Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1. I need to check, but I think that I may actually be in the Basketball Hall of Fame. They are pretty loose with the criteria.

2. The 30somethings hate to hear it, but mid to late 90s basketball was arguably the single worst era of the league that did not involve the ABA stealing all the best players. The league over-expanded and did not have the international stars yet to fill in the gaps. Plus, that was a particularly bad era for expensive draft busts. Aside from the Phoenix series, I don't think the Bulls ever played against a team when they didn't have the two best players in the series. The 1997 NBA finals featured a Luc Longley-Greg Ostertag battle at the center position. The benches in the 90s were barren wastelands.

This era is more closely aligned with the 80s where the Celtics and Lakers were bringing dudes like Walton, Wedman, Mychael Thompson, and Michael Cooper off the bench. Nearly every decent team now has at least 6 guys who seem like legit starters and two or three decent bench dudes.

Randy Brown of the lifetime 20 % 3 PT field goal percentage was the first guard off the bench for Jordan's last title team.

By the way, Bob Ryan - who has watched every NBA game since 1878 - agrees with me.

3. My guys might be on the verge of putting a little scare in the Dubs, provided Curry's neck is broken. Otherwise, this ends in five, and buy a Golden State t-shirt.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

Maybe i am wrong. I didn't research it. And full disclosure, i was not a Jordan fan growing up, so i tend to discredit him whenever i can lol. I remeber barkley as past his prime then. But what do i know.

Barkley was in his prime his first two years in Phoenix. Barkley never took care of himself and fell off a cliff in his early 30s unlike his contemporaries like Jordan and Malone.

Karl Malone is an all-time great player for two reasons.

1. He was as good at the pick and roll as any forward in history....and played with the Platonic ideal of a PnR point guard.

2. He was in unbelievable shape and was basically the same guy at 22 as he was at 37. When you are consistently really good for 25 years, you become "great" by sheer force of will. Barkley at his peak was much better than Malone. But Barkley's peak was pretty short because he liked to party.

^^ you would take Pippen over 97-98 Karl Malone? Pippen was pretty beat up those last two Bulls titles.

In fairness, I sort of hate Karl Malone. I admire the fact that he was an incredible physical specimen and completely mastered two or three NBA skills. But I feel like he spent 18 years knowing that he would always receive the perfect pass at the perfect moment. Malone wasn't really capable of taking over a game on his own. And Pippen absolutely could even in his later years. Pippen could always put on those five minute stretches where he simply wasn't going to allow the other team to score.

In fairness, I sort of hate Karl Malone. I admire the fact that he was an incredible physical specimen and completely mastered two or three NBA skills. But I feel like he spent 18 years knowing that he would always receive the perfect pass at the perfect moment. Malone wasn't really capable of taking over a game on his own. And Pippen absolutely could even in his later years. Pippen could always put on those five minute stretches where he simply wasn't going to allow the other team to score.

What did you think of him as worker? Lol

Barkley did party, and he was great. He got into the situation that he was sized out and not as effective at the end of the games.

Didn't Danny Ainge once waive his rings in Barkley's face and scream at him about being hungover for a game? "That's why you'll never have one of these?"

(By the way, at the height of Bo Jackson mania, I decided that two sport stars were going to be all the rage and attempted to corner the market on Danny Ainge rookie baseball cards. Out of curiosity, does anyone want 50 Danny Ainge rookie Blue Jay cards?)

Didn't Danny Ainge once waive his rings in Barkley's face and scream at him about being hungover for a game? "That's why you'll never have one of these?"

(By the way, at the height of Bo Jackson mania, I decided that two sport stars were going to be all the rage and attempted to corner the market on Danny Ainge rookie baseball cards. Out of curiosity, does anyone want 50 Danny Ainge rookie Blue Jay cards?)

I do seem to recall that Ainge situation.

(Not interested in Danny Ainge cards though) Sorry man.

Yeah and magic won the all star mvp in 93.

Or are you really claiming barlkey was in his prime in Phoenix?

Yeah, those two accomplishments are not comparable...  Barkley was a stud in '93 and playing the best basketball of his career.  He was easily the best player on the Dream Team that summer and carried that level of play over into the regular season.  He won an MVP in the heart of the Jordan era, that alone tells you how good he was.  That Phoenix team also team also had KJ and Thunder Dan.  It was a great team and they took Chicago to six.  Better than any of the teams LeBron has faced in the finals, except maybe the '07 Spurs.  Again, LeBron's Miami teams were heavy favorites in all of their playoff series's except maybe the '14 Final.  And going into that series they were probably still the favorite.

I'll admit i don't follow it closely. If the requirements are lax then i guess. But that's a statement on the nba hof not in bosh. Above average / good should not be hof.

Bosh is a ten time All Star, Olympian, and he has two rings.  That's way the hell more than above average.  Luis Scola had an above average career.  David West has had a good career.  Bosh has had a great career.  He's a far better player than Dennis Rodman was and Rodman is in.

• Like 2

Also, I think the Wizards and Thunder really over thought potentially bringing in/keeping harden

Both of those decisions look so bad now

I'm glad we didn't trade for him so I don't have to friggin root for him.  Anyway, the Wizards having a deal on the table for Harden and then just refusing to pull the trigger is one of those things that's been repeated so often by fans that it's assumed to be true, but it isn't.  Any potential trade fell through because Harden apparently wouldn't agree to an extension like he did for Houston.  He didn't want to come to DC.  People don't talk about that part...

As for the Thunder, it wasn't about overthinking, it was about pinching pennies.  Ownership wouldn't allow the team to pay luxury tax and they had already approached that threshold after extending Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka.

He was a luxury for them anyway.  He was a sixth man, averaging 17 PPG for their team whereas he's a first option and MVP candidate on his own team.  They were still a 60 win team after letting him go too, their decline this season is a result of unforseeable terrible injury luck.  The main problem is they only got back a horrible return for trading him.

I will say though, if the choice had been between "Do we extend Ibaka or Harden?" then they chose wrong.  A perimeter heavy team can be problematic, but if the choice is between an All Star wing and a good but not great big, choose the wing.

• Like 1

Outside of ewings football teams, who was in the east in the 90s? Please don't dare say detleff schrempf

The Pacers were a loaded team with an in his prime hall of famer. Cavs in the early 90s were a good team. Kinda like what the Bulls are now.

I'm sorry, but the NBA was significantly weaker when Jordan won his rings.   One really good player back in the 1990s got you 50 wins.  One good player now gets you Kevin Love and T-Wolves - missing the playoffs for 5 straight years.    And when Jordan made his big run in the 90s, the dynasties before him had all gotten old.   He didn't beat Bird's Celtics, the Showtime Lakers were pretty much done, and so were the Bad Boy Pistons were done by then.   The toughest team he had to deal with was Utah.  

Put Kevin Love and his Timberwolves in the East, they are over .500 and a playoff team. So who exactly has LeBron had to beat on his way to the finals this year? How many future hall of famers? You downgrade all the teams Jordan beat but you aren't exactly listing any great teams LeBron beat.

Bosh is a beast, without him, Lebron doesn't have two rings... PERIOD.

The NBA was weak in the 90's... I mean, the Bulls won SIX RINGS! Rockets won 2, Pistons got one, Spurs got one.

The 2000's weren't much better honestly, the West was a war, but the Lakers and Spurs always seemed to be "this" much better than everybody.

I think starting from the 10's and from here on out, we will start to see more parity in the NBA. People are actually building teams now.