Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

My wife and I spent 20 minutes in a debate recently about whether Big Fat Boris Diaw is still big and fat. We ultimately settled on the "He's skinny-fat" option.

What say you?

He moves so much faster than he looks like he should, and rarely looks winded. Its confusing.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Chicago is deeper. But Cleveland has the best two players in the series.

Do you have Jimmy Butler check LeBron or Irving?

Irving of course.   Lebron would just overpower him, and when you gave help, he would find Irving for open shots.   Lebron is a much savvier passer than Irving.  

In this situation, your best bet is to blanket Irving, accept that Lebron is going to get his, and hope it won't be enough.  Do it the same way the Warriors did with Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.   

Irving isn't a huge off ball threat though. You can guard him with a lesser defender when he doesn't have the ball.

And I'm not sure LeBron is still the kind of player that runs rough shod over strong defenders any more.

But the question will probably be moot if LeBron spends his time at PF or plays off the ball more now that Love is down and they need a PF.

I've got to say, if I'm Chicago, I like the idea of forcing LeBron to guard Taj Gibson or Joakim Noah. That would wear. LeBron. out.

And with JR Smith set to miss the first two home games and no Love, Cleveland is a six man team now. LeBron, Kyrie, Mozgov, Thompson, Shumpert, and Marion/James Jones/Mike Miller might add up to one together. Dellavedova is garbage. So is Perkins. This is not a deep team and a Mozgov/Thompson front court is not scary. I think the Bulls are going to muck this series up and beat them up inside. I like their chances.

Atlanta has put the clamps on in the third here. Heres a hint Brooklyn: Dont leave Korver open from 3.

He must have an invisibility cloak or something. Nets were leaving him wide ass open

I think the Wiz can take them. As good as they have the potential to be at any moment, they keep getting into these weird lulls. BK made a 14-2 run at one point. Better teams will make them pay for that

Edited by Mr. Sinister

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/andrew-wiggins-and-the-problem-with-scorers/

That article is a pretty clear demonstration of how and why 538's basketball coverage is sooo bad.  It's a very niche blog.  But even still, man.  The fact that this author is struggling to understand such a very basic concept about basketball--"role"--shows off a pretty startling ignorance of the sport.  This is the kind of thing that gets basketball people to scoff at the pure analytics crowd.  It's pretty obvious to me that Neil Paine has never played basketball at any level of competition.  OF COURSE a player's scoring efficiency metrics are effected by the ways they have to score!  It took him reading a book filled with 20 dollar words to begin to scratch at that idea?

There's a more direct approach he could take to unearthing such basic truths about basketball: actually watching games.  Why bother attempting to follow the game otherwise?