Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1-16 seeding...

I'm for it. The East just doesn't carry its weight, and hasn't for 17 years. Everyone knows the WCF is going to be the real final. If not for the brief big 3 eras of the Celtics and Heat, the East would have been totally hapless. Past time to make this change. And I say this as the fan of a middle rung East franchise that would never have a shot at the Finals in an open and fair playoff. It's just bad for the league to have the best franchises eliminate each other too early because the playoff system puts them at a disadvantage.

Why not?

But let me say that I really don't have an issue with the current system. These things go through cycles. In a few years, the east may be really good

Yeah, but then you'll just run into the exact same problem in the opposite conference.

Seems like the Thunder lose as least as often as they win when Westbrook has a huge game.

This season has been a huge mess in general for OKC, but I'm now understanding how Westbrook triple-double ball is not actually good basketball. Having any player take 43 shots in a game completely disrupts and prevents any semblance of team play. It's the purest distillation of hero ball, actually facilitated and encouraged by the coach. His teammates are totally checked out. I think this is a big difference between Durant and Westbrook. Durant does a much better job of seeing the big picture throughout the game and keeping everyone involved and engaged and that's why the team was still a lot better last season when Westbrook was hurt and it was just the Durant show.

Also wanted to say that I'm not so sure the East will be able to re-balance the league any time soon. It's not about getting elite talent through the draft. East teams have been getting high draft picks for a long time and squandering them. Cleveland got three #1/#1s in four years and would have squandered all of them if LeBron hadn't decided to save them.

The real problem is that most of the best run franchises are in the West. The Celtics and Heat and Bulls and Hawks are the only franchises with good management and coaching in the East. Maybe the Pacers too. But the West is like 10 deep in superior organizations. That's the real source of the disparity between the conferences and I don't see how you possibly change that.

• Like 1

Why not?

But let me say that I really don't have an issue with the current system. These things go through cycles. In a few years, the east may be really good

The bottom teams don't even stand a chance.

A season like this... only the Hawks and Cavs really stand a decent chance. I suppose the Raptors and Heat could be considered.

Looks like the league won't suspend Westbrook for his tech that he received late in the Pacers/Thunder game last night. The tech was rescinded, so the Thunder will have him tonight for their crucial game against Portland.

Didn't see what happened in the game. Was it worth a tech?

No, it was a really weak tech. The kind that you shouldn't have to pay for by suspension. Plus, the fact that Westbrook is literally balling like his life depends on it + The Thunder going down to the wire here at the end of the season tipped things in Westbrook's favor.

Well I don't think OKC's situation as a team should factor into whether or not the tech was valid. Plenty of teams have been screwed by untimely suspensions in the past. I already think the league and the officials exercise too much discretion on foul calls as is. But I also don't like seeing so many weak ass techs getting handed out either. I'd say that most of the techs I've observed this season should never have been called and came off like the refs were power tripping.

This season has been a huge mess in general for OKC, but I'm now understanding how Westbrook triple-double ball is not actually good basketball. Having any player take 43 shots in a game completely disrupts and prevents any semblance of team play. It's the purest distillation of hero ball, actually facilitated and encouraged by the coach. His teammates are totally checked out. I think this is a big difference between Durant and Westbrook. Durant does a much better job of seeing the big picture throughout the game and keeping everyone involved and engaged and that's why the team was still a lot better last season when Westbrook was hurt and it was just the Durant show.

That's a little unfair. This OKC team reminds me of those Iverson Sixers teams. If Westbrook doesn't go off, they have absolutely no shot of winning.

That's a little unfair. This OKC team reminds me of those Iverson Sixers teams. If Westbrook doesn't go off, they have absolutely no shot of winning.

Relying on Westbrook to go off and have the other four guys stand around watching is not good basketball. That team has a lot more talent aside from Westbrook and Durant now than it did last year, when they won 59 games. Talent isn't their issue, it's leadership. They need a real coach and they do not need Russell Westbrook using 40% of their possessions. They need a system that gets everyone much more involved and Westbrook needs to be a lot more patient and intuitive about how he runs his team over the course of a game. You simply can't win playing 1 on 5 in the NBA. Westbrook is playing as hard as anyone possibly can and it isn't enough.

Here's the thing that's hard to boil down into stats but has always been true about basketball.  When guys aren't involved on offense, they tend not to be as effective or energetic on defense.  Not every single person obviously, but a significant portion.  They also go cold and aren't effective if you ever do need to rely on them late in the game.  It takes them mentally out of where you want players to be.  Westbrook going on and taking three pointers 4 feet behind the three point like with 16 seconds left on the shot clock might result in a nice stat line but I bet it deflates his teammates after a while. 

I don't blame Westbrook, I blame Brooks.  That team has always run a hero ball offense, it just hasn't looked like this most of the time because they've had two heroes.  

Here's the thing that's hard to boil down into stats but has always been true about basketball. When guys aren't involved on offense, they tend not to be as effective or energetic on defense. Not every single person obviously, but a significant portion. They also go cold and aren't effective if you ever do need to rely on them late in the game. It takes them mentally out of where you want players to be. Westbrook going on and taking three pointers 4 feet behind the three point like with 16 seconds left on the shot clock might result in a nice stat line but I bet it deflates his teammates after a while.

I don't blame Westbrook, I blame Brooks. That team has always run a hero ball offense, it just hasn't looked like this most of the time because they've had two heroes.

It really is sad watching that team