Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Leonard needs to find away to get other people involved in the offense earlier.  He does it all early, and now he's out of gas.  They need to run plays for other people and use Leonard as decoy some.

They also need to play better defense.

Also Raptors bench is caving again, like last year.  Sixers are generally considered to have a bad bench, but it has out scored the Raptors bench the last 2 games.  And their 6th man didn't has even been hurt (playing today, but a total nonfactor).

Basketball is the only game where I wonder how current players would stack up against stars from the past.  And yet it's the sport I'm the least into amongst baseball and football.  When I'm watching baseball, I never wonder if Mike Trout would have done well against Nolan Ryan or Steve Carlton.  I never wonder if Joe Montana would be a good qb today.

But watching Embiid, I can't help but wonder how he'd have done against Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Malone, Wilt, Russell, etc.  

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Basketball is the only game where I wonder how current players would stack up against stars from the past.  And yet it's the sport I'm the least into amongst baseball and football.  When I'm watching baseball, I never wonder if Mike Trout would have done well against Nolan Ryan or Steve Carlton.  I never wonder if Joe Montana would be a good qb today.

But watching Embiid, I can't help but wonder how he'd have done against Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Malone, Wilt, Russell, etc.  

At the moment, I'm fairly confident, they would all shut him down. He would test them with his range if his jumper is falling, but if his first move fails, he doesn't have counters in his game right now.

he needs to slim down some and add some counters in the post to take his game to the next level. it is pretty damn scary that his game still has more levels to go to

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

At the moment, I'm fairly confident, they would all shut him down. He would test them with his range if his jumper is falling, but if his first move fails, he doesn't have counters in his game right now.

he needs to slim down some and add some counters in the post to take his game to the next level. it is pretty damn scary that his game still has more levels to go to

The game was different then.  Conventional post-counters are essentially irrelevant today.  Skyhooks that were the staple of Hakeem's and Kareem's offense are not good post-offense today given the amount of lower body contact allowed.  It is hard to shoot a hook like that when somebody's got a forearm on your hip and is pushing you away from the basket.  Balance is key. 

Certainly, any 1st move is going to bring considerable (legal) lower body contact that's going to push the big off their spot that makes a 2nd move that much harder.  They've also changed the illegal defense rule.  Today, you got one move and then if you don't get rid of the ball you are surrounded by 3 people that are all pushing on your lower body.  Kevin McHale's offense would be useless today.

The only player that is playing in a comparable game to Embiid was Shaq and even Shaq played under the old illegal defense rules. that limited the ability to double and triple team him. 

Embiid's biggest problem in terms of post-offense is he's actually trying emulate those guys, and he doesn't pass (quick) enough when he can't get a quick/easy shot.  He turns the ball over too much or ends up taking a bad shot because he doesn't see double and triple teams coming that those guys never had to deal with.

Edited by PeterMP

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What are y'all gonna so with Beal. Lotta chatter about him potentially moving on

Depends on if he makes all-pro or not, he wouldn't turn down supermax anymore then Wall did.  The word on the street is he wants to come back, he'd essentially be taking over the face of the franchise with what's happened to Wall (they don't even really run ads with Wall in them anymore).

Wizards fans have their different opinions on what they want to do, but I see our owner is obsessed with having one big 3 to the next one, so he's not going to want to let Beal go, imo.

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Time for Ujiri to jump ship and take over the Wizards.

Even after seeing him build one team collapse in the playoffs after the other?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Time for Ujiri to jump ship and take over the Wizards.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Depends on if he makes all-pro or not, he wouldn't turn down supermax anymore then Wall did.  The word on the street is he wants to come back, he'd essentially be taking over the face of the franchise with what's happened to Wall (they don't even really run ads with Wall in them anymore).

Wizards fans have their different opinions on what they want to do, but I see our owner is obsessed with having one big 3 to the next one, so he's not going to want to let Beal go, imo.

Even after seeing him build one team collapse in the playoffs after the other?

Exactly what I was saying, if he couldn't build a winner in Toronto what makes you think he would build a championship team here. Would the Wizards finally break that "Not going to the ECF since 1979" curse??? 

1979, people. 🤣 That is 4 decades. 1980's, 1990's, 2000's, 2010's, 

Edited by ixcuincle

30 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I put that more on Lowry's competition anxiety

One player?  Most of the team acts like him sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Y’all acting like y’all are more successful than the raptors now?

Beggars can’t be picky 

I don't want just any culture here just because ours was so bad.  I prefer the rumor of the Pacers gm, see what they did without their best player.