Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Hopefully the lower rank teams in the west can show some fight at home. All the talk about how anyone could win in the western conference because they were all so good hasn't proven to be the case. Mavs, Blazers, and Pelicans have all looked toothless through two games.

I tell ya Steve, Pierce is a really cool guy.

Good for you to have him as one of your favorites.

We used to go to the same barbershop in Boston back in the day. I would see him and Antoine Walker from time to time.

Pierce is just a regular good hearted guy.

Antoine was more of the flashy, needed attention guy.

I tell ya Steve, Pierce is a really cool guy.

Good for you to have him as one of your favorites.

We used to go to the same barbershop in Boston back in the day. I would see him and Antoine Walker from time to time.

Pierce is just a regular good hearted guy.

Antoine was more of the flashy, needed attention guy.

He's a class act.  People might think he's not because he is such a great troll but he really is.  He seems very dignified to me.

Celtics fans were lucky to have him for so many years.  If I were one, I'd want him doing color commentary for game broadcasts after he retires.

So Rondo is mysteriously "out" for the next game.

Discuss.

Did you see the extent of his contributions on the court? They say it's a back injury but I think the truth is that Rondo is proving to be the biggest jerk in the nba. Is there anyone anywhere that he's gotten along with?

He's doing this crap in a contract year too. I hope his best offer next year is off the bench at the mid level exception.

The Rondo experiment was a disaster.  Carlisle needs PGs that can shoot and score and also aren't head cases.  The offense went from the being the best in the league to a disjointed mess as soon as they acquired him.

Meanwhile Josh Smith works out great for Houston and JR Smith is a key role player for Cleveland.  Go figure.

And yet I have advanced metrics bible thumping nerds telling me that "fit" is a myth.

Chandler Parsons's situation is a killer too.  But something nags at me about him.  Last year Houston's perimeter defense and overall defense was so ****ty despite having a mostly healthy Dwight Howard.  This year it's good after changing one specific starting player.  This year Dallas's perimeter defense and overall defense is so ****ty despite having Tyson Chandler.  Parsons is the common denominator in awful perimeter defense.

I'm starting to think that the three spot is as critical to the overall performance of the defense as the bigs are, and that Parsons being so awful on D makes him take as much off the table as he adds.

Has there ever been as high a profile Celtic as Rondo to go to the Lakers, or vice versa?

Fit is a myth? Do they even watch basketball?

I think so.  Probably.  Sometimes.  I'm not really sure.

I think they are just so mentally rigid and unintuitive that they can only understand the game through numbers and absolute statements like: fit is a myth.  Good players play well.  Bad players play poorly.  Everything that happens that contributes to winning and losing is captured in the box score.

This is how these guys come to outrageous conclusions like, "Omer Asik and Andre Drummond are better players than DeMarcus Cousins."  This was like a season or two ago.  Oh and another one, "The Wizards should trade John Wall for Kyle Lowry."  Yeah.  That was from 2013 and I am never letting that one go.

Yesterday, I almost got into an argument over my claim that "defense always wins in the playoffs" is an NBA truism, to which the patronizing response was, "no, scoring more points than the opponent always wins."    So basic was the failure to understand that my initial claim was that, by far, the most reliable way to score more points than the opponent in the playoffs is to be great at playing defense, that I just noped that discussion.  I could tell it was going to be an unedifying and unsatisfying experience.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

It's not that defense wins so much as teams that can't play effective defense won't win, even if their offense is great. Teams have to be able to knock the other team out of it's comfort zone.

A great example is the two Miami San Antonio finals matchups. The first Miami played good enough defense and were able to win. The games were decided in the 4th and Miami could lean on star power, and a miracle shot from Allen, to win a hard fought series. The second time around they couldn't stop the spurs from executing their offense and found themselves trailing big after the first half of virtually every game. Miami got annihilated in a lopsided series.

If you can't slow the other team down in the nba playoffs, it's tough to win.

I find a lot of the internet blog & forum sabremetric crowd gets pissy about how they aren't taken that seriously by old school basketball people.  I think to myself, when you make a claim like Asik is better than Cousins, what do you expect?  You're not even dealing with subjective truth at that point like you would be if you claimed Tim Duncan is greater than Kobe Bryant or vice versa.  It's just objectively false to anyone who actually knows basketball and has ever watched the two play.

It would generate the same reaction if Charles Barkley started up a blog meant for the mathematics community and made an argument with great confidence that "two is greater than four and here is my irrelevant methodology that proves it."

It's not that defense wins so much as teams that can't play effective defense won't win, even if their offense is great. Teams have to be able to knock the other team out of it's comfort zone.

A great example is the two Miami San Antonio finals matchups. The first Miami played good enough defense and were able to win. The second time around they couldn't stop the spurs from executing their offense and found themselves trailing big after the first half of virtually every game.

If you can't slow the other team down in the nba playoffs, it's tough to win.

I agree and wish I had thought of that nuance.  And the Spurs have been the team that proves the truism for almost two decades.  

Kawhi Leonard wins DPOY.  Holy crap.

Leonard is a DPOY caliber player but I don't agree with giving it to him over Draymond Green.  He missed almost 20 games.

Looking at the list of vote getters reveals the process was all kinds of weird.  Davis in third place???  He was far less deserving of votes than Duncan, DeAndre Jordan, and Andrew Bogut.  And if missing time because of injury didn't hurt Kawhi, then why didn't Bogut get consideration?

Also, if playing with another DPOY caliber teammate in Duncan didn't hurt Kawhi, then why didn't Green win?

I just can't understand the justification in giving it to him over Green.  If it had been a big man instead, then OK, that would adhere to the norms of the award that a big man always gets the benefit of the doubt in voting.  Otherwise, if it was to go to a perimeter player, it should have been Green.