Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

12 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

Game one is just screaming Outlier at me... I need to see the Raptors do it again before I take them seriously. Siakam went for 32 shooting 14/17.

The Warriors need Iggy as much as they need Durant though.

Siakam and Gasol overachieved, but it wasn’t all luck.  The warriors lack of size and their defensive strategy played a role in that.  They don’t have Embiid or Giannis out there altering the release point of shot attempts in the paint merely by extending their arms.  Also their aggressive doubles on Kawhi gave Gasol a lot of space and mismatches to take advantage of.  The Blazers couldn’t handle that style of defense, but the Raptors took advantage of it.  The Warriors will have to adjust.

My questions for the Raptors are about the defensive end of the floor.  Can they keep the warriors bottled up?  I wouldn’t be shocked if the raptors score around 118 four times.  What I have a hard time picturing is the raptors winning all four of those games.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

There were some other outliers in there.

Kawhi shooting 5-14?  That’s an outlier.

Warriors shooting 94% from the line?  That’s an outlier, too.

Smh... That's probably why it's so hard for me to see how this is going to go... Game 1 was weird all the way around.

• Like 1

I think the adjustment the Wars make could be Demarcus Cousins. He's got that size and physicality that can go up against Gasol and Siakam, but just what kind of shape is he gonna be in? He didn't exactly light the world up Game 1, but could be better after shaking some rust off.

Durant returning would obviously be a huge swing but I don't see that until Game 3 at the earliest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I get that Drake is an employee of the team and all that but man how is he just allowed to approach opposing players like that on the court?

It’s Drake, the most popular rapper and pretty much a mogul for this generation. He’s mentioned Curry in many of his songs so I’m sure they’re somewhat friends. 

Listening on to ESPN on Friday you’d be forgiven for thinking Steph Curry was horrible in game one.  I’m getting that same feeling reading this article about question leading into game 2:   

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26863099/two-big-questions-heading-raptors-warriors-game-2

The Raps held Stephen Curry -- who averaged 24 field goal attempts per game in the Western Conference finals -- to just 18 field goal attempts. Nobody did a better job than Fred VanVleet, who matched up against Curry 29 times and held him to just two points in those instances, per Second Spectrum tracking. With Kevin Durant still sidelined, Curry needs to thrive, but Toronto made sure that didn't happen with a smart and aggressive pick-and-roll defense that suffocated Curry all night long.

Reading that you’d never guess that Steph lead all scorers in game 1 with 34 points.  The fact that he did it on 18 shots isn’t evidence that the raptors contained him.  More shot attempts has never indicated a better game and it’s kind of insane to use that stat in that way.  Shot efficiency is king.  Every basketball fan knows that.  Steph countered the Raptors pressure by getting to the line 14 times and hitting all 14.  

The question coming out of game 1 isn’t can Steph score or play well.  The question is which of his teammates will step up and do the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Destino said:

The question coming out of game 1 isn’t can Steph score or play well.  The question is which of his teammates will step up and do the same.

He gets no respect. His playoff numbers are all-time top 10 level great but he has a reputation for some reason for choking and playing badly in the playoffs.

I know that he doesn’t have that signature moment or game winner etc and lacks finals mvps. He should have 2 of those imo and if so would be much more highly regarded. It sucks 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man