Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Memorable Win And Losses

ThePackisback

I am trying to learn a lot about the Redskins and their history. Hate to start another topic so last topic for awhile. I just wanted to ask Redskin faithful what is your favorite victories where the wins were satisfying and the worst losses of all time. I also noticed they have tons of Full Redskin games on You tube. I just watched one from 1987 vs the Vikings!

Best wins since I've been following during 1973 season:

1) NFCCG victory over the Boys in early '83

2) Super Bowl XVII victory over Miami a week after #1

3) Victory at the Vet in early '91, avenging Body Bag Game

Worst losses:

1) Blowing 13-point lead in final 5 minutes against Dallas in '79, costing us the division and a playoff spot

2) Losing to the Bears in the playoffs at RFK following the '84 season, signifying that we wouldn't be going to a 3rd straight Super Bowl

3) Blown out in Super Bowl XVIII by the Raiders

The last game the skins played is one of the worst losses for me. To finally be whipping the sea chickens in the playoffs just to have it taken away and our star blow out his knee on the way to our third straight playoff loss to them just left me feeling empty for a few weeks. Seeing Trent Williams smack Sherman in the face made me feel a little better though.

My memory only goes back to '90 so here goes.

Losses:

49er playoff game '90

'92 Dallas MNF week 1 23-10

'92 @ Arizona-- the cardinals stunk back then we never lost to them, and they came from behind 17-0 to win 27-24

49er playoff game '92- All Brian Mitchell had to do was hold onto the ball

'93 @ Philly- Reggie Brooks only good game for us

'93 @ Arizona 36-6 I flipped my lid that game

'95 @ TB 14-6 the only game Alvin Harper had an impact for them

'95 @ Philly Garner and Watters both go for 100 yards rushing. I had nightmares about our Run D for years.

'96 SF we played an amazing game but SF won a close one 19-16

Any Cardinal loss between '95 and '98

'00 TB 14-13 Playoff game Nuff said. Shaun King fumble play for a first down. Ugh

'05 @ TB 36-35 Alstott wasn't in

'10 N.O. idk who our kicker was but he blew a chip shot that would have tied the game

Wins:

'91 @Dallas 33-31

'91 both Falcon games, Rypiens 6 TD's vs Seat cushions " And their showering the field with them"

SB 26

'92 Dallas 20-17 great game, the Aikman fumble in the end zone.

'95 Sweeping the SB champion Cowboys with Frerotte and Shuler at QB

'97 @ Carolina season opener the weekend Princess Diana died 24-10

'99 @SF 26-20 --Centers TD to win it, the first game I witnessed a win vs SF

'05 @Dallas MNF 14-13 I never cheered so hard after a win

'05 NYG great blow out, I was tired of Eli at that point

'05 Playoff vs TB. Great revenge win

'12 NYG 17-16 great game and win

I like your threads Packisback.  So in respect to you, here are the right answers (subject to individual variation, of course):

Best Win - "We Want dallas!"

Wost Loss - the year The Hated Rival came to DC Winless and......won.

Now, my response to your question will concern games played this past season.

Best Win - Winning the NFC East(!!) by beating The HATED Rival on National TV; Al Michaels calling the game...it was truly classic!

Worst Loss - Losing to St. Louis due to maddeningly ironic circumstances.  

Here's the story - Josh Morgan was quoted in The Washington Post saying that you couldn't allow Courtland Finnegan's antics to affect your play on the field.  Now that was in the gameday section of the Sunday Post sports page.  Well, what happened during the game?  On a critical late 4th quarter drive, Morgan draws a crippling Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after the whistle for throwing the ball at.......well, YOU guess who?  It was so ****ING UNBELIEVABLE, I had to show my buddies his exact words in print regarding that VERY ****ING THING in that day's paper. Here's the proof:

http://deadspin.com/5943894/josh-morgan-talked-about-not-being-provoked-by-cortland-finnegan-before-he-let-cortland-finnegan-provoke-him

I was incredulous.  Given the circumstances, THAT was the toughest loss BY FAR last season.

Best win - '75 OT win over Cowboys.  Kilmer wins it with a QB sneak.  Kenny Houston with a big play in this one.

Worst loss - Not even close.  '79 to those same Cowboys in Dallas.  In 6 minutes Skins go from division champs with home field advantage throughout the playoffs to out of the playoffs.

Still haunts me to this day.

I've been a fan since the late 80s.  I remember Super Bowl XXII but I didn't really understand football at the time.  I remember the '91 season well though -- I was 10/11 years old for that.  That said:

Favorite Wins (in no particular order):

1) Super Bowl XXVI

2) '91 playoffs against the Falcons (seat cushion game; there was so much trash talk about this one during game week.  Jerry Glanville sent the entire team out as the captains for the coin toss. The rapper Hammer was on the sidelines for the falcons.  I wasn't near a TV that day and I still remember the radio guys joking about that at the end of the game, saying, "Wait is that MC Hammer standing in the east end zone singing 'Hail to the Redskins'"; it was wet and cold and at RFK -- perfect day of football)

3)  '92 against Denver on MNF (first game I went to; Art Monk broke steve largent's record)

4) 2005 at Dallas, Monday Night Miracle

5) 2006 versus Dallas, the hand of God

6) 2012 thanksgiving -- the cowboys didn't ruin my thanksgiving for once

Worst Losses (in no particular order):

1) '91 against the Cowboys ruined the perfect season (anyone remember the Hail Mary at the end of the first half?)

2) The bodybag game ('90? against Philly on MNF)

3) 1999 against Dallas -- blew a 21-point lead i nthe 4th quarter, lost in OT

4) 1998 home against SF, possible one of the worst Redskins losses I've ever watched; there was a lot of anticipation going into that season and this game crushed it; they started 0-7, i think

5) 2005-2006 playoffs against Seattle: I really thought they were going to make a run go to the Super Bowl

6) 2010 against Philly -- yeah, we don't need say anymore about this one.

5 of the 12 games are against Dallas.  Go figure.  (And I don't even get into the rivalry as much as some)

The redskins are an old team like the Packers so a lot of history is classic history.  From drafting Sammy Baugh, to keeping the Cowboys out of the league for years, to being the last segregated team then the first team to win a SB with a starting black QB.  

There's so much history with the Skins, it goes beyond win losses.  There's a reason why we have the longest wait list, the most sellout games, and the biggest stadium (not sure this is still true since we took out 10k seats-- I think it is though, its just each stadium has their own version of "capacity" with the cowboys including staff). 

You haven't heard a lot from Redskins nation for the past 20 years since winning the SB 3 times with 3 different quarterbacks, it seems like its starting to become the Redskins time and a lot of teams are going to be taken by surprise, they were a dominant team and I think they are about to be again. 

My memory only goes back to '90 so here goes.

Losses:

49er playoff game '90

'92 Dallas MNF week 1 23-10

'92 @ Arizona-- the cardinals stunk back then we never lost to them, and they came from behind 17-0 to win 27-24

49er playoff game '92- All Brian Mitchell had to do was hold onto the ball

'93 @ Philly- Reggie Brooks only good game for us

'93 @ Arizona 36-6 I flipped my lid that game

'95 @ Philly Garner and Watters both go for 100 yards rushing. I had nightmares about our Run D for years.

'96 SF we played an amazing game but SF won a close one 19-16

'00 TB 14-13 Playoff game Nuff said. Shaun King fumble play for a first down. Ugh

'10 N.O. idk who our kicker was but he blew a chip shot that would have tied the game

Wins:

'91 @Dallas 33-31

'91 both Falcon games, Rypiens 6 TD's vs Seat cushions " And their showering the field with them"

SB 26

'92 Dallas 20-17 great game, the Aikman fumble in the end zone.

'95 Sweeping the SB champion Cowboys with Frerotte and Shuler at QB

'97 @ Carolina season opener the weekend Princess Diana died 24-10

'99 @SF 26-20 --Centers TD to win it, the first game I witnessed a win vs SF

'05 @Dallas MNF 14-13 I never cheered so hard after a win

'05 NYG great blow out, I was tired of Eli at that point

'05 Playoff vs TB. Great revenge win

'12 NYG 17-16 great game and win

huh? i dont remember playing the saints in 2010. do u mean december of 2009? suisham was our kicker at that time and missed an easy field goal that would have put us up by 10. the saints won in the end.

The wins.

All of the Superbowl wins.

2005 @Dallas 14-13 - The Monday Night Miracle. Not only did it ruin The Triplets party and was truly an amazing comeback, it broke the curse. Dallas had won 14 of the 15 meetings before that game. Even though they were actually worse than us for much of that stretch. From 2000-2002 the Cowboys won 15 games (5-11 3 straight years), 5 of them came against the Skins who were a .500 team at the time. Since that win the series is 8-8. With the Skins winning all of the meaningful games.

2005 Dallas 35-7 - Total domination. I think the 28 point margin of victory still stands as the largest for the Skins in series history. Plus the game had huge playoff implications. This was the first seeason sweep since 1995.

1990 Wild Card @ Philly 20-6 - Body Bag Revenge. I watched this game at a bar in the Poconos surrounded by Eagles fans. I had gone up there on a ski trip that I could not get out of. I blew off skiing to watch the game. 

1991 Basically all of the games. That was such a great year.

2012 Dallas Sweep The first sweep since 2005. Thanksgiving Day and to win the division. It does not get better than that.

The losses. The Superbowl loss to the Raiders is of course the worst. The playoff loss last year is a close second. Some others have already been mentioned.

I think the 95 Tampa game is the only Skins game I can remember shutting off. The kicker in the NO game was Swishy. Hence the booing he recieved this preseason when the Steelers came to town.

The Cardinal losses under Norv deserve special mention. BEHOLD THE MAGIC OF NORV!

1996 Cardinals 34-37 OT The 7-3 Skins were 10.5 pt favorites and led 34-20 in the 4th. Boomer Esiason threw for 522 yds and 3 TDs. In overtime the Skins made the game winning kick only to have it nullified by a holding penalty. The Cards kicker missed 2 kicks in OT. The second one came with :37 seconds left. The Skins jumped offsides and gave him another chance which he made. Only Norv can lose like this. The Skins finished the year 9-7 and missed the playoffs by one game.

2000 @Cardinals 15-16 The 6-4 Skins were a 10 pt favorite. This game featured an Arizona 103 yd fumble return for a TD. Kris Heppner missed a potential game winning 33 yd kick, if I remember correctly it hit the upright. Norv was fired 3 weeks later after another kicking fiasco against the Giants. The team finished 8-8.

And one last Norv loss. The one that ended the horror.

2000 Giants 7-9 The Skins were a 6 point favorite at home. The offense looked awful most of the game. Jeff George led a come back and got the team into position for a 49 yd game winning field goal. Everyone in the stadium knew that 44 yr old Eddie Murray did not have the leg to make the kick. He came up short the week before on a potential game tying 44 yarder. Of course the kick came up short. The Skins lost and Norv was fired that night.

If they had a competent kicker that team might have won the Superbowl. They beat the eventual champion Ratbirds and the greatest show on turf Rams on the road. Kicking had a role in 3 losses that year. FIVE kickers attemptred kicks that year making only 66.7%. They also missed 2 PATs.

That is enough wallowing in the misery of Norv. There are too many bad losses from that era to list them all.

Wins - Championship games against the Cowboys before SB's 7 and 17, SB's 17 (our first SB win) and 22, and last years Turkey Day win against the Cowboys (after all those years... FINALLY) w/honorable mentions given to Moseley's winning FG against the Giants in the snow ('82), and the Brunell - Moss Monday Night Miracle win against the Cowboys ('05)

Losses - SB 18 against the Raiders (it just totally SUCKED... really), and although it was not one of the worst losses, it was non the less memorable... the '83 MNF game against your Packers. Every player on both sides just collapsed to the ground right after it was over.

Best win - '75 OT win over Cowboys.  Kilmer wins it with a QB sneak.  Kenny Houston with a big play in this one.

Worst loss - Not even close.  '79 to those same Cowboys in Dallas.  In 6 minutes Skins go from division champs with home field advantage throughout the playoffs to out of the playoffs.

Still haunts me to this day.

Thing about the '79 loss.  If we'd won, we'd probably been 1 and done in the playoffs but Riggo comes back for the 1980 season.  We at least do well enough in 1980 that Pardee wins the political battle with Beathard.  Beathard is fired or quits and the Gibbs era never happens.

Wins:
1982, NFCCG: Redskins 31, Cowboys 17. That was the game that announced we has truly arrived. A new era had truly begun. Fir the first time in my (at the time) short life, we weren't the team that was scared. We wanted blood, amdd by the football gods, we got it that day. I was 12 years old at the time. Best win of my life.

Superbowls 17, 26, & 22 ...In that order.

1983 divisional round: Redskins 51, Rams 7. Dropping 51 in the playoffs ... I still can't believe we went on to lose that Super Bowl.

1991, wildcard round: Redskins 24, Falcons 7. The 1991 Falcons were one of the douchiest teams in NFL history. Smacking them down without breaking a sweat was ... wonderful.

1992, week 15: Redskins 20, Cowboys 17. The Cowboys were on their way up and our window was just closing, but we managed to give them one last smack in the mouth before it was over.

1999, week 2: Redskins 50, Giants 21. The first half of 99 was a big old party on offense. Stephen Davis ran all over the Giants that's day. A few weeks later we dropped 48 on the Bears. A couple rare bright moments in a 20-year abss of suck.

1999, Wildcard Round: Redskins 27, Lions 13. The only time during the Norv Era I ever went into an upcoming game and KNEW we were going to win it. I was at that game and FedEx Field was absolutelt deafening.

2005, week 2: Redskins 14, Cowboys 13. Thank you Joe. A very satisfying way to end the awful streak of losing heartbreakers to Dallas. This game signified the end of the Redskins being an automatic win for them.

2005, week 14: Redskins 35, Cowboys 7. A sweep! A sweep with a curbstomp! A sweep to knock them out of the playoffs and take their spot! It really doesn't get better than that.

2012, week 17: Redskins 28, Cowboys 18. I think, honestly, that I could put all ten wins of this season on this list, but beating Dallas in a game for the division crown gets the mention. I probably should have done losses first because our '79 loss to the Cowboys was the single-most defining game of my fandom. I never got over that loss. Until this win. We owed them. For 33 years we owed them. And this year we finally got them back.

Losses:
1979, week 16: Redskins 34, Cowboys 35. Redskins up by 13 with a few minutes to go and the division on the line. Worst loss ever.

1983, Superbowl 18: Redskins 9, Raiders 38. Embarrassing. Redskins forgot to show up.

1986 NFCCG: Redskins 0, Giants 17. Three of our five losses that year were to the Giants. We were the second best team in the league that year. Unfortunately the best team was also in our division.

1994-2000: pretty much every loss during the Norv years is a tie (though thanks above for the Cardinals mentions. I'd rather not repeat them.) Norv always seemed to find new and creative ways to crush our hopes into fine powder.

1999, week 1: Redskins 35, Cowboys 41. This one gets special mention because we were winning by 21 in the fourth quarter. Not only did they come back to beat us but they swept us that year. Ech.

2003, week 15: Redskins 0, Cowboys 27. The defining game of the Steve Spurrier era. Hasselbeck posts a 0.0 rating and Troy Hambrick looks like Jim Brown.

2004, week 16: Redskins 10, Cowboys 13. Vinne Testeverde to Patrick Crayton on 4th and ten.

2005, week 8: Redskins 0, Giants 36. We always seemed to catch the Giants at the wrong times and this was the worst. RIP Wellington Mara. Your son sure ain't you.

2007, week 8: Redskins 7, Patriots 52. Bill Belichick is an ass.

2007, week 13: Redskins 16, Bills 17. Sean Taylor dies that week. Gibbs makes a boneheaded call that hands Buffalo the win. Just an awful day.

2010, week 10: Redskins 28, Eagles 59. Mike Vicks career day. Why do so many players have career days against us?

2013, wildcard round: Redskins 14, Seahawks 24. I can't really talk about this one yet.

Most of my picks have been covered here, but another very embarrassing loss that has not been discussed here was the 14-19 loss to the Detriot Lions at Ford Field.  The (Lions) had lost all 16 of their games in the previous season (many in blow out fashion) and they had yet to win a game before playing us.  So of course we had to be the ones to break their historically bad losing streak. What makes it worse is the Lions only won 1 other game after their victory over us. That was against the Browns (lol).  

I know a lot of fans will make the argument that we sucked too, so that loss shouldn't have been embarrassing, but it took me a while to get over that one.

Most memorable;

Gee, where do I start?  I guess I would begin with the NFC championship against Dallas; to see the bleachers rockin' with pumped up fans, which officially let the rest of the NFL know that Gibbs was going to be one of the greatest coaches.

Next i'd have to lean on the playoff game vs Chicago; Payton's last game, Green's PR TD, and 2 QBs jockeying back and forth in the lineup all season.

Worst loss; well, more of an embarrassment; Swinging Gate. Nuff said about that little black eye on the team.

What makes it worse is the Lions only won 1 other game after their victory over us.

I know a lot of fans will make the argument that we sucked too, so that loss shouldn't have been embarrassing, but it took me a while to get over that one.

I agree, but I feel this game set into motion what was finally THE END of our 10 year nightmare with Snyder... letting go of Cerrato. Of course Fatty Mclardsworth helped also.

1992, week 15: Redskins 20, Cowboys 17. The Cowboys were on their way up and our window was just closing, but we managed to give them one last smack in the mouth before it was over.

Funny thing about that game: I distinctly remember watching that game at ~12 years old but never quite figured out what happened on that play in the endzone.  *YEARS* later, my dad bought a "Redskins History" tape from Safeway and I got to see that play again, slowed motioned it and finally saw it.

(For anyone scoring at home, the Redskins were down  17-13 with ~4 minutes to go when Aikman almost got sacked in his own end zone.  In a rush to avoid the safety he tried to pitch to Emmitt but a huge scrum fell on the ball.  Danny Copeland scooped it up and got out of the dogpile before ~15 people jumped on.  The refs spent what seemed like an eternity pulling guys out of the pile and at the end of it, there was no football.  Copeland was at the 50 celebrating.  Eventually they figured it out and gave him the touchdown).

I just took it at face value for close to ten years before I ever saw that play again.

For myself its the win against the Cowboys for the 2012 NFC East championship. I was at the game with my Dad, which was awesome because we don't get to do things like that. It was also my first time seeing a Skins/Cowboys game live and it was for a chance to go to the playoffs. It was more than just a simple win, but I feel like the first chapter of a great story with this team. Kinda like the NE/Raiders game with the tuck rule. But ours is taking the NFC-east after such horrible teams since 1999. The starting of a some thing really special.

Archived