Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

And they still might get steamrolled by the Spurs.   :(

No way on Klay.   The MIP is Jimmy Butler (or Rudy Gobert or the Greek Freak or even Hassan Whiteside)

COY should be Budenholzer, (but what Brad Stephens has done in Boston is a near miracle).   Kerr might get it but he doesn't deserve it.

It has to be Draymond or Kawhi for DPOY (Gobert has a claim as well)

It's Curry or Harden for MVP.

I was at a black tie event on Saturday, because I'm one of the elite. All the Rockets were there. Dwight Howard gave the introductory speech and said "I think that if James isn't MVP, we riot."

The crowd enjoyed that.

It's very odd to be in a roomful of people who actually like Dwight Howard.

• Like 1

Bad loss for the Spurs. They drop to five and Houston clinches the 2 seed. On the flip side, they get Portland in the first instead of Dallas, a much easier draw IMO. They annihilated them last year and Portland is banged up. But now they have to play GS in the second, the major barrier in the conference. Guess you have to plan on beating them at some point though.

Kerr put your starters back in to win this game. 67 is a historic number.

Really excited to see Wall and Beal vs Derozan and Lowry

That's about the only excitement to be had. It's the saddest first round series this year. Both teams cratering since the AS break. Both fanbases hoping their postseason experience gets their coaches fired.

Incredible regular season for Golden State. Historic record and point differential. I think they dominate their way to a title.

If I see a Warriors vs Clippers WCF, that'd give me hope that even the Wizards can emerge from the NBA's dregs eventually. Longest active streak of sub 50 win seasons in the league. 46 wins = our best season in 39 years.

Brow is incredible. Willing that team to the playoffs in a very difficult conference in just his third season is an impressive accomplishment. He's going to win at least a couple of rings.

DeAndre Jordan tries sooooo hard to channel Bill Russell and Doc Rivers tries to shove the comparison down our throats. But Anthony Davis is the real heir to Bill Russell. Or better yet, the alien lovechild of Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett.

State of the league over the past 20 years:

- The generation of great players drafted from 1991-1994 are long gone (Shaq, LJ, Zo, Mutumbo, Kidd, Penny Hardaway, Hill, CWebb). Many of them gone before their time because of injury, it created a talent vacuum after Jordan's generation retired.

-The generation of great players drafted between 1995-1998 is KG, Kobe, Iverson, Nash, Allen, Duncan, TMac, Dirk, Pierce, and Vince Carter. Them + Shaq basically kept the league afloat during the late 90's and early 2000's. Now all of those guys are either retired or on the doorstep to retirement.

- 1999-2002 is probably the worst four years stretch of drafts in league history. Tony Parker is probably the only worthy HoFer in the group. Maybe Pau Gasol. Both are weak candidates for the Hall IMO, but if Rodman and Mutumbo can get in, they probably should too. Almost all of the big names from this stretch either had their careers wrecked by injury or they were busts:

- Yao, Arenas, and Amar'e - Dominant before injuries ruined them

- Jay Williams - injured before his career even started

- Mike Dunleavey Jr and Drew Gooden - "How the **** did those guys get drafted 3 and 4?"

- Tyson Chandler - didn't start living up to his potential until about ten years in

- Kwame Brown - name is used as the quintessential example of a draft bust

- Kenyon Martin - a testament to how pathetic his draft class was that he was the best player from it

- Elton Brand, Baron Davis, and Steve Francis - never lived up to their potential or had the careers they should have

These draft classes were an abject disaster for the league. And they could have made the NBA so watered down as to be unwatchable if the Duncan/Dirk/Kobe/Garnett generation doesn't have such great longevity and staying power. That plus the generation of great players from 2003-2005 saved the league:

- Greatest class since 1984 pops up in 2003: LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Melo - four HoFers in the top five picks

- '04 gives us Dwight and '05 gives up CP3 and DWill. This plus Kobe was basically the core of the NBA resurgence as well as team USA's resurgence.

But now those guys are aging and either in decline, or will be soon.

And from 2006-2008, we get another shaky group of drafts because injuries have ruined so many of the biggest talents from those years:

- Roy and Oden - ruined by injury.

- Adam Morrison, Andrea Bargnani, and Tyrus Thomas - utter busts

- Michael Beasley - the most stunning bust of all

- LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Joakim Noah, and Al Horford - all terrific players that have had excellent careers. But similar to Tony Parker and Pau Gasol in that, if this is the best these classes had to offer, that would be disappointing.

- Derrick Rose - the most depressing loss to injury since Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill.

- Kevin Durant - potentially the MOST depressing loss to injury in league history. Really hope it doesn't go that way.

Russell Westbrook is currently the only true super talent standing from this period. He's kind of carrying the torch there. Hopefully Durant makes a full recovery.

But fortunately for the league, the 2009-2012 draft classes look strong and are set to pick up the torch from LeBron's generation.

2009: Curry, Harden, and Griffin are MVP caliber players and look like future HoFers

2010: Wall, Cousins, and George are All-NBA talents that might make the leap to MVP candidacy down the road. Although Paul George's injury is a potential blow

2011: Not the best class but at least it gave us Irving, Thompson, Butler, and Leonard. All of them are rock solid All Star caliber players and Irving is going to make All-NBA teams sooner or later

2012: Thankfully gives us Anthony Davis and Damian Lillard. Davis is already the next All Time Great caliber talent following in the vein of Duncan, LeBron, and Durant. The path to championships and MVP awards will eventually travel through him. Lillard is an All NBA talent. And Beal and Drummond are probably on track for eventual stardom.

This is good because the 2013 class is awful and the super hyped 2014 class has been extremely underwhelming so far.

Interesting how generations of great players seem to come into the league in clusters of about 3 or 4 draft classes in a row. Then we get a down period of three or four draft classes. Then we get another boom.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 3

I was at a black tie event on Saturday, because I'm one of the elite. All the Rockets were there. Dwight Howard gave the introductory speech and said "I think that if James isn't MVP, we riot."

The crowd enjoyed that.

It's very odd to be in a roomful of people who actually like Dwight Howard.

I need to hear more about this event. I bet the invitations were on heavy cardstock.  

This also reads like the start to a 4000-word Bill Simmons column about meeting Dwight at that dinner, being impressed at how large he is in person, noticing the body language of the other players as Dwight entered the room, and then comparing Emilio Estevez's film career to Dwight's career arc.  

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 4

The Warriors have been the freshest thing to come into the NBA for me in a while. And Curry is probably my favorite player to watch play since Shaq.

And I think Harden had a heck of a season. Especially considering the fact he's in the West, and that he did a lot without Howard.

That being said, the Warriors annihilated the NBA from start to finish. And I know a lot of people keep throwing this statement around, but it's too much to ignore the fact that Curry barely played in the 4th quarter for a lot of games this year. I don't see how he doesn't win the MVP for real man. 

• Like 2

You only like Shaq because people called you that.

I wished. lol

People always said I should be an offensive linemen for the Redskins. I wanted to play on defense though. :(

Maybe if I did play OT, I would probably still be playing right now instead of walking around with this limp lol

I need to hear more about this event. I bet the invitations were on heavy cardstock.  

This also reads like the start to a 4000-word Bill Simmons column about meeting Dwight at that dinner, being impressed at how large he is in person, noticing the body language of the other players as Dwight entered the room, and then comparing Emilio Estevez's film career to Dwight's career arc.  

Hilarious and that is exactly why I love him...

Brow is incredible. Willing that team to the playoffs in a very difficult conference in just his third season is an impressive accomplishment. He's going to win at least a couple of rings.

DeAndre Jordan tries sooooo hard to channel Bill Russell and Doc Rivers tries to shove the comparison down our throats. But Anthony Davis is the real heir to Bill Russell. Or better yet, the alien lovechild of Bill Russell and Kevin Garnett.

Brow is already far more skilled offensively than Bill Russell ever was, but is far less skilled defensively.  Davis really isn't even a very good overall defender yet - he relies entirely on athleticism and blocks, not on protecting the rim and channeling his opponents into low percentage shots.  He gambles way too much.

When (if) he develops the kind of defensive savvy of a Duncan or Garnett, he will take over from Lebron as the NBA's best player.       

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

LOL! This reads almost like you are LKB's good twin. Yes I would consider him the evil one. Please post more.

Brow is already far more skilled offensively than Bill Russell ever was, but is far less skilled defensively.  Davis really isn't even a very good overall defender yet - he relies entirely on athleticism and blocks, not on protecting the rim and channeling his opponents into low percentage shots.  He gambles way too much.

When (if) he develops the kind of defensive savvy of a Duncan or Garnett, he will take over from Lebron as the NBA's best player.

I can see Brow having a Russell-like legacy of winning. Or at least the closest you can come to it in a 30 team NBA. Kid is a born winner.