Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Songs From The 90's

ThePackisback

Collective Soul - The World I Know (1995)

Collective Soul had a good run there in the middle of the decade.

Some others that held up really well:

The Breeders - Cannon Ball (1993)

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (1995)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eePRkP1HMYQ

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (1998)

Weezer - Pink Triangle (1996)

Third Eye Blind - Thanks a Lot (1997)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvWVyGKIKk

Man I loved that album.  Still listen to it every once in a while.

Bittersweet Symphony and its video kind of came out of left field for pop music.  Just really iconic and conspicuously good in a time when a lot of pop music was very shallow, formulaic, and banal.

Speaking of which, here's a great song alluding to that very situation:

Blues Traveler - Hook (1994)

Pachelbel's Canon in D got a lot of burn in particular in 90s.  

Some other instances of its use,

- Green Day - Basket Case (1994) (the chord progression)

- Vitamin C - Graduation Friends Forever (1999)

- Tupac - Life Goes On (1995)

- Coolio - C U When U Get THere (1997)  He just sampled the thing directly

gibbs hog- you don't know how close I was to posting 'bittersweet symphony' earlier. great song. also love echo and the bunnymen-. was going to post 'the cutter' but I think it was an 80s tune.

also had the lighting seeds cassette- 'pure'

I love smashing pumpkins 'Siamese dream' but nothing after that by them.

forget the fact that he's gyrating around like billy squire in 'rock me tonite'. its just a great song.

I used to hate on The Smiths and Morrissey without mercy back in the day.  Really dig it since about 2002.  

gibbs hog- you don't know how close I was to posting 'bittersweet symphony' earlier. great song. also love echo and the bunnymen-. was going to post 'the cutter' but I think it was an 80s tune.

also had the lighting seeds cassette- 'pure'

Brody was never my favourite, but I've loved the Bunnymen since way back. 'Ocean Rain' was the first album I ever bought. after being blown away by a song off their next album, 'Bring on the Dancing Horses.' It was just different from the keyboard driven early 80's hits ya' know? Strings, layered yet simple lyrics. Love McCulloch. Macs a genius. But like Wylie, I don't think he's ever realised just how good he is as he's never really wanted the attention. Just two totally unpretentious, down-to-Earth yet highly talented, very savvy (in all forms when it comes to Wiley, not least politically) Liverpool lads. 

As for the 'Verve', IMHO, Richard Ashcroft is up there with Noel Gallagher and anyone else you care to mention as the best song writer to come out of Britain in the last 20/30 years. The dudes a genius and doesn't get the recognition he truly deserves in many quarters. 

Seriously, how the hell have you guys not put any ska up yet? I am dissapoint.

Ask and ye shall receive. Not much new stuff from the nutty boys in the '90's, but when they did return, this was Madness doing what only Madness can do .....

Hail. 

Archived