Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything Chris Christie Thread

@DCGoldPants

Could not think of a malicious equivalent from the Obama administration off the top of my head (probably due to my liberal bias), though I imagine there probably is one.

Funny, none of the Republicans can think of a malicious equivalent from the Obama administration, either. (Although they've been trying, anyway.)

Here's a thought: How about not trying to find an equivalence?

And I know NJ politics and I expected more cleverness. Like I said, this is a Boss Hogg type scheme. "Let's be direct and leave a paper trail."

Watch the Daily Show segment. He has a lot of fun on that theme.

I guess it what you means by throwing him under the bus. I don't know if his political aspirations are salvagable right now. The real question in my mind is whether something is going to come out that effectively ends his political career.

I think this is a win if he remain governor and maybe run in 2020. I think 2016 is already dead.

I disagree.   I think there is a very good chance that this will blow over in a couple of weeks.  It will remain a huge deal in New Jersey, but will it play in Peoria?   Or Pomona?  Or Pierre?   I'm not so sure about that.

I disagree.   I think there is a very good chance that this will blow over in a couple of weeks.  It will remain a huge deal in New Jersey, but will it play in Peoria?   Or Pomona?  Or Pierre?   I'm not so sure about that.

I think you and I disagree on Christie in general. I can't imagine he is going to go into Iowa and convince all those Evangelicals to vote for him. I can't imagine his act working in South Carolina either. And that's before someone like Santorum runs an ad all about his sleazy, bullying brand of Northeast governance.

I've always thought Christie was a longshot because he does not have a natural base anywhere with typical Republican primary voters - Socons, veterans, and deficit hawks. (McCain always had veterans; they were his secret weapon every place he went).

you requested it repeatedly......

I did not request it once.

In fact, specifically requested otherwise. 

You've chosen to attempt it repeatedly.

Odd how you assume it was referencing Obama . :P

Typical how you try to point fingers elsewhere, without actually disputing anything.

i have only glanced at this story... but my first glance at the texts and emails looked like people that think they are "ironic" saying douchebag things slightly tongue-in-cheek

sortof similar to someone at China Daily saying "that'll learn 'em" as a typhoon moves towards Japan.  IN that case you KNOW that the  party-loyalists stooges  didn't acually CAUSE the Typhoon... but still act like internet tough guys.

in this case... is there definitive evidence that these slooges actually shut down lanes un-neccisarily?  or are there just the poor-judgement jokning texts?

in this case... is there definitive evidence that these slooges actually shut down lanes un-neccisarily?  or are there just the poor-judgement jokning texts?

No, they intentionally shut down the lanes.

“Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee,” Bridget Anne Kelly, one of three deputy chiefs of staff for Christie, wrote on Aug. 13. The recipient of the e-mail was David Wildstein, a longtime political operative who went to high school with the governor and was hired to be the governor’s eyes and ears at the Port Authority. Wildstein, who ordered the closures three weeks after the message and resigned last month amid the escalating scandal, wrote back: “Got it.”

http://www.northjersey.com/news/christie_kelly_bridge_lane_closures_emails.html#sthash.sHuzaTnK.dpuf

In other words, Christie's chief of staff sent an email to Christie's friend in the Port Authority saying "Shut down traffic." Three weeks later, that friend did exactly that. Then they laughed about it.

Here is a very specific timeline:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Timeline_of_events_around_GWB_lane-closure_controversy.html

This will affect Christie with a very small, but possibly influential crowd in the general election.

It actually may help him in the primaries with the nutbags.

But those who are howling about this werent voting for him over Hillary anyway.  Much like Benghazi wont hurt her overall, this wont hurt him overall.  But COULD hurt in a few weird scenarios.  IE, I dont think Christie ever had a chance of winning NJ in a General, but he may have made the Dem spend money there.  Now it's a done deal and the Dem can spend that money elsewhere.

I think you and I disagree on Christie in general. I can't imagine he is going to go into Iowa and convince all those Evangelicals to vote for him. I can't imagine his act working in South Carolina either. And that's before someone like Santorum runs an ad all about his sleazy, bullying brand of Northeast governance.

I've always thought Christie was a longshot because he does not have a natural base anywhere with typical Republican primary voters - Socons, veterans, and deficit hawks. (McCain always had veterans; they were his secret weapon every place he went).

I'm not saying that Christie will or will not get the nomination.

I'm just suggesting that if he doesn't, it suspect it won't be because of this particular controversy.  

As someone who believes wholeheartedly and is very bothered that our current President has deliberately misused his power both for political gain and in more acute circumstances, I have to admit that this Christie crap really bothers me.

I don't want my politicians executing their power like this. I know it's been happening for as long as government has existed, and I know that our form of government is a little less prone to doing this than some others (hello Putin), but it still makes me sick and it further knocks Christie down in the likability department for me.

Christie is done as a presidential candidate. He was already a bit sketchy for a number of reasons. This kills him. He'll be the butt of an unimaginable number of jokes (more than he already is) and this scandal isn't going to go away while he remains relevant. And anyone can understand how wrong what his staff did was, because everyone HATES sitting in traffic. The narrative that he's an asshole is set in stone now. And likeability problems kill a candidate as much as anything else.

He's cooked.

Stealing this from another website I frequent:

Seems like Rachel Maddow has a new theory.

The theory is it has nothing to do with Sokolich's non-endorsement. It has everything to do with political vengeance against Democrats because Democrats refused to confirm Christie's Supreme Court nominees. Why did Democrats refuse? Christie refused to reappoint the only black member on the court, John Wallace, for tenure when his seven year term was up. This was the first time a Governor had refused tenure for a Justice in the six decades of the New Jersey Constitution. Democrats decided not to confirm anyone for that position. When another Justice was up for tenure, a Republican, Christie pulled her reappointment for tenure as Democrats signaled she will have a tough reconfirmation. This was the second time a Justice was refused tenure in six decades. Christie called Democrats "animals" for their tactics. All this happened on August 12. On the morning on August 13, Wildstein got the ok to cause traffic in Fort Lee by Christie's Deputy Chief of Staff. Who is the Senate representative for Fort Lee? The Democratic Majority Leader of the Senate, Loretta Weinberg.

Curious if anyone knows more about this.

A traffic jam is a ****ing scandal? Are we serious? 

Only in America is a traffic jam more offensive than NSA spying, IRS abuse, and a failed health care scheme.

The problem is that it was mean spirited and petty. People forgive mistakes. They understand government overreach can happen.

If Christie didn't know about it, then it is very similar to the IRS situation, I guess. Underlings doing dumb stuff. But if he DID know, then those comparisons are not very useful.

There is no theory, there are terrible people that worked for the governor who screwed up and rightly were fired.

You might be right. You might not be.

Archived