Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

when was the last time this happened with the spurs?  

how about every single year.    

Pops is one of the few coaches that has the security and wherewithal to not care about regular season games... and to actually play that way.   The Spurs ALWAYS have regular season stretches where they are tinkering with line-ups/resting players/trying new schemes/whatever .... where they lose and are written off... and then some how <surprisingly and miraculously> they find cohesion and momentum at the end of the regular season and enter teh playoffs in playoff form.  

that said... they ALSO never ever win back to backs :)      (and duncan ginolbi are as old as I am ....right?)

A coach that doesn't care about the regular season and uses it to tinker that's finished with the one or two or three seed every year since '98-'99 except twice?

The Spurs never go through stretches of poor execution and sub .500 basketball and yet they've had two already this season. They never get outplayed in crunch time and OT. They never flinch at a road trip. They never let injuries slow them. It's always been next man up and they will beat everyone with superior execution.

Yet here they are this year, the fourth best team in their own division, and looking up in the standings at a couple of teams they do not match up well against. Again, this year's team just isn't as good as last year's, and the upper class of the West is a lot better and more crowded.

Maybe they'll be able to just hang around and then flip the switch in the postseason like you suggest, but where has the evidence of their ability to do that been in their play this season?

Maybe they'll be able to just hang around and then flip the switch in the postseason like you suggest, but where has the evidence of their ability to do that been in their play this season?

It's in the same place your evidence that the Bulls can't beat the Wizards this season is.

A coach that doesn't care about the regular season and uses it to tinker that's finished with the one or two or three seed every year since '98-'99 except twice?

The Spurs never go through stretches of poor execution and sub .500 basketball and yet they've had two already this season. They never get outplayed in crunch time and OT. They never flinch at a road trip. They never let injuries slow them. It's always been next man up and they will beat everyone with superior execution.

Yet here they are this year, the fourth best team in their own division, and looking up in the standings at a couple of teams they do not match up well against. Again, this year's team just isn't as good as last year's, and the upper class of the West is a lot better and more crowded.

I can remember having this exact same conversation with somebody around this time of year at least 8 times in the last 12 years

Who are they going to displace?

I still don't believe in the Rockets.   They are winning a heck of a lot of very close games using Harden hero ball.   That can't work forever.  I also think Dallas is a bit of an illusion - all offense, no defense.  I also don't see Rondo fitting in very well there.   He is too ball dominant, and that is not how that team is constructed.  He should have gone to Houston, he would have been deadly there.   Both are very good teams, but not nearly as good or deep as the Spurs, IMO.  

Meanwhile, the Warriors cannot possibly sustain the current pace, especially if Bogut is out for a long time.  They are going to fall back toward the pack.   The Clippers are talented, but they don't scare people like they did last year.

Portland is for real and is getting better all the time, and Memphis is going to be tough, but the Spurs will be right there with them.  

I would predict that the Spurs would end up seeded somewhere between 1-4 at the end of the season, and I would want no part of them in the playoffs.   My top 4 are Spurs, Warriors, Portland and Memphis, and any order from 1-4 is possible.

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

Good game.  You all get to have your asses back.

Until next time...

And IDGAF what anyone says. NO point guard in the league can take over like Wall can (ok maybe Russ or Lillard). I've never seen a player use his speed so effectively. It's like playing 2k and keeping the turbo down the whole time. He singledhandedly borough them back from the dead. 

He may be my MVP this season. He makes that whole team. Last season, I thought it was Beal but I was wrong. 

And I honestly thought he'd cook Rose tonight. Rose only plays like that when he's going up against a top PG like Lillard, Wall, or Lowry

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93