Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

They were 30th in points allowed last year (so from 30th to 21st so better), and they had the worst point differential last year too.

Putting aside our entertaining MCW discussion the other day, on PTI (just watched it) they reported that Joel Embiid was on the trading block in the days leading up to the trade deadline for a lottery pick in this years draft. That's insanity. Defend your boy. ;)

Putting aside our entertaining MCW discussion the other day, on PTI (just watched it) they reported that Joel Embiid was on the trading block in the days leading up to the trade deadline for a lottery pick in this years draft. That's insanity. Defend your boy. ;)

First, what has generally been reported is that the Sixers were willing to talk about any player on their roster.  Not that they were specifically trying to trade Embiid for only a lottery pick

I would have tried not to take Embiid with the 3rd pick and in that sense trading Embiid makes sense.  You have big man with a foot problem.  Who knows how long he's going to play in the NBA.

You seem to have conflated me saying I liked the deadline deals with the idea that I've liked everything the Sixers have done.

I'm not sure how much value the 3rd pick had last year, but there wasn't anybody there that I loved as a pick so I would have tried to trade the pick.

Embiid at 6, I might have done, but I wouldn't have wanted to do it at 3 (now, with that said it is possible that nobody wanted the 3rd pick, and you were stuck taking it in which case maybe you take him if the doctors are giving you a very positive prognosis, but that wouldn't have been my preference.  I don't really like Embiid with the 3rd pick. (This is a situation where it is hard for me to criticize because I don't have enough information.  I don't know what doctors were saying about Emiid's long term health prospects then or now, and I don't know what you could have gotten for the 3rd pick.))

But at this point in time, if somebody wants to talk to me about trading them a big man that has never played a minute of NBA basketball and has a serious foot problem, I'm absolutely going to listen to them (look at the KD situation this week).

There's no way I'm telling somebody that Embiid is off limits in trade talks.

If I can trade Embiid to a team at that is likely drafting in the top 5 year for their pick this year and a first round pick next year (with even let's say top 5 protection on that pick), I'm absolutely doing it .

The fact that they didn't trade Emiid suggest the asking price was higher than his (perceived) value.  If you are in the Sixers situation and you can get somebody to give you more than the value of the player, you do it.

Every time.  For any player.

Edited by PeterMP

There are rumors that Embiid is lazy and clashed with team trainers and that he got fat and gained over 50 pounds during his injury. If true, then they made a draft mistake and realize it and are trying to cut bait. Embiid is a super talent but I'm getting an Eddie Curry vibe now. This is not a defense of Hinkie. He is the one who tanked and failed and drafted the kid.

If you've seen pictures of Embiid the last 2 months or so, he is not 300 lbs.

That was a nonsense rumor.

The Sixers will be rebuilding for the next 20 years

He could be wearing spanx or standing next to fatter people.

I see on ESPN that Rondo got into a shouting match with Carlisle. That didn't take long.

If it were Wittman, Rondo would be in the D League today.

That sucks for Rose.   Professional sports can be so cruel.  We will never know what Ralph Sampson, Greg Oden, Danny Manning, Grant Hill or Bill Walton might have accomplished.   Looks like Rose is likely to join that list.

Penny Hardaway, Brandon Roy, Gilbert Arenas, and Larry Johnson too. Jay Williams, Lenny Bias, and Reggie Lewis, not for injuries, but tragic off-the-court issues.

And even though they ended up having good careers, T-Mac and Yao are another two I would include because they could have been so much better. A big/wing tandem to truly rival Shaq and Kobe.

The list of potential HoFers who couldn't live up to the potential of their talent because of injuries is probably a lot longer than the list of guys who stayed healthy and did. And the NBA feels the loss of stars more keenly than the other sports because they shine so much brighter.

It's a pretty devastating blow to the NBA to lose it's youngest MVP ever. Especially since he played for one of the marquee franchises. And I think Rose in particular is a tough loss compared to a Brandon Roy or Greg Oden, because he was so spectacular. Had a lot of the same appeal as Iverson, who is beloved by a whole generation of players and fans.

But that loss really happened last year. Rose was never going to be the same player again after he injured the other knee.

Speaking of Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, isn't it incredible that the Blazers are as good as they are despite suffering that series of blows in like a three year span? Back to back franchise players lost. LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard saved basketball for that city.

Edited by stevemcqueen1