Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

seven years of firsts?  That's an eternity.  Houston's current core of players could be dead and gone by the time those picks convey.

Is it 4 or 7 now?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

lol the Rockets really want to win this season. 

Desperate thinking they can't wait you out what it looks like.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Is it 4 or 7 now?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25083858/houston-rockets-offer-wolves-four-first-round-draft-picks-jimmy-butler

The Rockets' offer constitutes the maximum number of first-round picks allowable in a deal, factoring in league rules that necessitate no first-rounders can be conveyed in successive years, and no pick can be traded farther out than seven seasons.

So if they can’t be in successive years I guess it would be 1st round picks 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  Four first round picks spread out over seven years.  

• Like 1

MN is though most likely stuck too.  They aren't winning a championship with him this year most likely, and it is hard to believe after all of this he's going to stay so they should absolutely take the best deal they can.

If that's the Houston deal, then that's it.

This also is going to depend on how much faith they have in KAT and Wiggins.  If you have a lot of faith in KAT and Wiggins being your big 2, then you just need to add some more pieces.

Lastly, especially the 4th year, I could see that being a pretty high pick and even maybe very high.  Paul is clearly in decline.  I strongly suspect, especially when taking into account his contract, he'll have a negative value in 3 years.  Butler might walk from Houston at the end of the season (and I don't think he's as good as most people here do and think he's in decline too so even if he does resign with them, I think he'll be a negative player given the contract in 3 years).

**EDIT**

With 2 year spacing, it is highly likely at least some of the 4 will be high picks.  If you are MN, you have to weigh your other options, but not trading Butler makes no sense for them.  They should have already sent him out.  But to me, if there are not protections on those picks, that's a pretty interesting deal.  In 7 years, Paul, Harden, and Butler are all going to be gone or not very good.  For Houston to re-load into a good team w/o number 1st round picks will be essentially be impossible ensuring you are getting some nice high picks.

Edited by PeterMP

1 hour ago, Destino said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25083858/houston-rockets-offer-wolves-four-first-round-draft-picks-jimmy-butler

So if they can’t be in successive years I guess it would be 1st round picks 2019, 2021, 2023, and 2025.  Four first round picks spread out over seven years.  

Considering their two best players weren't drafted by them and then got Melo, that to me is not as bad as it sounds.  True it could be a different team in 7 years, but they have proven they can get their stars by other means of late.  If the think that's the only way to take down the Warriors, fine, there's no promises in sports (ask the Nats).  If they do suck at any point in hat period one of those picks will be a lottery, sometimes all you need is one to get others to want to play with.

Edited by Renegade7

I'd take the Houston deal assuming the contract ballast are good players like Gordon and change.

Butler needs to go ASAP.  That many picks... that can be game changing.  Like four years from now James Harden is gone, CP3 is retired, and we're talking about potential early lotto choices.  Who knows what would be coming back to Minnesota by that point?

KAT is special.  He's 22.  He's signed long term.  Wiggins is not special, nor even particularly good.  But you've got a ton of time with KAT.  Like ten years.  Hell you could absolutely start fireselling, dump Thibs, and tank this year.  Get a worthy second player to pair with KAT and then you've got assloads of first rounders headed your way to keep your team stocked with cheap quality.  You could be the Jazz in a few seasons.  Ready to get good when Golden State is finally old.

Weighing this from Houston's end, you've got to put protections on those late picks to make it worth it.  Otherwise this is a pretty big gamble.

I don't make the trade unless I get assurances from Butler that he'll sign an extension, or at the very least, opt into his final year.

If he does give me assurance of an extension, then I pull the trigger on the deal, especially if I can offload a crappy contract in the process.  If I can send Knight out, I'm not sure I even push for protections on the years 5 and 7 picks...

I probably still would though.

Big picture, getting Butler and signing him long term means I've finally got a second All NBA type player to pair with Harden long term who is the same age as him.  This is my tandem for when Chris Paul gets old and is no longer a star.

Butler can't shoot, but he fits into Houston's offense as a moderate to high usage shot creator who lives at the FT line.

Short term, he's a massive upgrade over Ariza and Mbah a Moute, and would help Houston get back to the level they played at last season.

This is a deal that just needs to get done.  It benefits both sides.

It's also the only chance we've got for some real intrigue this season.  They'd still lose to the Warriors, but it would be close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

JaVale MacGee looks like a legit nba center.  I’ve definately fallen into an alternate reality.  The whole Trump being president thing made me suspicious, but this confirms it.  

Dude had talent, him settling down late in his career doesn't surprise me.  Someone who didn't tolerate that clown mess would've whipped him shape far earlier, don't know about Blatche though, I hated that guy toward the end.

I still wouldn’t take that deal. If I am trading Butler I’m trying to get a young asset or a lottery pick at least. 

Houston is a top level franchise and Morey is a top GM. They aren’t going to be bad even if this current team is no longer around 

this is completely different from the Celtics/Nets trade years ago because the nets were going to suck and Boston was going to get an awesome embarrassing amount of high picks from it 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Good point. That squad wont be giving you top round picks. But think what you could do with your bench in 5 years with that kinda talent. All you need at that point is FA that fit your top 2 players from that point. 

Hit on a few of those guys and you could look like GS in half a decade. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I still wouldn’t take that deal. If I am trading Butler I’m trying to get a young asset or a lottery pick at least. 

Houston is a top level franchise and Morey is a top GM. They aren’t going to be bad even if this current team is no longer around 

this is completely different from the Celtics/Nets trade years ago because the nets were going to suck and Boston was going to get an awesome embarrassing amount of high picks from it 

Houston is almost certainly going to end up being bad for a period of time towards the end of this era.  The Paul contract is going to turn into an albatross.

There does have to be the fear that they will time the year they are bad so it is a year they have the pick, and they will get a Lebron like player (or even what Miami did when they got Wade) that allows them to only be a lottery team essentially one year.

But even then, you are likely to get a useful player or 2.

Edited by PeterMP

If I were Houston I would probably just accept that their one in a million chance of getting Cooper through that black hole and back to Murph came and went when CP3 went down last year.

When Boogie gets back, it'll be like when people thought it was all over after Majin Buu was separated. Just pure evil, hibernating in the ether.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wiggins is not special, nor even particularly good.

Wiggins is an interesting guy.  He's actually a good catch and shoot shooter.  He's superb as a slasher.  He's very good in the post.  But he's bad as a perimeter ball handler, especially in pick and roll situations.  Yet MN keeps giving him the ball and putting him pick and roll situations.  It is like MN wants to lose games and make Wiggins look bad doing it.  I guess you can argue that they are working on him developing that part of his game so he's better in the future.

He's a good on the ball defender, but awful off of it.

If he'd get better as an off the ball defender and go to a team that used him right on offense, he'd be a very good player.  I'm not sure how well he'll ever pair with KAT, but he'd pair very well with a guy like Wall, especially if he'd improve his off the ball defense.

Edited by PeterMP

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If I were Houston I would probably just accept that their one in a million chance of getting Cooper through that black hole and back to Murph came and went when CP3 went down last year.

When Boogie gets back, it'll be like when people thought it was all over after Majin Buu was separated. Just pure evil, hibernating in the ether.

I respect them not just accepting that as some other franchises have.

LeBron James has stated that he would like to own an NBA and NFL franchise in the future. 

I know the Cavs were his childhood team in the NBA...the Cowboys are his NFL team. 

Oh and the Lakers are winning without 2 key players. Isn't Ball among the top shooters from 3 so far this season ? 

McGee just needed gold in his uniform. 

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

LeBron James has stated that he would like to own an NBA and NFL franchise in the future. 

I know the Cavs were his childhood team in the NBA...the Cowboys are his NFL team. 

Oh, he'll get the Cavs, but I never see him coming up with enough money to buy the Cowboys.  Browns maybe?

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

McGee just needed gold in his uniform. 

He just needed to get out of DC, our culture was never going t maximize his talents, especially at that point where we were

mozEvul2y8aV2qc1Mxm3cLQ.jpg

• Sad 1