Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I dare anyone to come in here with a straight face and talk about how NBA has never really had parity.  What the hell is this exactly?

I'm not sure how one can argue the NBA isn't the least compelling of the four major professional leagues at this point. The playoffs have become a Broadway production with the same ending and cast of characters shuffled slightly each year.

The parity situation has quite literally never been this dire, as we've never had the same exact finals four years in a row. One dominant team is OK as long as other teams take turns trying to take out the villain. The league has two villains now and no legitimate heroes to save it from itself. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

But they added an MVP to a 73 win team.  That is not 15 unlikely things happening in a row, that is one single unacceptable event and cannot be allowed to happen again.

But the only reason they could even do that was because of a host of unlikely events that occurred prior to that. One was Curry being plagued by ankle injuries and signing a dirt cheap contract before getting fully healthy and rolling off back to back MVP seasons and 73 wins. If Curry's last ankle injury hadn't happened, there would be no Durant in GS. It's not an exploitation when it took a near miracle and extreme amount of luck of events over a 5year period for that to happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The only reason we can’t immrdi pencil in a re-re-re-re-rematch is because we don’t know where Lebron will play. 

99% chance it’s in the east do he won’t have to go through GS to get to the finals.  Wherever he lands, it’s likely them vs. GS again next year.

Absolutely.  LeBron is soft as Charmin, he will be looking for the easiest path to the finals.  It's why he chose Miami, and then chose to go back to Cleveland.  He would prefer to stay in the east.

Bron wanted no parts of the Spurs or the Thunder back then, and he wants no parts of GS or Houston now.  #sawff

31 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

But the only reason they could even do that was because of a host of unlikely events that occurred prior to that. One was Curry being plagued by ankle injuries and signing a dirt cheap contract before getting fully healthy and rolling off back to back MVP seasons and 73 wins. If Curry's last ankle injury hadn't happened, there would be no Durant in GS. It's not an exploitation when it took a near miracle and extreme amount of luck of events over a 5year period for that to happen. 

Stop making excuses for this nonsense, it does NOT matter how that team was built up to the point KD showed up. 

The point is they added an MVP to a 73 win team, and if nothing is done, something like that will happen again, there is literally no way for teams to retain their stars and prevent them from joining damn near dominant teams that would them make them pretty much impossible to beat.  Didn't the Healtes each do less then max to make that work?  Durant came to GS for less then Max and now Klay is talking about it doing that, too, in order to stay.  Maybe you can better explain to me what I'm seeing here from a salary cap perspective, because what it looks like to me is they are gaming that, too (Curry is making $34 Million this year):

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/2016/

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/cap/

Also, what do we do in the meantime as KD is there and likely going to re-sign now?  If I'm Silver, I don't let him do it, invent a clause if you have to.  This Finals is completely non-competitive, saying the games have been closer then expected is admitting people weren't expecting them to be close.   Warriors aren't even hitting on all cylinders and its still 3-0, this is not close at all.  This is not greatness in the making, its a broken system that we all saw coming the day KD made his announcement.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Y'all sitting here whining and complaining... if y'all really didn't like it, you would just stop watching it altogether. lol

Exactly. 

But on top of that... punish players and teams that have players signing for discounts? 

Guess we all don't get mad when players leave for bigger contracts, huh?

Maybe..just maybe the locker room culture at GS is that different from 28-29 other cities. There has only been 10 dozen or so articles about it and how different they are (the locker room) compared to other places. Maybe that (and winning) makes up for the loss of max contracts. Maybe it's not always about the $$$. Nah.. they're just selfish. ?

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Y'all sitting here whining and complaining... if y'all really didn't like it, you would just stop watching it altogether. lol

That's BS, I love basketball more then I love this nonsense and I did boycott the first two games, though watched this one because there won't be NBA for a while. 

As a Wizards fan, how you gonna talk about "liking it" or people should stop watching?  Do you care about our or anyone else's odds of getting a ring as long as that core is together like that?  Saying something like that is telling me if I don't like some of the stuff the country does I can leave.  

I don't hate the NBA, I hate to total lack of parity and its gotten worse, not better.  Saying nothing should be done, is what it is, is a cop out for Fans that don't have a favorite team or don't care that their favorite team has no chance to get a ring no matter what they do.  I'm neither, you can't tell us all to leave, that would decimate the NBA.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Exactly. 

But on top of that... punish players and teams that have players signing for discounts? 

Guess we all don't get mad when players leave for bigger contracts, huh?

Maybe..just maybe the locker room culture at GS is that different from 28-29 other cities. There has only been 10 dozen or so articles about it and how different they are (the locker room) compared to other places. Maybe that (and winning) makes up for the loss of max contracts. Maybe it's not always about the $$$. Nah.. they're just selfish. ?

US Government has a method for preventing Monopolies via Anti-Trust laws and review every major merger attempt to decide what affect it will have on the overall market and customer base.  It's done to protect the country and the people in it. 

NBA needs to be able to do the same thing, Silver should have the option with a panel to decide if a move is going to destroy the competitive balance of the NBA.  This isn't about picking on the Warriors, I don't mind players signing for less then Max even if they deserve it.  There should be a Minimum contract with rules similar to Max contracts and the NBA should be allowed to look at Free Agent moves like the KD to GS move and say "no, this is going to do more harm then good".   I'm not sure how I feel about what Ainge did to get all those draft picks, I'm more concerned with teams not being able to keep their stars, or worse stars going to already great teams to make them unbeatable.  This is going to catch up to them if they don't get ahead of it.

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How fair is it that the Wizards finally get a #1 pick and it's Kwame Brown? Not Kenyon Martin (the year before) or Yao Ming (the year after) or even LeBron (2 years after)? It's unfair. Things should be done to rectify that.

Stop changing the subject, that is not the same thing, and you know it.  This isn't about bailing out anyone for being stupid or unlucky.  This is about addressing the parity issue, this has gone too far.

I don't like the Commish getting involved in things like this. A team shouldn't be punished because they built the right way and became a destination location.

Other teams just need to be smarter. There is a huge difference between quality FOs and idiot FOs in the NBA.

I'd rather they punish teams who choose to deliberately lose to get high picks...like Cleveland did the year of LBJ. Or like the Sixers did the past 10 years. 

If stars want to earn less to play on good teams...so be it. It's their job and they can choose to earn less to be happy. 

Edit..and if KD wants to opt out this summer and go play somewhere else (come home to the Wiz) and earn a max deal, good for and gl to him. 

11 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Golden State is not a monopoly.

Every NBA team had a chance to sign Durant that summer.

Stop being mad.

And he picked the one with 73 wins.  I'm sorry you don't care if anyone else can compete with that, but I do.

Nobody cares if AT&T wanted to merge with Tracphone, AT&T and Time Warner merger would have such a huge impact that that's why its still being debated right now, not that because they would be the only cable provider period.  You're missing my point on the "what's best for the economy/NBA" thing.

You really going to say every team had a chance to sign KD and he didn't even return Ernie's calls that offseason? <_<

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't like the Commish getting involved in things like this. A team shouldn't be punished because they built the right way and became a destination location.

Other teams just need to be smarter. There is a huge difference between quality FOs and idiot FOs in the NBA.

I don't like it either, but what "smart" move can be made right now to match what GS has just done?  I'm not putting Silver getting involved as a first resort, more like a last one for the good of the league.

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'd rather they punish teams who choose to deliberately lose to get high picks...like Cleveland did the year of LBJ. Or like the Sixers did the past 10 years. 

I agree that that shouldn't be ignored, made a thread about it, too, that devolved into "it can work" instead of "should we be allowing that", which was the point of the thread.

Edited by Renegade7

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

And he picked the one with 73 wins.  I'm sorry you don't care if anyone else can compete with that, but I do.

Nobody cares if AT&T wanted to merge with Tracphone, AT&T and Time Warner merger would have such a huge impact that that's why its still being debated right now, not that because they would be the only cable provider period.  You're missing my point on the "what's best for the economy/NBA" thing.

You really going to say every team had a chance to sign KD and he didn't even return Ernie's calls that offseason? <_<

by the rules, every team had a chance to sign KD that offseason. He chose Golden State. It would be something completely different if only Golden State was permitted to sign Durant.

You are very mad.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's BS, I love basketball more then I love this nonsense and I did boycott the first two games, though watched this one because there won't be NBA for a while. 

As a Wizards fan, how you gonna talk about "liking it" or people should stop watching?  Do you care about our or anyone else's odds of getting a ring as long as that core is together like that?  Saying something like that is telling me if I don't like some of the stuff the country does I can leave.  

I don't hate the NBA, I hate to total lack of parity and its gotten worse, not better.  Saying nothing should be done, is what it is, is a cop out for Fans that don't have a favorite team or don't care that their favorite team has no chance to get a ring no matter what they do.  I'm neither, you can't tell us all to leave, that would decimate the NBA.

You can't leave because they have you... Short of LeBron joining a league in Europe (Which someone from ESPN said he'd consider Smh...) you're going to have to watch the NBA.

As far as the Wizards, their partially to blame for all of this. They had a team that KD could have came to and won with in his own backyard, and they didn't even get a damn visit. If KD joined the Warriors or any other team, it would have no impact on the Wizards because the organization isn't anywhere near championship contention.

I like good basketball. It's June, I don't have anything else to watch. Why not watch 3 of the top basketball players in the world do what they do best?

Plus Kevin Love was getting his man; Jordan Bell was making clutch plays, Draymond and Trsitan Thompson almost started wrecking... And it was actually a close game. I liked it.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

it sucks when you already know what's going to happen before it happens.

You musty hate watching TV and Movies then... I always know what's going to happen, for me it's the how. I knew a bunch of bammas would die in Infinity War... I watched because I wanted to know how it happened.

Sure, it does suck that the Warriors are that good. I want to see the Wizards ball like this... They had their chance. If they played better, they could be playing against the Warriors, and probably giving the Warriors a run for their money too... It didn't happen though and I've accepted that.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

by the rules, every team had a chance to sign KD that offseason. He chose Golden State. It would be something completely different if only Golden State was permitted to sign Durant.

You are very mad.

I'm very frustrated and calculating what to do, there's a difference.  I am not a fan of not liking something and just taking it, not my m.o.

KD merging with GS has created an noncompetitive, unbalanced scenario in the NBA right now.  By rule he could've gone anywahere, by rule you also have to make the cap make sense, by logic, his agent has to even want to have a conversation with you.  His list of teams was never 30, stop throwing that out there like it was. 

Like he went there for the weather, no, he went there because it was best chance for him to get a ring after realizing he couldn't do it in OKC.  

At least LeBron has his playoffs dunk video two years in a row. And his max contract. 

Anyone know if Steph was sick yesterday? He went to the locker room early at the end of a quarter...no one locally seems to be talking about it and he looked off all game.

3 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

You musty hate watching TV and Movies then... I always know what's going to happen, for me it's the how. I knew a bunch of bammas would die in Infinity War... I watched because I wanted to know how it happened.

But I don't care about how they do it.  I'm not alone, but to each their own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Whether he's mad or not is irrelevant to the point that this current version of the GSW makes the NBA a snoozefest.  I don't think there is anything they can or should do to stop it, but facts are facts - it sucks when you already know what's going to happen before it happens.

Hang on.

The Rockets went up 3-2 on the Warriors and people think they would have won were Chris Paul not injured. (I don't but it happened)

That was 2 weeks ago. Now it is a snooze fest.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

You can't leave because they have you... Short of LeBron joining a league in Europe (Which someone from ESPN said he'd consider Smh...) you're going to have to watch the NBA.

As far as the Wizards, their partially to blame for all of this. They had a team that KD could have came to and won with in his own backyard, and they didn't even get a damn visit. If KD joined the Warriors or any other team, it would have no impact on the Wizards because the organization isn't anywhere near championship contention.

I like good basketball. It's June, I don't have anything else to watch. Why not watch 3 of the top basketball players in the world do what they do best?

Plus Kevin Love was getting his man; Jordan Bell was making clutch plays, Draymond and Trsitan Thompson almost started wrecking... And it was actually a close game. I liked it.

Sure, it does suck that the Warriors are that good. I want to see the Wizards ball like this... They had their chance. If they played better, they could be playing against the Warriors, and probably giving the Warriors a run for their money too... It didn't happen though and I've accepted that.

No, I don't have to watch the NBA.  I was just fine watching the Caps and Nationals the other day instead, reading, going outside, etc. 

Not watching the NBA by myself wont' help, I'm not sure a boycott is the right way to go yet.  Comparing TV/Movies to Sports is out of place, I watch sports because I like to believe I DON'T know what's going to happen, I do not find it entertaining knowing the Cavs are going to get swept, it doesn't matter to me how it happens.  And if you watch something like Westworld or GOT, no, you don't always know what's going to happen from one episode to the next.  I watch documentaries because I want to learn something I don't already know.

I understand you decision to accept the Wizards don't stand a chance.  I prefer to go down swinging as I know even if they suddenly turn it around, that won't matter and its not right.

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Hang on.

The Rockets went up 3-2 on the Warriors and people think they would have won were Chris Paul not injured. (I don't but it happened)

That was 2 weeks ago. Now it is a snooze fest.

It's a valid point, but Iggy was out game 6 and 7.  We can "what if" all day if we wanted to, but that's not what happened.