Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Draymond Green is exactly why NBA GMs *cough* EG *cough* need to value 2nd round picks. 

that ****er drafted Tomas Satoransky 2 spots before Draymond was selected. EG exists solely to break down my sanity.

Budenholzer won coach of the year, with Kerr and Kidd coming in 2nd & 3rd respectively. Hard to argue with that order, Budenholzer probably got the nod because Atlanta being that great was more surprising than GS.

Steph Curry makes the guy who is guarding him look like they play for the Washington Generals entirely too much to be plausible. 

How the T'wolves selected PG's Ricky Rubio AND Johnny Flynn before him in 2009, I cannot fathom. 

Just like I can't figure out how we traded what became that 5th pick (used on Rubio) and Etan Thomas for Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

Steph Curry makes the guy who is guarding him look like they play for the Washington Generals entirely too much to be plausible.

How the T'wolves selected PG's Ricky Rubio AND Johnny Flynn before him in 2009, I cannot fathom.

Just like I can't figure out how we traded what became that 5th pick (used on Rubio) and Etan Thomas for Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

That Randy Foye and Mike Miller trade is one of the least talked about all time worst trades ever. Steph Curry was exactly what the Wizards needed at the time, but somehow EG thought Randy Foye fits that role better.

It's amazing that guy still has a job after that trade.

I still think most people have no idea how good and deep this Dubs team is. 

My brother in law is a big college basketball fan but only follows the NBA in a very casual way.  When I saw him over Easter he was like, what's going on with the Warriors?  I looked at the standings and was shocked that they were on top.  Then I spent the next half hour gushing over the team and how they were built and how they went from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr and how historically good they've been this season.

It's incredible just how much that franchise has turned itself around.  Their reputation hasn't caught up to how good they currently are.  But if they win the championship, it'll catch up fast.

And Wizards fans have been watching the Warriors closely the past few years because they came up from a similar place and they drafted a lot of the players we wanted and now they have the rich man's version of our team.  We're hoping our team can follow down the path they created.

That Randy Foye and Mike Miller trade is one of the least talked about all time worst trades ever. Steph Curry was exactly what the Wizards needed at the time, but somehow EG thought Randy Foye fits that role better.

It's amazing that guy still has a job after that trade.

Yep.  Both that and Gun-gate were firable offenses.  Immediately obviously terrible.  The fact that they happened so close together and here Ernie is six years later, GM for life, puts Ernie ahead of Reagan as the true teflon man of D.C. History.

• Like 1

I'm watching Stephen A Smith respond to Portland's "we don't lose to Spanish players" sign with "why do only predominately black sports have age restrictions?!"

I'm confused about just what his point is and somewhat annoyed

You're watching First Take (I think).  You should be annoyed. 

Anyways, it seems like Kevin Ollie to OKC is picking up steam...

My brother in law is a big college basketball fan but only follows the NBA in a very casual way.  When I saw him over Easter he was like, what's going on with the Warriors?  I looked at the standings and was shocked that they were on top.  Then I spent the next half hour gushing over the team and how they were built and how they went from Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr and how historically good they've been this season.

It's incredible just how much that franchise has turned itself around.  Their reputation hasn't caught up to how good they currently are.  But if they win the championship, it'll catch up fast.

And Wizards fans have been watching the Warriors closely the past few years because they came up from a similar place and they drafted a lot of the players we wanted and now they have the rich man's version of our team.  We're hoping our team can follow down the path they created.

Bro...I swear to Goodness that I 1000000% believe that we'd be on the same trajectory if our FO is cleaned out and if Wittman is fired.  IF those things happen, there is no doubt that we'll win somewhere north of 53/54 games next season. 

Johnny Flynn was inexcusable at the time.  But nobody had an idea Curry would end up being this good.  Nobody had any idea even just three years ago, or else he wouldn't have gotten such a discount contract extension after his rookie deal.

Remember that at the time, that was widely considered a three franchise player draft with Griffin the consensus 1 and Thabeet and Rubio the consensus 2 and 3 in some order.  Seems comical to say about Thabeet today, but he was a 7 foot 12 dude from UConn with an NBA body, those prospects will always get teams to gamble for them early.

A lot of Wizards fans wanted Rubio at five because of the uncertainty about Gil moving forward.  It was thought that Rubio was going to be the next great pass first PG a la Steve Nash or Jason Kidd, and that the only reason he fell to five was because of signability issues because of his contract with his Spanish team.  Otherwise he might have gone second.  Getting him at five was a bargain for Minny at the time.

Flynn though, that was stupid and universally panned on draft day and it's ended up being even worse than the pessimists expected.

That was an odd class.  James Harden was seen as a reach over Tyreke Evans and Steph Curry at the time and it took him a couple years to shake off that label.  Tyreke was immediately successful and had a 20-5-5 rookie season, numbers that hadn't happened since LeBron and MJ.  He was really seen as THE dynamic talent from the class after that rookie season, before Blake Griffin became an instant superstar the next year.  

And then you had Curry, this painfully skinny two guard who was a college junior coming out of a tiny school in a weak mid major conference without a clear NBA position.  This is not a profile that screams "Future MVP."  Golden State says they're going to move him to PG and develop him there and everyone spends the first three years of his career wondering if it's the right move.  He gets hurt and misses a bunch of time and people think, "see this guy is too small and his ankles are made of glass."  Plus his game isn't that complimentary with Monta Ellis's.

So then Golden State trades fan favorite Monta Ellis for always injured and disappointing former #1/#1 Andrew Bogut.  A hugely risky move at the time that got the owner lustily booed during Chris Mullin's jersey retirement, such that Chris Mullin had to come out and scold the crowd.

And this move then sets their long term foundation for defense and clears the way for Curry to grow within the PG role.  And at this point, stevemcqueen1 drafts Curry in like the 8th round of his fantasy draft and Curry and James Harden proceed to win him his league.

Johnny Flynn was inexcusable at the time.  But nobody had an idea Curry would end up being this good.  Nobody had any idea even just three years ago, or else he wouldn't have gotten such a discount contract extension after his rookie deal.

Actually, Curry got a discount contract extension because his ankles seemed to have serious chronic problems.  He wanted security and the Dubs rolled the dice that he would stay healthy.   

Bro...I swear to Goodness that I 1000000% believe that we'd be on the same trajectory if our FO is cleaned out and if Wittman is fired.  IF those things happen, there is no doubt that we'll win somewhere north of 53/54 games next season.

I agree. I think we could have gotten to about that many wins this year if not for Wittman. But getting rid of Ernie and Wittman... I just don't believe it will happen. McPhee was in charge for 17 years before Ted finally fired him. If that's how long it takes Ted to get fed up with a GM, then Ernie has five more years! I just think Ernie is going to be here until he retires.

He's turning 60 in a couple days, maybe retirement isn't that far away. But knowing our luck, he'll be like Castro and the **** will be collecting his 30 year pin before we know it. Then probably stick around to sell off our second rounders as an Emeritus GM.

And I think Randy is here to stay too. The team might win him out of the hole in the playoffs like they did last year. The only way I could see him getting fired is if the team quits on him. And I don't see that happening. That's the difference between our ownership and Golden State's. They could make the hard choices that were necessary to improve and I don't think we can.

Actually, Curry got a discount contract extension because his ankles seemed to have serious chronic problems.  He wanted security and the Dubs rolled the dice that he would stay healthy.

Even with the injury issues, he still gets a max extension if anyone realizes he's about to be an All NBA player.

Ernie Grunfeld's draft record could be read around camp fires to scare children. Hopefully one day someone will reveal the truth about how that clown stays employed and so loved by the media. Curry is just one of so many missed opportunities that instead resulted in adding nothing to the team.