Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surround Sound/gaming/home Entertainment Rig

da#1skinsfan

OK after years of procrastination, it has finally hit me, with as much as I enjoy playing video games and watching movies, its time to get a nice surround sound setup. I want my gaming to be an "experience" - lights off, booming sound, no wires anywhere, nice setup with all my systems, one remote for everything, etc.

Question is - how can I accomplish this? I don't want to spend a TON, its not about the amount as much as its the fact I don't want to overpay. Brand x may sound awesome but if brand y is 90% at half the price, I'm on it. At the same time, I don't really have time to learn all the ins and outs, or set it up myself...I kind of just want to explain what I want, pick out the equipment and have someone set it up.

What are your experiences here, any recommendations?

Generally, in electronics, most of that 10% is in the reliability.  Even if you don't plan to buy the service plan, find out if one is offered if the item is more than about $200.00 because if its not, the product sucks and you probably don't want it even it it looks good enough on the showroom floor.  If one is offered, the lower the service plan is relative to the base price, the more reliable the product.  This is because the winners (the ones with equipment that doesn't have issues) pay for the losers (the ones with equipment issues) while the company makes its money on the vig (just like insurance).

1. Determine how much you want to spend.

2. Get the room dimensions where you will be installing the system

3. Determine the distance from speakers to seating area (how far will most seats be from the TV & speakers)

3. Determine the maximum size of the equipment (speakers can't be bigger than HxW, must be in wall, in ceiling, equipment must fit on a shelf HxW, etc.)

I probably forgot some things, but this should help you narrow down equipment that fits your requirements. You don't need 1000w of power in a room that is 10x10. Well, I guess you could but it would be overkill.

A couple of other things to consider: number of speakers you want (5 or 7 for surround sound), will you want to power speakers in a different room (I have 5 in my den & also have 2 on my deck, all run by 1 receiver). I

I've had very good success with my Harmon Kardon AV receiver. I'm not an expert but I'm sure there's others here that are....

Went to BB today to get a bar on a whim. Ended up with the "energy power bar" and subwoofer, on sale and good reviews.

Overall, yes it adds an awesome element, but I'm not getting much of a surround sound feel. I like to hear footsteps behind me in Call of duty for example. really enjoy that. It's loud yes, subwoofer is nice, but its on max right now and it's....cool. Not mind blowing. Think I may need to step it up....guess I need the whole receiver/multiple speakers setup.

I could probably type a lot on the subject but I'm on my phone. I don't agree with zoony.

Make sure you get a good receiver. Doesn't have to be the most powerful but one but a good feature set will go a long way. Obviously you'll want one that can handle Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio. One that accepts an ARC from your TV is really helpful. HDMI inputs that pass through video is a must. You ideally want one HDMI going to your TV and a good receiver will make this happen with ease. There are other features that make hooking up to your iPod, phone and other stuff easier as well. Those don't really matter to me though.

That's all I have for now. Basically, it all starts with your receiver.

Just get a quality soundbar with a good subwoofer and move on. Surround sound is vastly overrated.

I agree with this if it was like one of those Bose systems. But if I can't get that Bose sound bar, I rather just have the more economical original surround speakers.

Right now, I don't have anything :(

For best results, get a good receiver, and decent speakers.  The key is the receiver.    Soundbars are good for what they are but if you want to get immersed get the receiver and then buy the speakers you want.   They come wifi enabled now.     Don't buy the home theater system in a box (those you can get anywhere for under 500.      You don't want one of those.    

Good receiver.   Decent speakers.    

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone here use wireless speakers? I was thinking about going with wireless rear speakers in a surround sound and was wondering if anyone here had experience with them.

I used to have wireless rear speakers.  I personally think they suck. The sound wasn't true.  I am building a house now, and when the basement is finished I will be installing a hard wired, recessed surround system.

I currently have the Sony sound bar with woofer. It is sufficient for the tiny ass apartment we are in now, and will work for the family room in the new place.

Just get a quality soundbar with a good subwoofer and move on. Surround sound is vastly overrated.

This.  My father has the fancy schmancy Bose surround sound setup.  While its pretty sweet, it was also expensive as balls.

We found a Sony bar and woofer for about $300 on amazon, and it got amazing reviews.  Sony HTC260, for about $300.  Sound bar gets really, really loud.  it mimics surround sound very well, with just a bar sitting in front of the television, it can make sounds feel like they're coming from either side or behind me.  The wireless subwoofer produces heavy bass that rattles stacked plates in the kitchen, 30 feet away.  best 300 bucks i ever spent.

its also got blutooth, so you can stream music from your phone or computer. 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HTCT260-Sound-Theater-System/dp/B00945RAQY

I see these threads every now and then and I always post this.  The Denon receiver Boston Acoustics speakers Surround system is the best bar none for the cost.  The model number changes every couple years.  The Denon DHT-1513BA is the current model number.  Even if you only use the sub and front 3 speakers the sound is great. 

Does anyone know if the led lights on a receiver can be repaired/replaced?  I have a Sony receiver, nothing fancy, a bit outdated (it's from back before HDMI was the standard so I am using optical lines to the TV and to the PS3) but overall it is very reliable and powerful 100x6 6.1 receiver that suits all my needs.

I know one day I was planning to upgrade, but it's something I'd rather ideally hold off from doing for another couple of years.

The issue is the lights on the front panel screen are starting to fade. Some more than others.  It's mostly the portion of the display that says "VIDEO 1" or "PS3/DVD" aka the input display.  The blue light that lights up for an optical connection is fine. The lights that highlight the speakers selected per your surround sound selection is fine, however I figure if one part is fading, the rest may not be too far behind.  Part of this was my fault since I know I would always leave the receiver on standby for too many hours even when not using it, but nothing I can do to change that now.

So do those panels work via some type of bulb(s) behind the LED screen in them or is there really nothing you can do once the LED display starts dying?

this is going to make me sound awful- or cheap (which i am :) ), but i actually went to k mart last year and bought a 6 speaker surround sound system and paid some ridiculously small amount like $60. i figured it wouldnt be great, but i dont have this massive family room- just wanted some sound to come from the sides and back. 

believe it or not, it sounds great. 

Home Theater in-a-box kind of gets a bad wrap.  Sure, there are some that are complete garbage, but there are also some very good quality ones, especially for folks who aren't looking for 5000 watts of power.

It's really a cost-value issue.  Someone people just don't have the money to build their system piece by piece, and if you do your research when it comes to brand and models, you can find some in-a-box setups that are pretty nice.

My mom got one a few years back and I was watching the movie SEVEN on it, and anytime there was a scene where it was raining it sounded so crystal clear that I actually felt like it was raining outside. In fact even a couple of the cats sleeping by the window would perk up and look out of the window thinking it was raining.

Archived