Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is RGIII's weakness?

Gigantor

We all know RGIII is awesome and all the things he does well. i think he is one of the best QBs ever.

But nobody is perfect and I've never read a discussion about his weaknesses. Surely he has some, so I'm just wondering where the more knowledgeable members of the board think RGIII needs to improve. What is his weakness?

I wish some of the local sports journalists did a better job, it seems every press conference is a jock sniffing session instead of asking real questions. RGIII himself alluded to working on his ability to check down to other receivers...

So far in the NFL...just being a rookie. Similar to Bryce Harper he plays the game with intensity and passion and not always with brains.  They're both excellent players, awesome to watch and bring up the level of play of their teammates.  Along with that, they make some (slightly boneheaded) rookie mistakes with that level of passion and intensity.

All that said, this is something that he will learn to move beyond (and probably already has).

HTTR

I think this thread should be closed,

because other NFL coaches will come into this thread and use this information against RG3

seriously? lol

"Hey guys, I was doing some scouting on RG3 the other day and I was reading on their forums about all his weaknesses. They have some amazing insight over there, we should take heed.  First thing I want to do is find some Kryptonite. Where can I get that?  Second, we need to find a dozen girls with the biggest knockers out there..."

seriously? lol

"Hey guys, I was doing some scouting on RG3 the other day and I was reading on their forums about all his weaknesses. They have some amazing insight over there, we should take heed.  First thing I want to do is find some Kryptonite. Where can I get that?  Second, we need to find a dozen girls with the biggest knockers out there..."

LOL!!

If that's the case then we definitely need to keep this thread open lol...

By the way, one of Griffin's biggest weaknesses is playing with the lead. Opposing teams need to let RG3 and the Skins get big leads if they want to weaken his game...*nod*

His pocket awareness could use some work (more plays like the first TD against the Ravens and less plays like the sacks he took on TG against Dallas) and as he said he neds to do a better job scanning the field when his first read isn't there. Not uncommon problems for young QBs however, especially young QBs that have never been in an offense with a playbook before.

i wont say he has any glaring weaknesses, but as mentioned earlier he should be more aware of the devastation potential that defensive hits have at this level. One hit can change his career permanently.

i wont say he has any glaring weaknesses, but as mentioned earlier he should be more aware of the devastation potential that defensive hits have at this level. One hit can change his career permanently.

I agree. No  glaring weaknesses, just areas to improve/build on. I think his pocket awareness could get a little better honestly, along with holding the ball too long trying to make a play when he should probably throw it away. I'm sure he's already working on that. That will help reduce the unnecessary hits in the pocket, which will become more important as the offense begins to feature more passing.

RG3 could use work going through his progressions.  He's not as bad as some try to make him out to be, but he's not great at it either.  He'll go through all his reads but the timing isn't quite natural for him yet so he can miss guys or be late to make a throw on occasion.  That will improve as he gets more time and reps with his recievers, but it is something I hope the coaches are working with him on as well.

I would also be pleased if he improved his pocket awareness and escapability within the pocket.  Sometimes it seems like he relies a little too much on dashing off to the sidelines to look for running opportunities or to buy time for his recievers when he feels pressure, instead of moving around in the pocket, a la Brady or Luck, to buy time for his receivers.  I want him to improve on this for two reasons: 1. Once he's outside the pocket, defenders can treat him as a runner and try to score a viscous hit on him, and  2. When he dashes to the sidelines looking to buy time for his recievers, he limits himself to only being able to throw to one half of the field, while guys like Brady are able to still see the whole field from the pocket while buying time, and deliver a strike to either side of the field.  Even though RG3 did show amazing arm strength in that Saints game when slinging the ball to Fred Davis from the opposite side of the field, good outcomes like that won't happen often if he tried to do it more than a few times a season.

He's only entering his second season though.  I have faith that he'll be able to master both these current weaknesses in the coming years. 

I agree with many posters here.  RGIII is an exciting and dynamic playmaker....the likes of which neither the league, nor certainly the Redskins, have not seen before.  What makes RGIII stand out from other "running" type QB's is that he wants to throw first, then run.  And, from all accounts, he is a student of the game and wants to beat teams with his ability to read defenses and diagnose the correct offensive counter to this ala Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. 

To me, his weakness are

1. Sense of invincibility, and trying to play through too many serious injuries.  This blame is also shared with Shanahan, who as the coach should know that he has to pull the chain when his eyes tell him that his star player is not 100%.

2.  Not using the QB slide when running.  Also, trying to gain that extra half yard vice running out of bounds.  He did get better at this after the Atlanta game.

3.  Keeping the ball to long in the pocket.  Even when he did not run (due to whatever reason) he still took a lot of shots while in the pocket.  Needs better pocket awareness, and know when to just get rid of the ball......live for another down.  Think this will develop over time, and with a better sense of the offense and where everyone is supposed to be.

For a rookie QB....really not much to complain about.  His TD to INT ratio was outstanding, as was his completion rate.  As long as RGIII stays healthy, I fully expect great things from him for the next decade or more wearing Burgundy and Gold.   

If I had to pick something no has touched on yet, there were some snap/ handoff issues throughout the season. We were fortunate that most were recovered by our guys, but it seemed like there was at least one per game. And of course his last play resulted in an injury while trying to recover a bad snap.

Archived