Extremeskins

What is RGIII's weakness?

Gigantor

Sliding. wouldn't imagine he'd get much practice doing that either
recovering from his injury/surgery.  Slide under control with better
technique.

Always wanting to make a play/extend plays. sometimes it's
great, but sometimes get 4 yards, get out of bounds, slide. or just
throw the ball away instead of juking 4 defenders.

Continue to work on progressions/reads. like some have said here. Robert himself said that.

I think the deep ball wasn't really there because the line couldn't pass protect long enough to set up the deeper stuff. He showed it at Baylor, so I think in time it will come. A few were off last season, but not many shots/opportunities.

I think of him like Spider-Man. No real weakness. Sure he could protect himself better, but we already saw him doing that late in the year. He's really bright so I trust him to learn from any mistakes and evolve.

Agreed. I'll echo a line Joe Gibbs would use about some players, the guy is supersmart. lol he's made and will continue to make adjustments. The evolution was happening right in front of us last season in only his rookie campaign. I don't think some realize how transcendent a player he is already.  He has it all. He's learning, figuring and will figure it out. I have no doubts. Just hope the knee will not be a problem and he can fully realize all he can and will do in this league for this franchise. Hail!

I agree. Should he stay healthy, we've only seen a subset of what RGIII can do.  

I'm surprised nobody brought up his inability to throw "touch passes". I seriously can't recall one. Not that he must learn that skill in order to be successful, it's just something I've noticed is not in his toolbox.

Intermediate passes over the middle can be a bit high.

Other than that and sliding better it is hard to find much else, especially given the ROY's performance his first season and TD-INT ration and completion %. 

My gut, Shanny, Kyle, and RG3 knows this answer better than anyone else.

Inexperience and ego.  I expect both to improve with time but the ego is a life long fight.

RG3's ego is only a weakness for some fans, not him. Fans are the ones who can't handle his "ego"--read: "extreme confidence"...a confidence that has been backed-up by on-the-field performance. A few too many of us feel that all it's going to lead to is some bad karma or that he's putting a "target on his back" or whatever else seems to be. The whole "I wish he wouldn't say anything" seems to be born more out of fear than anything else (with the occasional fan who just doesn't like players with personalities like that). Hell, some fans felt that having the "III" on his jersey was born out of ego...that his left sleeve was born out of ego ("Hey, look at me!!")...that his throwing motion was, yes, born out of ego...etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda.

With RG3, there's no sense of entitlement on his end, no sense of being "better than" towards others, no sense of separating himself from his teammates due to his ego...I don't think there has been one single story, tweet or blog entry that ever centered around his ego in a negative manner. That's because his "ego", again, is really just extreme confidence...and he expresses the same extreme confidence in his teammates and coaches. Anyone remember how he acted towards Alfred Morris on the sidelines during the last Cowboys game?...You couldn't find a bigger cheerleader for Morris than RG3. He's out there pointing to Morris and yelling to the crowd to cheer him on. If RG3 truly had an ego he'd be off by himself during Morris' big day, not acting like Morris' biggest fan.

Inexperience and ego.  I expect both to improve with time but the ego is a life long fight.

RG3's ego is only a weakness for some fans, not him. Fans are the ones who can't handle his "ego"--read: "extreme confidence"...a confidence that has been backed-up by on-the-field performance. A few too many of us feel that all it's going to lead to is some bad karma or that he's putting a "target on his back" or whatever else seems to be. The whole "I wish he wouldn't say anything" seems to be born more out of fear than anything else (with the occasional fan who just doesn't like players with personalities like that). Hell, some fans felt that having the "III" on his jersey was born out of ego...that his left sleeve was born out of ego ("Hey, look at me!!")...that his throwing motion was, yes, born out of ego...etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda.

With RG3, there's no sense of entitlement on his end, no sense of being "better than" towards others, no sense of separating himself from his teammates due to his ego...I don't think there has been one single story, tweet or blog entry that ever centered around his ego in a negative manner. That's because his "ego", again, is really just extreme confidence...and he expresses the same extreme confidence in his teammates and coaches. Anyone remember how he acted towards Alfred Morris on the sidelines during the last Cowboys game?...You couldn't find a bigger cheerleader for Morris than RG3. He's out there pointing to Morris and yelling to the crowd to cheer him on. If RG3 truly had an ego he'd be off by himself during Morris' big day, not acting like Morris' biggest fan.

AMAZING post.

I've been wanting to post something like this but couldn't find the words. Even when we disagree, you are always articulate and well-spoken.

We've been so abused as fans that we just assume that something bad has to happen to us and RGIII basically being himself is going to accelerate it. 

I feel like our fans think that if he talks to the media, then we'll have a repeat of 2009. It's just battered fan syndrome

If there is one downside to his supreme confidence, it's that he thinks/feels that he can always make something happen.  He doesnt need to check down or slide early because he "knows" that he can make something happen (and very often he can) 

So I guess his biggest weakness is that sometimes he doesnt know his own limits (or know when/how to limit himself) and this occasionally gets him into trouble.

It's mostly because of a damaged fan base waiting for the other shoe to drop. Whether it's a Redskins thing, or a D.C sports thing, or whatever, fans tend to sit around waiting for something to go wrong. So then when something negative does happen, they can have that suspicion reaffirmed. It's like a defense mechanism. You can't get hurt if you never think something positive is going to happen.

And then there are people who I think have fetishized the idea of "being under the radar" and having no one talk about you, mainly because no one has talked about us in like two decades. It's a culture shock to have a legit, bonafide superstar that transcends the sport. People who know nothing about football (and don't really care) ask me about Robert Griffin III all the time. My sister hates football (she's a hockey person) but she's always asking about RGIII.

So part of the fanbase is scared of some non-existent jinx, and part of it has only ever experienced success "when no one is talking about them", even though the main reason no one talked about us is we had no stars and basically zero hope.

RGIII has no weakness, he is Super Man on steroids. He isn't ****y, he's confident. RGIII has Joe Montana's coolness under pressure, Dan Marino's pure passing ability, John Elway's arm strength, Steve Young's accuracy, Brett Favre's gun slingin' ability, Tom Brady's passion, Peyton Manning's football IQ, and Michael Vick's alusiveness and speed.

RG-as-Superman-1.jpg

There's something predictable about the way he goes through his reads. I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable about football, but at times watching RG3 I feel like I can bop my head along with his as if to a beat and predict when he's going to let it loose. That being said, this goes along with minimal and correctable problems for a young QB.

AMAZING post.

I've been wanting to post something like this but couldn't find the words. Even when we disagree, you are always articulate and well-spoken.

We've been so abused as fans that we just assume that something bad has to happen to us and RGIII basically being himself is going to accelerate it. 

I feel like our fans think that if he talks to the media, then we'll have a repeat of 2009. It's just battered fan syndrome

That part in bold is what irritates me to no end lol...

It's mostly because of a damaged fan base waiting for the other shoe to drop. Whether it's a Redskins thing, or a D.C sports thing, or whatever, fans tend to sit around waiting for something to go wrong. So then when something negative does happen, they can have that suspicion reaffirmed. It's like a defense mechanism. You can't get hurt if you never think something positive is going to happen.

And then there are people who I think have fetishized the idea of "being under the radar" and having no one talk about you, mainly because no one has talked about us in like two decades. It's a culture shock to have a legit, bonafide superstar that transcends the sport. People who know nothing about football (and don't really care) ask me about Robert Griffin III all the time. My sister hates football (she's a hockey person) but she's always asking about RGIII.

So part of the fanbase is scared of some non-existent jinx, and part of it has only ever experienced success "when no one is talking about them", even though the main reason no one talked about us is we had no stars and basically zero hope.

Don't forget about the fans who dread seeing how many Sunday or Monday night games we are scheduled for..."I hate when we play a nationally televised game...we always suck in those".

AMAZING post.

That part in bold is what irritates me to no end lol...

>It's mostly because of a damaged fan base waiting for the other shoe to drop. Whether it's a Redskins thing, or a D.C sports thing, or whatever, fans tend to sit around waiting for something to go wrong. So then when something negative does happen, they can have that suspicion reaffirmed. It's like a defense mechanism. You can't get hurt if you never think something positive is going to happen.

Don't forget about the fans who dread seeing how many Sunday or Monday night games we are scheduled for..."I hate when we play a nationally televised game...we always suck in those".

Swinging Gate didnt help that out. The only reason I dont really like MNF games is because out here in Alaska, the games start at 4 pm and I start work at 3pm.

I'd say there's a difference between people who focus on things like that, and people who focus on things like his desire to run, his refusal to slide or go out of bounds. Its something he said he'd work on - somewhat admitting that he needs to improve there. Then there's the whole injured / playing injured fiasco that between him and Mike went wrong. We need to not have that happen again.

Are those ego related? I don't know but that's how I might characterize it.

Swinging Gate didnt help that out. The only reason I dont really like MNF games is because out here in Alaska, the games start at 4 pm and I start work at 3pm.

Swinging Gate was 4 years ago, though lol...I was at the airport going to my gate, and stopped to watch some of the game inside a terminal bar. When that nonsense happened, I literally laughed out loud, shook my head and kept walking to my gate lol.

I'd say there's a difference between people who focus on things like that, and people who focus on things like his desire to run, his refusal to slide or go out of bounds. Its something he said he'd work on - somewhat admitting that he needs to improve there. Then there's the whole injured / playing injured fiasco that between him and Mike went wrong. We need to not have that happen again.

I'd characterize it as a high level of competitiveness, not ego. When RG3 got injured running during the Ravens game, if he was thinking "These fools can't stop me!", then that's ego. But if he's thinking "Gotta get every inch if we're gonna win this game", then that's competitiveness. Not necessarily smart competitiveness lol...

RG3 has a weakness for Twitter & Facebook and needs to put an end to it.  

um what??...

all he does is post inspirational tweets and occasionally speak his mind...Is that wrong?

I think it's too much.  I wish he would just focus on the rehab and avoid the media and Twitter as much as he can.

It's just battered fan syndrome

So can I take credit for coming up with that phrase 2-3 years ago on here?  :lol:

Anyways, I agree 100%. Fans of this team have been conditioned to expect failure, and have not yet figured out how to handle the fact that they now have a player on their team who is arguably already the premier face of the NFL. pundits talk about him 24/7, opponents are literally in awe of him, and opposing fans want him to die... 

It can indeed take some serious getting used to for some people, especially for Skins fans who are too young to remember the SB years. I honestly think that people were starting to turn the corner after the Dallas game (you could feel it around town) but the Seattle game figuratively sent them walking straight into that backhand, and they retreated back into the corner, feeling like the fanbase (but really just them) isn't worthy of RGIII, and wanting him mummified in bubble wrap. You can't succeed without taking risks though.

He's going to be fine. The dude has all the talent in the world, a great head on his shoulders, a strong resolve, a Super Bowl winning head coach who will put him in the best position to succeed, and an owner who will do whatever it takes to get him the best weapons money can buy, not to mention a great support group behind him family wise. Once he gets all the minor kinks worked out, this team will truly be a sight to see once he takes off.

RG3 has a weakness for Twitter & Facebook and needs to put an end to it.  

um what??...

all he does is post inspirational tweets and occasionally speak his mind...Is that wrong?

I think it's too much.  I wish he would just focus on the rehab and avoid the media and Twitter as much as he can.

Yeah those 20 minutes a day or less it takes him to type twitter and facebook posts are really eating away his rehab time....

Swinging Gate was 4 years ago, though lol...I was at the airport going to my gate, and stopped to watch some of the game inside a terminal bar. When that nonsense happened, I literally laughed out loud, shook my head and kept walking to my gate lol.

>I'd say there's a difference between people who focus on things like that, and people who focus on things like his desire to run, his refusal to slide or go out of bounds. Its something he said he'd work on - somewhat admitting that he needs to improve there. Then there's the whole injured / playing injured fiasco that between him and Mike went wrong. We need to not have that happen again.

I'd characterize it as a high level of competitiveness, not ego. When RG3 got injured running during the Ravens game, if he was thinking "These fools can't stop me!", then that's ego. But if he's thinking "Gotta get every inch if we're gonna win this game", then that's competitiveness. Not necessarily smart competitiveness lol...

To quote Good Ol' Jim Ross, Griff occasionally has more guts than brains.

Archived