Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I threaten people who try to schedule anything with me during a finals game with violence.  Seems to do the trick.

If it was my team, I would be like naw. But I could care less about the Warriors and Cavs other than they give me a hefty amount of entertainment as far as basketball games go.

Unfortunately, right now I'm enjoying this new relationship with my girl and if I gotta sacrifice a finals game, it is what it is. :D

All that being said, I was in a weak debate about Kobe vs Lebron. Bammas can only seem to bring up:

1.Kobe's rings

2.Lebron not being clutch (which I already said was a lie)

3.Kobe never having to leave the Lakers to win a ring (That's because people came to him)

What I'm trying to get people to realize is that Lebron has taken a team to the Finals TWICE with a fraction of the talent that Kobe, and Jordan for that matter, ever had on their Final teams.

If it was my team, I would be like naw. But I could care less about the Warriors and Cavs other than they give me a hefty amount of entertainment as far as basketball games go.

Unfortunately, right now I'm enjoying this new relationship with my girl and if I gotta sacrifice a finals game, it is what it is. :D

All that being said, I was in a weak debate about Kobe vs Lebron. Bammas can only seem to bring up:

1.Kobe's rings

2.Lebron not being clutch (which I already said was a lie)

3.Kobe never having to leave the Lakers to win a ring (That's because people came to him)

What I'm trying to get people to realize is that Lebron has taken a team to the Finals TWICE with a fraction of the talent that Kobe, and Jordan for that matter, ever had on their Final teams.

The LeBron Kobe argument is laughable. If we are talking about LeBron passing guys like Magic and Bird that means he doooone passed Kobe. Bron is a notch above that playa. This is something we can be friends over Sinister.

• Like 1

MLSKINS- Not that I disagree regarding Lebron > Kobe but Kobe and Jordan could have taken teams to the finals through the East in 07 and probably this year too. That's part of what sparked the Kobe trade talks after that season because Kobe saw how easy the path Lebron was that had in the East.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Kobe was the 2nd best player on his team for 3 of those 5 rings. That is a fact. Doesn't mean he's not great or among the GOATs but by my count as the best player on his team he has the same # of rings as Lebron and fewer Finals appearances.

Historically, Lebron is the superior player. He's done as much if not more with way less.

Lol I just looked up Mr Popo. You guys are terrible. How on Earth was he a character? It's like he was taken from an 1880's children's book of "darky iconography."

LOL

80's anime wasn't known for being PC back then (some of the black characters were just terribly depicted). Master Roshi was a dirty old horndog who looked at perv mags and sexually harassed numerous women, Frieza (the shows foremost villain) is basically an alien Hitler for all intents and purposes, the Androids are merciless killers, and there was one episode where Majin Buu confronts a maniacal serial sniper. That goes with all the impalements and decapitations. 

If you ever decide to watch the show though, you'd have to get your hands on the original American dub. DBZ was redubbed again, and the iconic Bruce Faulconer soundtrack was removed, along with several scenes. Some of the characters were changed a little too. Popo was one of them. I think they made him blue/purple. Not sure whats worse, that, or the jet black look, vacant expressions, and thick lips

Edit, I meant remastered, not redubbed.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Lol I just looked up Mr Popo. You guys are terrible. How on Earth was he a character? It's like he was taken from an 1880's children's book of "darky iconography."

There is still a ton of that kind of iconography casually displayed in Asian countries, if I'm to believe friends & colleagues who spent a good chunk of time living in them.

I'm more surprised that it took FUNimation so many years to edit him purple.

First 'ship was Shaq with Bryant as the sidekick...after that it was Kobe that gave Shaq those opportunities and led the team.

Shaq did get the finals MVP's but it was only because of the pressure that Kobe put on the defense to open up Shaq in the paint.

• Like 1

First 'ship was Shaq with Bryant as the sidekick...after that it was Kobe that gave Shaq those opportunities and led the team.

Shaq did get the finals MVP's but it was only because of the pressure that Kobe put on the defense to open up Shaq in the paint.

This is an odd statement to me.  Easily, the best and easiest way to open up the paint is to be an elite 3 pointer, which Kobe never was and certainly wasn't at that stage of his career (he got better later in his career, but early on I would not even say he was even "good" for a 2 guard, especially considering he was playing with an elite 5).

It is possible that some where there Kobe passed Shaq (I don't think so), but I don't think you can really argue that Kobe opened the paint up for Shaq.

Absolutely. It was during the year of the second 'ship that Kobe...became the player that teams worried about. Easy to stop Shaq...just foul him.

Kobe has never been an elite 3 point shooter. He was a slasher that could also create his own shots. Kobe put the pressure on teams...Shaq was easily fouled and usually missed at least one of the attempts. Cost of doing business some would say.

So has this just been a two game thing, or is Golden State really this inept in transition? It's been a while since I've seen a good team generate so few fast breaks, and then make so many mistakes while running them. Hard to force turnovers when a team ISOs as much as Cleveland has, but they are just terrible on the defensive glass and generate zero pace after boards. Curry plays so slow sometimes and the other guys who have triggered the break have shown poor decision making. Case in point: Iggy passing the ball ahead to Speights and making him run the break, which led to that embarrassing missed dunk. There's just been too many missed transition opportunities where GS has had even or better numbers. They are brilliant at shooting the trailing three, but that's been it. A team with three young stud perimeter players in Curry, Thompson, and Barnes needs to execute and feature the break better.

Meanwhile LeBron scores and gets to the FT line during 1 on 3s. I will say though, Golden State is good at defending the break. They don't play for offensive boards and they get back on defense very well. LeBron is really the only one converting breaks into points on them. But that's also because he's the only elite offensive player Cleveland has right now.

Anyone think Phil Jackson is out there secretly praying for the Cavs to win? This is essentially 90s basketball versus modern offense. A big bruising team with no interest in floor spacing versus a team that shoots three pointers on 3 on 1 fast break opportunities.

Absolutely. It was during the year of the second 'ship that Kobe...became the player that teams worried about. Easy to stop Shaq...just foul him.

Kobe has never been an elite 3 point shooter. He was a slasher that could also create his own shots. Kobe put the pressure on teams...Shaq was easily fouled and usually missed at least one of the attempts. Cost of doing business some would say.

I disagree. There is a reason after Shaq left that Kobe didn't get close to another title for several years despite putting up monster scoring #s. Meanwhile Shaq went to Miami and won a ring in what, two years? The impact of a dominant big is way more significant.

Been awhile since I dipped into this thread. I am rooting for Lebron... shouldn't we expect the road to an NBA championship requires multiple years of heartbreak?

Because of his talent, Lebron has taken his teams on the heartbreak road so much, that I am actually hoping he can miraculously close the deal. GS has not had nearly enough heartbreak and championships shouldn't come easy.

I disagree. There is a reason after Shaq left that Kobe didn't get close to another title for several years despite putting up monster scoring #s. Meanwhile Shaq went to Miami and won a ring in what, two years? The impact of a dominant big is way more significant.

Shaq wouldn't have won a ring in Miami if he had Smush Parker, Devean George, Luke Walton and Ronnie Turiaf out there with him either. 

Shaq wouldn't have won a ring in Miami if he had Smush Parker, Devean George, Luke Walton and Ronnie Turiaf out there with him either. 

Probably, but that doesn't take away from the fact that when Shaq and Kobe were together on the Lakers, Shaq was the better and more important player.

Kobe fans just don't like hearing that Kobe was only the best player on two of those five titles, as if it takes away from his legacy, but its the stone cold truth.

Edited by Warhead36

Probably, but that doesn't take away from the fact that when Shaq and Kobe were together on the Lakers, Shaq was the better and more important player.

Kobe fans just don't like hearing that Kobe was only the best player on two of those five titles, as if it takes away from his legacy, but its the stone cold truth.

But you were making the argument that Shaq was more impactful and thus a better player because he went on to immediate success in Miami while Kobe didn't in LA.

There is a lot more that went into those two situations than just that. Shaq was 2nd fiddle to Wade for the 06 title anyway.