Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Brian Orakpo’s ‘Bane’ mask banned by NFL

bentskin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/08/12/brian-orakpos-bane-mask-may-be-banned-by-nfl/

On Friday, the NFL told Colts defensive end Robert Mathis that his
custom facemask would not be permitted by the league. NFL spokesman
Brian McCarthy told NFL.com via e-mail that the mask, which is similar to Brian Orakpo’s custom Bane mask, ”was considered a prohibited non-standard customized face mask.”

I noticed and wondered why Orakpo was not sporting the new facemask when I watched the game Sunday. Now I know.

I get uniforms are supposed to be "uniform" but this just makes Goodell and the NFL look controlling.

HTTR

by rule - 4 horizontal and 3 vertical bars are allowed - unless there is a medical necessity for something else.

This might be a ploy to have the competition committee review the rules and make adjustments. Similar to when ref's make calls to draw attention to rules - they have no choice but to enforce them, they can't change or ignore them. But, they can draw attention to it.

What sor of medical reason can Tuck have for needing one that wouldn't also apply to anyone else?

Last i recall, tuck said he wore it to keep linemen from poking their fingers in his face.

They don't poke anyone else?

~Bang

What sor of medical reason can Tuck have for needing one that wouldn't also apply to anyone else?

Last i recall, tuck said he wore it to keep linemen from poking their fingers in his face.

~Bang

a neck/spine injury.

~Bang

a neck/spine injury.

And a heavier face mask helps that condition how?

~Bang

a neck/spine injury.

And a heavier face mask helps that condition how?

Less chance for his head to be twisted I guess.

Archived