Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

In a league that has like only 8 teams that have ever won it all, were they ever a time where there were loaded conferences?

That's a poor argument against a player's accomplishments IMO

Unless it was the 70s, where everyone was ****ed up on coke. I half count those titles lol (jk)

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 1

Pacers were loaded?

Late 90s

The Davis Brothers (not really)

Miller

Mark Jackson

Chris Mullin

Jalen Rose

Solid bench

Mid-90s

Heat were a strong team led by Alonzo Mourning.

Knicks were good most of the 90s with an in his prime Ewing and a hall of fame coach (part of the time)

Because the league is more talented.

In the West, but we are talking about the teams LeBron has to go through. The east has been terrible.

Didn't Danny Ainge once waive his rings in Barkley's face and scream at him about being hungover for a game? "That's why you'll never have one of these?"

(By the way, at the height of Bo Jackson mania, I decided that two sport stars were going to be all the rage and attempted to corner the market on Danny Ainge rookie baseball cards. Out of curiosity, does anyone want 50 Danny Ainge rookie Blue Jay cards?)

I'll trade them for all the Gary sheffield cards I collected when he made his run at the triple crown.

In a league that has like only 8 teams that have ever won it all, were they ever a time where there were loaded conferences?

Yes. The 00's West was and still is loaded. Same thing could be said with the 80's East.

Sixers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Hawks. The 90's East was okay too, but the Bulls dominated so much, it's kind of hard to really take them serious. 

It wasn't that the east wasn't good. It was that the Bulls just happened to have the best player on a good team. This is the NBA. The team with the best player usually wins. It's that simple. When Hakeem was the best, they won.

Edited by DM72
  • Like 1

Plenty of talent in the East, although there is plenty of bad coaching and egos.

Exactly.  The problem is not that the East is not talented from a historical perspective.   It is that the talent level of the entire NBA  has gone way up, and most of that talent is in the West right now.  The West is utterly stacked.   But even then, there is zero place for an Uwe Blab or a Acie Earl or whoever on a modern NBA team, even in the East.  

Bottom line - 90s-early 00s basketball sucked azz.    We are in the second golden age of NBA basketball.  Only the 80s can compare, and even then the Association was nowhere near as deep.  The top 4 or so teams had all the talent, so there were great rivalries, but for most of the teams, the season was over before it began.    

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

Exactly.  The problem is not that the East is not talented from a historical perspective.   It is that the talent level has gone way up, and most of that talent is in the West right now.  The West is utterly stacked.   But even then, there is zero place for an Uwe Blab or a Acie Earl or whoever on a modern NBA team, even in the East.  

Bottom line - 90s-early 00s basketball sucked azz.    We are in the second golden age of NBA basketball.  Only the 80s can compare, and even then the Association was nowhere near as deep.  The top 4 or so teams had all the talent, so there were great rivalries, but for most of the teams, the season was over before it began.    

But Michael Jordan..... That guy was pretty good

tumblr_lr4bn4Bfz51qizvnso1_500.gif

It wasn't that the east wasn't good. It was that the Bulls just happened to have the best player on a good team. This is the NBA. The team with the best player usually wins. It's that simple. When Hakeem was the best, they won.

The East was okay if you liked ugly basketball.

Any game involving the Knicks, Heat, or Pacers was largely unwatchable.

But Michael Jordan..... That guy was pretty good

Michael Jordan was awesome.   The best and most complete basketball player ever.  

I can know that and still be certain that the NBA was weaker when he played.   Because it was.  

Yes. The 00's West was and still is loaded. Same thing could be said with the 80's East.

Sixers, Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Hawks. The 90's East was okay too, but the Bulls dominated so much, it's kind of hard to really take them serious. 

But couldn't the same argument be made in the East the past 4-5 years?  The main competition the Heat had in the playoffs during the LeBron era was the Celtics (2011-12) and the Pacers (2011-12 and 2012-13).  

The Bulls get an honorable mention considering the Heat slammed them in 2010-2011 to make it to their first NBA finals w/King James.  But Rose got hurt in 2011 and in 2012 and 2013.  

Not to discredit the Heat and all they accomplished, cause they were the elite team in the East and won two championships.  Not saying that LeBron is not in discussion right now for #2 behind Jordan for GOAT.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

I am certainly not taking anything away from Jordan's greatness. He was phenomenal. I used to watch all of his games even as a Lakers fan when I was in my early years.

I simply feel that LeBron is on that level of greatness, if not on the next.

I feel fortunate to have been able to witness both of their careers.

I appreciate great basketball, and great players ( which both of them proved that they are) . The debate is pretty close.

• Like 1

I was a penny Hardaway fanatic. Have like 15 different rookie cards and a jersey that i wish still fit.

Just try it on, take a pic, and share with all of us. haha.

Penny was one of the players that was so exciting to watch and the injuries killed his career. I don'count Bill Walton because although he was good...he was a boring player.

Edited by Kosher Ham

I am certainly not taking anything away from Jordan's greatness. He was phenomenal. I used to watch all of his games even as a Lakers fan when I was in my early years.

I simply feel that LeBron is on that level of greatness, if not on the next.

I feel fortunate to have been able to witness both of their careers.

I appreciate great basketball, and great players ( which both of them proved that they are) . The debate is pretty close.

I think its extremely close.  We are comparing the two best NBA players ever (at this point), that played in different eras, imo that's hard to do.  

The Bulls would have been our main competition if not for Rose's injury. Would have been 4 straight SCF's or ECF's vs them. They were a better team in '12 but that went out the window when he went down.

That's the definition of carrying a team. LeBron at his size is the one player you can't afford to lose. His durability and bounce back from injury is incredible. Rose was carrying those teams.

I sometimes watch and think he  (LeBron) is some type of cyborg.

I think its extremely close.  We are comparing the two best NBA players ever (at this point), that played in different eras, imo that's hard to do.  

Absolutely man. Tough call. My thing is that competition now is tougher than it was then.

I know you remember "Jordan Rules".  He was the messiah sent to save the NBA from when Bird and Magic were done.

Bullets fans would have hated Jordan if they actually watched all that he got away with.

• Like 1

That's the definition of carrying a team. LeBron at his size is the one player you can't afford to lose. His durability and bounce back from injury is incredible. Rose was carrying those teams.

I sometimes watch and think he  (LeBron) is some type of cyborg.

I felt really bad for those Bulls teams with him injured.  I feel they missed a window of opportunity for something great.  Not taking away from the Heat teams at all.  

As a fan of the game, I think it would have been Bulls/Heat every year in the Eastern conference finals from the 2010/11 season through the 2013/14 season, if Rose were 100%.  Would have been some great/excellent basketball.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro