Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Was Looney the primary defender on Kawhi tonight?  It seemed like he was whenever he was on the floor.  

They were forcing switches with screens.  I think they were mostly trying to defend him with Klay or Iggy.

32 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

For your consideration.

That was a pretty egregious moving screen.  Screening on a handoff from a dribble should basically be an automatic moving screen call.  There is virtually no way to set a clean pick in that situation.  But Draymond wasn't even trying to hide the movement on that one.

I love the way Toronto and Milwaukee were built.  No soft defenders.  Not a single one at any spot in the rotation.  That is the way a championship caliber team should be built.  When you start compromising and trying to hide people for their offense, the whole thing eventually collapses.

This is why I've been harping on and on about defense in the Wizards thread, and begging for us to purge all of the soft ass ****ing no-D gunners from our team.  Losers don't play defense.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Raptors D is legit. Wish we knew what that was like in D.C.

Yeah man.  It's a product of culture and talent.  My man Brave has been arguing that Tommy Sheppard would be an OK GM hire on the basis that he's not Ernie Grunfeld because he embraces an empirical analytical approach to the game.  We agree on almost everything, but we diverge on this.  I like advanced metrics for basketball because of their ability to contextualize and sum up offensive and rebounding contributions.  But I've never gone whole hog on them because they're pretty bad at weighting the value of shot creation and they aren't very good at capturing individual defensive performance.  Defense is half the game.  That's half the game that basically goes unaccounted for, and it's why eyeballs on film scouting is always going to need to be the primary tool for player evaluation and projection.

Anyway, back to Sheppard, he's been a part of **** ass basketball culture in DC for 16 years, a span where we might have had one or two seasons total of playing pretty good defense.  Defense is why we always suck.  Defense is why you could put Bradley Beal on the Heat and they'd rocket up into 50+ win territory.  It's why putting Kawhi on the Raptors turned them into a contender.  It's the foundation for a winner.

When you've got such a drastic problem with it as we do, I think you have to start by making an ironclad commitment to not drafting, signing, or playing anyone who is a soft defender.  Good defensive culture is fragile.

One last thing about Kawhi dicking over the Spurs that I feel has gone unrecognized--it set a bad precedent.  The Spurs were the most visible player-friendly organization that successfully competed at the highest level of the league.  Teams will use the Spurs getting dicked over by Kawhi as an excuse to be ruthless with their players, and the player-team relationship will continue to deteriorate in ways that are bad for the league.  There have to be checks on this, and ways to incentivize healthy player-team collaboration.  Teams need to punish players for acting in bad faith with their teams, and players need to punish teams for doing the same.

The best way to have good relationships with players is to treat them like humans, not carney attraction that they can prop up and monetize their misery with no real intention of seriously competing.

Build an organization based on trust and communucation, and don'r sell your players out to the media.

Things like that go a long way towards players leaving to explore other opportunities.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The best way to have good relationships with players is to treat them like humans, not carney attraction that they can prop up and monetize their misery with no real intention of seriously competing. 

Build an organization based on trust and communucation, and don'r sell your players out to the media.

Things like that go a long way towards players leaving to explore other opportunities. 

There are a lot of teams in the NBA that don't play the meta-game, so to speak.  A lot of it is just stupidity and incompetence and rampant unprofessionalism in NBA front offices.  But a lot of it is self-aware.  Not giving a ****, using other teams' star players to market your games type of ****.

That's not mutually exclusive with taking care of your players though.  The Wizards take care of their players but they don't compete.  There is a way to do both.  But I think a little bit of fear in the relationship between player and team (going both ways) is productive.  You do need a solid relationship based on mutual good faith and the best organizations seem to take the lead and establish these relationships with their players.

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Delete “mobile.” before copying and pasting the link and it should embed.  Not sure why it doesn’t otherwise, but I had the same issue.  I fixed it for you.

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Raptors D is legit. Wish we knew what that was like in D.C.

They have Marc Gasol and Kawhi, both former defensive player of the year award winners.  Kyle Lowry and Danny Green are both very good on the defensive end.  Siakam is proving to be an extremely capable defender himself, he certainly has the outstanding physical tools.  Combine that talent with a good culture, a capable coach, and a ton of post season experience... and you’ve got a great defense.  

The wizards have absolutely none of that.  They’re bad defensively everywhere, Scott Brooks is an empty suit, and they have a culture of zero accountability.  You know it’s bad when Jeff Green is playing long stretches at center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

They have Marc Gasol and Kawhi, both former defensive player of the year award winners.  Kyle Lowry and Danny Green are both very good on the defensive end.  Siakam is proving to be an extremely capable defender himself, he certainly has the outstanding physical tools.  Combine that talent with a good culture, a capable coach, and a ton of post season experience... and you’ve got a great defense.   

Ibaka is also a hell of a defender and VanVleet and Anunoby are good too.  Even Norman Powell is strong and fast and he only gets so much PT so he plays hard.  He's real quality for an end of the rotation guy.

The Raptors slowly traded off their crap defenders like DeRozan and Terrence Ross and Cory Joseph.  Valanciunas wasn't bad, but he was a headcase who frequently got himself benched and he's certainly not the reliable anchor that Gasol is.  The net result is they've become vastly more experienced, confident, and consistent, and they've built a culture of playing reliably excellent defense.  They went from finishing 11th in DRtg in '15-'16 and '16-'17, to 5th the past two seasons.

Meanwhile the Wizards have one guy who I would call a good defensive player on the entire roster--Sato.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Weird bit of sports trivia.  Marc Gasol won defensive player of the year in 2013, outside of that season he’s somehow never made any all nba defensive teams.   

This shows how worthless those teams are.  They should be made up of centers.

• Like 1

Clips fined 50k cause Doc Rivers said that Kawhi is the closest thing to MJ?

WTFever, the NBA is a joke when it comes to a few things, this being one of them.  If Rivers wants to do some TV in the offseason and give his opinions and talk positively about players and make comparisons, hows that tampering?  How's that ANY worse than the NBA superstars that are all friendly with each other hanging out and planning to team up together?  

I'm not even sure why I'm annoyed by this.  I guess cause I clicked on the article half expecting to see Rivers say something like "Damn, I'd love to have him on the Clippers next year!" His comments were complimentary.  The NBA can be so damn stupid.

• Like 2