Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Absolute ideal Marvel starting five if we're allowed to use villains and we are playing standard rules so someone like Hulk would be a no-go because he'd be a foul machine:

Go with the Golden State build of four shooters and a defender:

5 = Reed Richards.  Defensive Anchor and lob finisher

4 = Hawkeye.

3 = Longshot.

2 = Bullseye.

1 = Domino.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i cant even wrap my head around this conversation. 

It's hard to stop a team with Superman and Flash though. i mean that transition offense would be incredible and think of how they could get back on defense. They would shut **** down

I'm confident those two alone could beat the entire Marvel starting 5. 

You could even throw the physical force of nature batman in there as a Matthew Delavadova defensive brute type. No super powers like the others, doesn't belong there really but is just gonna charlie hustle and outphysical his way into pissing you off and making mistakes. And he would have lebron/jordan/Duncan/magic/nash combo basketball IQ

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i cant even wrap my head around this conversation. 

It's hard to stop a team with Superman and Flash though. i mean that transition offense would be incredible and think of how they could get back on defense. They would shut **** down

You could even throw the physical force of nature batman in there as a Matthew Delavadova defensive brute type. No super powers like the others, doesn't belong there really but is just gonna charlie hustle and outphysical his way into pissing you off and making mistakes. And he would have lebron/jordan/Duncan/magic/nash combo basketball IQ

Quicksilver could get back on defense ahead of them (or at least at the same speed as them)

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Marvel subs in Blob at the 4 to set picks on Superman.  Reed Richards set picks on the Flash.  Three shooters on the floor that can make full court shots with 100% accuracy.  Meanwhile no one in the DCU can score on Reed Richards.  They wouldn't be able to get the ball up the floor much less get off a shot.  Marvel wins.

The other way Marvel could neutralize Superman is sub in Molecule Man and have him turn himself into Kryptonite and follow Superman around.

I'm assuming Nightcrawler's power would count as a travel when he had the ball, so he would be nerfed.  We'd need a ruling on the legality of Multiple Man's power too.  Being able to throw quadruple teams on the entire opposing team while your other four players cherry pick under your basket feels like a grey area.

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The other way Marvel could neutralize Superman is sub in Molecule Man and have him turn himself into Kryptonite and follow Superman around.

I'm assuming Nightcrawler's power would count as a travel when he had the ball, so he would be nerfed.  We'd need a ruling on the legality of Multiple Man's power too.  Being able to throw quadruple teams on the entire opposing team while your other four players cherry pick under your basket feels like a grey area.

Wouldn't that result in more then 5 players on the court? Bench tech?

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I was just thinking how hard it would be to regulate the game while allowing full powers or trouble some would have not breaking rules.

Folks like Flash, Superman, and Quicksilver would move too fast to confirm they weren't traveling and might destroy the ball trying to dribble at speed they were moving.

Reed Richards make sense as long as he understand how goaltending works. Joker wouldn't take the game seriously and folks like Carnage would get flagrant 2s because that's just who he is, hed be in the stands killing fans Malice in the Palace style.

This is fun, and no Professor X and Jean Grey should not be allow to read the coaches mind to game plan against them or make them call stupid ****.

Batman would be like Jordan making his teammates cry for not wanting it as bad as he does, hed straight Kwame Brown young Robin.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Still trying to figure out marvel Forwards, but would want Spiderman at PG, Deadpool at SG, and Juggernaut at C.

Captain America has to be on the team because he's the only that probably actually knows how to play basketball, but likely off the bench, clapping from the sidelines to encourage his teammates.

Easy way to regulate super-speed/super-strength...your heroes have to wear regular gear.

Flash can keep his handspeed, but if he overcooks it and shreds his sneakers...he’s out.

If Juggernaut lays the wood on Bruce Wayne and his bat headband ends up in the rafters...Juggernaut is out.

Its like back when young Shaq was bringing down backboards.  Gotta learn to temper your powers and play within the lines.

Anyway, my starting backcourt is Luke Cage and Iron Fist.  Assuming that IF can summon his chi into a 75% 3pt streak.  Cage projects to a Tim Hardway type with the strength of ten men.

BD967804-7C60-4EC6-BFA0-567A0455E2C3.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Captain America has to be on the team because he's the only that probably actually knows how to play basketball, but likely off the bench, clapping from the sidelines to encourage his teammates.

Cap is a pass first PG or point forward.  He'd be whipping outlets and half court transition bounce passes Magic Johnson style.  What are the rules about ricocheting the ball off of the walls and stanchion and ceiling and opponents' heads and stuff?  Goes without saying that he'd be the team captain too.  Make all of his teammates way better.  He could carry the Wizards to a championship.

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cap is a pass first PG or point forward.  He'd be whipping outlets and half court transition bounce passes Magic Johnson style.  What are the rules about ricocheting the ball off of the walls and stanchion and ceiling and opponents' heads and stuff?  Goes without saying that he'd be the team captain too.  Make all of his teammates way better.  He could carry the Wizards to a championship.

You've convinced me. Bouncing off wall should count as out of bounds, though : )

1 - Captain America

2 - Black Panther

3 - Luke Cage

4 - She-Hulk

5 - Juggernaut

Your team makes sense, just concerned they really small and just because they can shot guns doesn't mean they can shot the J.  My best friend is a Marine, grew up in South Norfolk, he's worse at basketball then I am.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Height_Scale

And I have to get this out before I dip, my All US Presidents team has:

1. Obama - only one who probaly know what he's doing

2. JFK - just shoot it...wait

3. Clinton - because Bubba deserves to be on this team

4. Andrew Jackson - bully enforcer

5. Lincoln - him and Obama lead me to having to make this post

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

If Reed Richards dunks while standing behind the three point line, is it 2 or 3 points?

I would say if he releases and doesn't touch rim it should be a three.  Your feet just have to be behind the line and he could do it without jumping.  Space Jame covered this scenario right?

Game breaking defensive weapon.  He could basically stand on the low block the entire game and just stretch his arms up court to full court press.  If you try and post up on him to protect the ball he can stretch a little finger around you to poke it away.  Set a screen by stretching his body laterally to cover the entire court.  Goaltending wouldn't really be an issue for him because you can't shoot over his hands.

Real trick play potential with him on offense too.  Not only can he play on the ball, he can play as the ball.  Lethal three man game hand off play where you have your point guard dribble Reed Richards into the paint to collapse the defense in the lane while your screener/shooter pulls the real ball out from behind his back and launches uncontested from three.  How do you stop it?

Exhibit A -

Fantastic+Four+38+Reed's+Stretchy+Body+1

B -

panel_ff28_1.jpg

C -

tumblr_inline_pipkz0oDTW1r3swmi_1280.jpg

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Your team makes sense, just concerned they really small and just because they can shot guns doesn't mean they can shot the J.  My best friend is a Marine, grew up in South Norfolk, he's worse at basketball then I am.

It's tempting to use the tanks like She-Huik and Juggernaut and Colossus and Thing because of their size and unstoppable power.  But the problem is I think they would foul at a Kevin Seraphin-like rate because they can't temper their strength.  It'd be real easy to take charges on them, so you've got to have a strong bench in order to cope with that.  A smaller finesse team of acrobatic superheroes like Spider-Man and Black Panther gives you a better chance to go deep into fourth quarters. 

Hawkeye's superhuman accuracy extends beyond his archery.  In Age of Ultron he demonstrates incredible accuracy at darts and in one of the early issues of his solo comic run from the 80's he fights a villain known as Oddball whose power was juggling a bizarre panoply of weaponized balls.  Hawkeye ends up getting a hold of some and knocking him out with them, demonstrating incredible accuracy with thrown objects.  I think he would have a wet jumper.  Ditto for Bullseye, who seems to be able to throw any object with lethal force and accuracy.

Domino and Longshot are a little different.  They have a mutant power that lets them manipulate the probabilities of things to make sure they always hit, no matter how improbable the shot.  They could basically cheat and just set the probability of hitting their full court shots to 100%.  As such, I would understand if they were disqualified from competition.  Same goes for Scarlet Witch due to her ability to manipulate reality as well.  Weird how many Marvel characters have this power...

I hear you about how marksmanship =/= basketball shooting ability.  That's why I picked those four and didn't pick characters like Black Widow, Winter Soldier, Punisher, Deadpool, Cable, etc. even though they demonstrate absolutely incredible marksmanship.

I still think Ant-Man is a great utility pick, especially if he gets to ride his flying ants.  Can grow giant for defense then get very small on offense when it's useful.  He could set a screen, shrink down to rim run through the teeth of the D then get big again to finish lobs.

Here's a sneaky great pick if we're allowing the use of villains: Taskmaster.  Just let him watch a bunch of film of Curry, Reggie, Bird, Steve Nash, Mark Price, Ray Allen, and Dirk.  Then have him watch Iverson, Jordan, Kobe, Elgin, Magic, Jamal Crawford, Chris Paul, Kareem, Olajuwon, Duncan, and McHale.  Boom, now he's the best shooter, ball handler, and post scorer in NBA history.

I'm sensing we need an offseason Marvel basketball draft.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Some of those heights are ridiculous.  Proudstar is 7'2?  He's a first round draft pick at that size.  Yondu is 7'1?  I didn't get the sense that he was that big at all.

Surtur and Ymir at 1000 feet tall are gamebreaking and would need to be banned from the league.  Definitely going to have to ban the celestials too, four miles tall is patently unfair.  I'd say we need an 8' height limit.  Probably need to ban size changers like Ant-Man and Fin Fang Foom under the circumstances since they can become hundreds of feet tall.

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Cap is from 1940. He would shoot like Larry bird but hit the back iron every time. That’s what happens when you don’t play for 75 years 

You saw him infiltrate that ship and beat Georges St Pierre's ass in Winter Soldier?  My guy is a peak athlete.  He'd give Westbrook and LeBron a run for their money as the best athlete in the league pound for pound.  He didn't come out of the ice rusty either--he puts that shield on the money every time, no matter the angle and he can put any kind of english on it to make it come back to him.  Unparalleled touch.  Combine the athleticism with the ball handling and leadership and he's #1/#1 material in a guard-centric league.

Also, being in his 90's he'd know the right way to play.  True master of the fundamentals.  Platonic ideal of old man game.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Haha 1