Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The last lockout was basically an attempt for the owners to save themselves from themselves.

Despite that, a lot of these teams put themselves in their ****ty cap situation now by handing out ridiculous contracts a few seasons ago. Cap space just burned a hole in their pocket like a kid in a candy store with his allowance. 

I hate the we try to fix things in the NBA because some people are truly awful at navigating the current rules and structures. 

It's not up to the league to change their rules and hurt smart teams just because a bunch of dumbasses don't know what they are doing. 

The Celtics stockpiled draft picks by fleecing a team that wanted well known veterans fresh off championship runs. They kept a steady stream of young talent and assets until there was an opening and they traded for a top 10 player in Kyrie. Now people are upset that they are going to be good for awhile. What do you you all expect?

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

CP3 had a bad series before the injury. I know no one wants to admit that, but the numbers are there.

CP3 is obviously a better player than Iggy, but not having Iggy killed hte Warriors depth and messed up their rotation. I don't think its crazy at all.

The numbers don't tell the story.  That team is built around over dribbling and without a second player that can do that, Houston was reduced to jacking up contested threes with very little else in the second half when Harden started to run out of energy. 

Again, we have plenty of evidence in the NFL that a hard cap doesn't bring parity.  If you introduce a hard cap, that makes coaching, management, and one or two key players the key.  There's nothing a hard cap does to prevent those things.  The hard cap benefits the teams with the best management in terms of identifying cost effective players that fit their scheme, coaching them up, and plugging them in, while retaining a few key players that are key to the scheme.

And baseball with essentially no cap (the luxury tax acts sort of as a cap) has no issues with not having parity.

The key to encouraging parity in the NBA is not to introduce a hard cap, but to do things that would limit the value of individual players (which is very hard to do without completely changing the game).

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

The numbers don't tell the story.  That team is built around over dribbling and without a second player that can do that, Houston was reduced to jacking up contested threes with very little else in the second half when Harden started to run out of energy. 

And if Iggy plays Klay doesn’t pick up 3 fouls in the first quarter. We could do this all day. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Destino said:

I don't even know how you say he was having a bad series.  Of the people that played any real minutes for the Rockets, he was only behind Capela and Brown in offensive rating.  And clearly has a more significant role in the offense than Brown and Capela who don't really generate offense for other people.  And his defensive rating was better than everybody, but Capela.  They certainly lose game 5 without him.

And clearly he was better than the likes of Ryan Anderson.  Feeling like they had to play Ryan Anderson killed the Rockets last night.

Edited by PeterMP

Golden State probably has the biggest margin of error of any good team ever.

Houston - frankly - has a huge margin of error too. Missing 27 straight 3 pointers pretty much eliminated it.

The fact they could miss that many shots and not lose by 30 is sort of remarkable in and of itself.

My middle daughter doesn't watch a lot of basketball and didn't understand what was happening, and I had no explanation.

• Haha 1

Troll level on high.. And I don't give a puck.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/warriors-win-rockets-nba-ratings-tnt-finals-cavaliers-stanley-cup-knights-1202398890/

The Stanley Cup Finals hit the ice for Game 1 between newbies the Vegas Golden Knights and the Washington Capitals in Sin City on NBC, but the real sports showdown last night was on TNT in Game 7 of the NBA playoffs’ Western Conference Finals.

Edited by CRobi21

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

And if Iggy plays Klay doesn’t pick up 3 fouls in the first quarter. We could do this all day. 

Losing Durant and Klay Thompson would not be the same as Houston losing PJ Tucker or Trevor Ariza would it?  It's not about stats but what the team is able to do after the injury.  What plays they can still run.  The Warriors with only Curry as a main offensive threat would be much more limited in what they could run effectively and what option they had in big moments.  That's what happened to Houston.  They're a two star team built around two guys handling the ball and creating everything for everyone.  They lost half of what made their offense go.

Houston was absolutely screwed the moment CP3 was injured and everyone on the planet knew it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Destino said:

Houston was absolutely screwed the moment CP3 was injured and everyone on the planet knew it. 

Literally, and when I say literally, I literally mean literally... the truest thing I've seen on here. lol

We all knew it. Even the people that denied it, even they knew it was over...

I hope the Warriors sweep these bammas and get it over with. I'm ready for that LeBron to LA hype train this summer. lol

4 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I swear to Christ, haven't we spent the last two years ****ing about how terrible the NFL is? It's ratings are in free-fall. The games take six hours. The games are unwatchable until October because there is no training camp. The games are unwatchable after October, because everyone is hurt. No one knows what a catch is. No one has a home-filed advantage any longer, because of the secondary ticket market. And New England goes to the Super Bowl every year.

And despite all of that, people would die without it. I have been watching less and less of it every year since 2012. This year I'm not sure I will watch a single non Redskins game. Still has a strong grip on others

33 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And despite all of that, people would die without it. I have been watching less and less of it every year since 2012. This year I'm not sure I will watch a single non Redskins game. Still has a strong grip on others

You ever try to watch a short video and end up having to watch a much longer ad before you can see what you clicked on?  That's what watching the NFL feels like.  It's a giant ad delivery vehicle with a little bit of football sprinkled in to keep you from leaving... and that football part is largely replays, stupid penalties, and shots of guys just standing on the sidelines.  

I never miss a skins game but I have to watch them with a tablet now if I'm not at the stadium.  I just look up when they actually run a play and otherwise find other things to watch or read.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I mean, 40 of the top 50 largest TV audiences for sports were still the NFL in 2017.   All those folks fleeing in droves barely make a dent cuz the NFL is playing with such a big lead. 

4 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It's not up to the league to change their rules and hurt smart teams just because a bunch of dumbasses don't know what they are doing. 

The Celtics stockpiled draft picks by fleecing a team that wanted well known veterans fresh off championship runs. They kept a steady stream of young talent and assets until there was an opening and they traded for a top 10 player in Kyrie. Now people are upset that they are going to be good for awhile. What do you you all expect?

I concur 100%.  They managed their team masterfully.  

Even GS drafted well, which allowed them to grab a big free agent.  

I gave up trying to understand how the salary rules only seem to apply to half the league.  Additionally, it's too easy for guys to sign wherever they want because the money is so big, that 5 mill difference in offers is nothing when its 25 or 20 mill.  It takes away smaller non popular teams ability to sign the FAs they need to be competitive.  So they have to rely on drafts, which in turns means they have to tank on purpose for years.

Or just accept that you are the Wizards.  Just good enough to not be able to get better, and not good enough to ever win it.  yay.

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Or just accept that you are the Wizards.  Just good enough to not be able to get better, and not good enough to ever win it.  yay.

The Wizards could be competing for finals appearances in the East had they managed the team better. The rules and big market or dynasty teams haven't stopped them. Their own incompetence did

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The NFL has a great product, let's not kid ourselves.  They are king and it's because they do a better job managing and presenting their game than anyone else.

Is this your new hill to die on?

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Houston's entire sense of being is running a pick and roll on every single possession from different angles with different approaches. Running Harden and Ariza 50 times is not the same.

Still, if they go, like, 3-27 we might be having a different conversation.

I like Houston, but I don't live and die with them. I still had to leave the room in the 4th quarter, because I couldn't take it any longer. My soul died a little on each miss.

17 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The Wizards could be competing for finals appearances in the East had they managed the team better. The rules and big market or dynasty teams haven't stopped them. Their own incompetence did

That's what I keep trying to tell people.  Our backcourt is absolutely legit, our frontcourt is an absolute joke.  Forget the fact Scott wet dreams about ISO offenses, he doesn't have the horses to run that race anyway.

But however made the point about NBA salaries really trapping bad team into staying bad is spot on.  I hate the way NBA contracts work, I'll never forget Blatche basically not wanting to play then the next game starting.  The Amnesty was a godsend, is that gone now?  If we could amnesty Ian and dangle Gortat as an expiring contract, we might actually stand a chance in terms of being to make a signifcant move this offseason. 

As is, we're trapped be decisions we made a while ago and can't get out of for a while.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

The Amnesty was a godsend, is that gone now?

I believe that was a one-time per team item negotiated in the last CBA, again, because owners couldn’t be trusted with salary cap space and free agents the last time. They all got their amnesties in and immediately handed out even worse contracts again. 

In the NBA you have to be a well run, smart organization. In the NFL gives you more opportunities to be lucky with bigger draft, and if you sign a bad contract you can get out of it since they aren't guaranteed. But basketball at its core is the most individualistic sport(as in, one individual has a bigger impact than any other sport)and as such, its tough to really maintain true parody and competitiveness because if one team has 2-3 of the 20 best players, they're a lock to win titles. The NBA has always been dominated by dynasties save for the occasional odd year, but the same exact Finals matchup four years running just makes for a stale and boring product.

6 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

My middle daughter doesn't watch a lot of basketball and didn't understand what was happening, and I had no explanation.

I know the feeling...Kids are the best...

"You see that yellow line?  They get four chances to cross it.  When they do, they get another one.  Then another then another until they get into the endzone.  That's a touchdown."

"How come the Redskins never cross the yellow line?"

"No idea, I've been trying to figure that out longer then you been alive, kid."

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I believe that was a one-time per team item negotiated in the last CBA, again, because owners couldn’t be trusted with salary cap space and free agents the last time. They all got their amnesties in and immediately handed out even worse contracts again. 

Why are there fully guaranteed contracts anyway?  It's like players got teams by the balls now, what happened?