Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything Chris Christie Thread

@DCGoldPants

you neglect the turnout factor

So you think that Hillary would be a larger draw than Obama?

you think Christie will be a larger draw than Mitt?

his base voted at a lower rate than the previous two elections....winning the 10% does not win the election w/o the base

I would welcome him running, but I don't see anything special (just the usual talk about appeal that vanished for the last two candidates)

add

fwiw...I do think Hillary would have a higher overall turnout, of course she will also turnout opposition

Palin was also rather popular w/ low negatives....till the long knives came out

I see what you are saying. Both candidates were rather moderate prior to winning the nomination. Both candidates faltered in their approach to the middle class when it really counted though.

With McCain it was Palin. He pick a running mate that was so far out in left field (or was it right field?) that the middle lost him. She had no history. She was an uncertainty at a time when he needed to be certain. Lastly, she didn't help him win any states. Alaska? Ouch.

With Mitt, it was his pandering. He pandered to the right so much that he lost himself the election. It was as if he had a script, stayed to it and never shot from the hip. It seemed like he was more worried about energizing his base than he was about capturing the middle.

You are right though. Christie could be the same thing. He seems very intriguing right now but the system could totally ruin him if he does get the nomination. A lot of people view him as a man's man, a guy that will said what is needed to be reasonable.

It is totally possible that he gets made into another right wing madman. A lot can change in three years. There is hope for Christie though, because of the way he has acted on the public stage this far I think people hope that he doesn't fall into the typical "republican trap".

As far as Hillary. She will get her turn out. Both ways. I don't doubt it at all. I think Christie would garner a large turn out as well. There hasn't been a hopeful that I wanted to gain the nomination this much since I've been able to vote. I don't think I'm alone.

McCain was dead in the water w/o a boost

If Mitt pandered to the right they obviously did not appreciate it enough to turn out(even lower than McCain)

hitting the trifecta takes more ......perhaps Christie has what it takes,but I doubt it.

you neglect the turnout factor

So you think that Hillary would be a larger draw than Obama?

you think Christie will be a larger draw than Mitt?

his base voted at a lower rate than the previous two elections....winning the 10% does not win the election w/o the base

I would welcome him running, but I don't see anything special (just the usual talk about appeal that vanished for the last two candidates)

add

fwiw...I do think Hillary would have a higher overall turnout, of course she will also turnout opposition

Palin was also rather popular w/ low negatives....till the long knives came out

Palin had low negative because nobody knew who she was.  Christie's name recognition already far exceeds Palin's at the time when her nomination was actually announced.

With respect to other comments, I've said it before, his weight wasn't just an issue in terms of electability, but his doctors we're really worried about his weight creating health issues.  Not so much in terms of being President, but exhuastion and the like from campaigning.

I've said here before that he wouldn't run because he wouldn't have the support of his family and friends w/o losing weight and keeping it off.  He seems at least he's on track to do that.

The other things is that somebody did an analysis that showed all of the travelling the last week or so of the election has little impact on the results and even before that.

Look for Christie to run a different type of campaign that focuses on quality and not quanity and internet.  Early on, you have to travel a good bit to hit different fund raisers, but don't expect something like the Romney campaign did (they hit like 5 different states the last two days), which is pretty traditional.

I think you could see a Christie campaign take the last 3 days and sit in a single state (or maybe in between two if they are close together).

Though, I don't think he can win the primary.

McCain was dead in the water w/o a boost

If Mitt pandered to the right they obviously did not appreciate it enough to turn out(even lower than McCain)

hitting the trifecta takes more ......perhaps Christie has what it takes,but I doubt it.

McCain was likely dead in the water because the economy was collapsing, and he was on the wrong side of it early on (anybody remember Phill Gramm comment about a psycological depression (or whatever term he used), but that wasn't clear at least to the general public based on the polls when he made the announcement (I'm not sure how much it was clear or not clear to the McCain campaign).

The day that he announced Palin, he was less then 4 points behind Obama and the Dems had already had their convention and the Republicans had not, and it isn't abnormal for in that case there to be that type of switch with the conventions, and he gained the lead after the convention.

Similarily, in 2012, the Republicans went first.  At the start of the Dems convention, the race was even.  Seven days later Obama had a 2.9 lead.

From looking that polls when he made the announcement, yes he needed a bounce, but he didn't need a bounce that was out of line with normal second convention bounces.

The Conventions are going back to their traditional placement next time around.  Instead of a few days between convention; it will be a month like it was before,

Hillary will get all of Democrats.  I can tell you West Virginia will vote her, like they did her husband and return to the Democrats at the presidential level.   Hillary will get all the non-conservative female vote among independents and a chunk of Republicans.

Christie will not appeal to those woman.  The way he conducts himself maybe fine for men, but it will turn off alot of women.

I like him. It seems he does what is right for his state and not his party.

That is the problem with both sides they work for the party and not the state. That is also how 1/2 the people vote, for their party and not the well being of the country

PeterMP -  (sorry, I the quoting thing is going crazy on my computer!) - I understand his doctors' concern for his weight and I definitely understand the lack of support from family and friends until he starts getting healthier.  I've heard him discuss his wife and his discussions about health and the fact that she really wants him to take weight off, moreso for their family and kids than anything else.  I just don't like that the discussion of health concerns primarily occurs when people are "fat" as opposed to people who have other health issues that aren't as noticeable.

As for the primaries, if he runs against whackos like Bachmann, Palin, Perry, etc. and loses the primary, I'm definitely removing my registration from the Republican party.  If there are other non-crazies in the race and he loses, I'll be unhappy, but will  not go ape, haha.

a counter opinion

http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-apotheosis-of-chris-christie.html

Unprecedentedly the deals made in 2012 are supposed to lock down the
nominations for both parties in the 2016 presidential election.

Christie considered jumping into 2012, before deciding to stay out of
it. But that didn't mean that he had any interest in Romney locking down
the job and preventing him from running until 2020. And he gave Romney
exactly the kind of help you would expect from a man who ran ads in 2008
touting his compatibility with Obama.

New Jersey politics has always been cynical. Its last governor was
responsible for a monumental financial scam. The governor before him
resigned after a gay affair spilled out into the tabloids. The President
of the New Jersey Senate doubles as the General Organizer for the
International Association of Ironworkers.

In
carefully culled soundbites, Christie's brazen attitude can seem like a
reformer's breath of fresh air, but it actually reeks of the contempt
for voters and everyone else that is typical of Jersey politicians who
pride themselves on not even pretending to give a damn.

The real Christie isn't a reformer. He's not really any different than
Governor Cuomo next door in New York or Jerry Brown in California. He's a
Republican by registration in a region where that doesn't mean very
much except connections with a particular political machine. It says
nothing about his beliefs and values. And assuming that he has any may
be a very generous interpretation.

that's the counter opinion I would expect.

(He isn't an obstructionist asswipe. that's BAD!)

Considering he's proud of this set of names quoting his blog

Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck,Daniel Pipes , Glenn ReynoldsLou Dobbs, Dick Morris, Ed Driscoll, Andrew Bostom,Caroline Glick, Andrew Bolt,Pamela Geller, Debbie Schlussel , Tim Blair, JudithKlinghoffer, Phyllis Chesler,Robert Spencer, MelaniePhilips , Michelle Malkin,Victor Davis Hanson, The Blaze and FOX News

..I am now more interested. A bigger list of blowhard losers would be hard to write. The fact this clown is happy to be quoted by them says to me all I really need to know about him and his opinions. But I read it anyway.

if the fringers and TP clowns don't like him, that's in his favor.

idiots like this speak to the same people every day. Idiots like this think that so long as they stay within that comfort range with people who don't disagree with them, then it makes them correct.

If the names on his Proud Associate list start echoing this dis-endorsement of Christie, it only increases his appeal among people who know better than to listen to such morons.

Mouthbreathers like this just can't help but aim right at their own foot, can they?

I'd wonder if it's done on purpose,, that these people who most thoughtful Americans can't stand pan him, as reverse psychology to tip the middle in their favor..  but then I doubt the people on that list could ever rein in their egos long enough for it to work.

~Bang

I think more so Bang, Dems will flock to Hillary in 2016 regardless of who runs, even if Christie has cross over appeal.

I am full on in the tank for the guy except for that fact that he is fat. However when Dems find out he is essentially a small government, slash spending economic conservative who opposed gay marriage in NJ, I am struggling to find where the "appeal" really is. 

Interesting to me that you come right out and mention his weight as a negative to you personally.  What difference does his weight make in his ability to govern?  Why does it bother you personally?

Many mention his weight as a factor that might hurt him in the polls, but you're the first person I know who has come right out and said Christie's weight bothers you personally.   Please explain.

I think more so Bang, Dems will flock to Hillary in 2016 regardless of who runs, even if Christie has cross over appeal.

I am full on in the tank for the guy except for that fact that he is fat. However when Dems find out he is essentially a small government, slash spending economic conservative who opposed gay marriage in NJ, I am struggling to find where the "appeal" really is. 

Interesting to me that you come right out and mention his weight as a negative to you personally.  What difference does his weight make in his ability to govern?  Why does it bother you personally?

Many mention his weight as a factor that might hurt him in the polls, but you're the first person I know who has come right out and said Christie's weight bothers you personally.   Please explain.

It is a discipline issue to me along with the health needs of the most stressful job on earth

You now need to be healthy and fit to serve as President considering everything that is required of the person. I think age (McCain) is fair game now also considering just what it takes to be President. 

It is a discipline issue to me along with the health needs of the most stressful job on earth

You now need to be healthy and fit to serve as President considering everything that is required of the person. I think age (McCain) is fair game now also considering just what it takes to be President. 

Fair enough. He will make for an interesting race if he decides to run.

I think Mary Pat wants him healthy, or healthier, so that was more than likely his motivation for the surgery.

We watched a lot of C-Span on Sundays when living in Savannah (where all of the Sunday talk shows are on at the same time, so you have to pick, you can't see all views), so we got to see a 30-minute interview with Sarah Palin, as the Governor of Alaska, long before she was chosen by Senator McCain as his running-mate. She was well-spoken, and had not yet acquired "the crazy".

But then we found out she had no grip on geography, history,or anything else. Her teenage daughter was pregnant, unmarried, holy crap.(in my world, not huge.) Then, she proceeded to abandon her elected

office. That sealed our position on her. (Keep your crazy version of preaching family values. And when the going gets tough,or you get a better offer from Fox, BAIL!) How no one else saw this is amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Christie Confessional: "I'm a Dallas Cowboys Fan"

While talking to students at Samsel Upper Elementary School on Tuesday, New Jersey's governor, Chris Christie, 

. Those teams included the New York Mets, New York Knicks, New York Rangers and ...

" ... my favorite football team is not the New York Giants, it's not the New York Jets and it's not the Philadelphia Eagles. Get ready now: My favorite football team (is) the Dallas Cowboys -- which, by the way -- is not the smartest thing for the governor of New Jersey to want to be, is a fan of the Dallas Cowboys," Christie said.

For a man with an insurmountable lead in every poll for re-election, we're guessing it's not the dumbest confession of all time either.

Christie explained to the students why he didn't choose to root for one of the local teams when growing up.

"I was a big fan when I was your age," he said. "I was a big fan of Roger Staubach, who was the quarterback for the Cowboys back then. The Giants and the Jets pretty much stunk when I was a kid and my father was a Giants fan. I used to remember watching him when I was eight, nine years old and every Sunday he would watch the Giants and yell at the TV set. I used to think to myself, 'Why would I want to root for a team that makes you angry?'"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213406/article/chris-christie-confesses-he-is-a-dallas-cowboys-fan

I would think being fat would appeal to the average American. If he would then try something to get healthy again, while in the national eye, it could appeal to even more fat Americans.

Either that or Coca Cola and McDonalds could sponser his presidency.

• 6 months later...

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/08/22229091-emails-tie-christie-administration-to-bridge-controversy?lite

Emails tie Christie administration to bridge controversy

Explosive emails released Wednesday are casting a potential cloud over New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s presidential prospects for 2016.

The revealing conversations between state officials suggest for the first time that politics -- from the highest levels of Christie's administration -- may have played a role in last fall's controversial closure of local access lanes to the congested George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, N.J. in the midst of Christie’s re-election campaign.   

Democrats have charged the closures were an attempt at political retribution for Ft. Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich, a Democrat who declined to endorse Christie's re-election effort last year and whose city sits in the shadow of the bridge.

"Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee," Christie Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly wrote to Christie Port Authority aide David Wildstein on Aug. 13, weeks before the lane closures that snarled traffic on the first day of school in But the emails threaten to undercut the governor's strong denial that politics played any role in the closure.

Wildstein replied, "Got it."

In one of the more revealing exchanges, an unidentified person sent this text message about delayed school buses to Wildstein on Sept. 10, the second day of the lane closures: 

"Is it wrong that I am smiling?"

Wildstein: "No."

Person: "I feel badly about the kids. I guess."

Wildstein: "They are the children of Buono voters."

Buono is the Democrat whom Christie defeated in last year's gubernatorial race. 

more at link

Archived