michael Vick? I'm really interested to find out.

This is basically how I came up with my hypothetical, except with Ray Lewis. I was watched the Ravens D get torched by Manning and was taking to some people the next day about how their D now sucked without Lewis (and others). We were all in agreement that they just win the Super Bowl so who cares how bad their D is now.

Also, no where did I say that you would know that a Super Bowl win is coming, that RG3 had to leave the team due to a career ending injury or that RG3 wasn't a part of this Super Bowl winning team.

But you do know that one IS coming.  That is all part of the hypothetical. You did say in your OP, that he had to leave the team (retirement, injury (god forbid).  The hypothetical is that someone tells you you CAN win a SB, but after that SB, Griffin can no longer play on the team.  If you say yes, I'm willing to not have Griffin on the team, then by effect, you know a SB "is" coming.

Archived