Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is RGIII's weakness?

Gigantor

You can admit he has faults, there isn't anything wrong with that. Especially if you think we will expand our passing attack and he will take on a greater role there is nothing wrong with improving what led to some of his turnovers this past season.

Same thing with fumbles. He fumbled quite a bit in the early part of the year he just didn't lose a lot of them, in fact 2 were recovered for scores. Just because he didn't lose them doesnt mean its not something he can work on.   

I know he has faults, and that is the whole point. He is always going to have some fault. RG3 is never going to be perfect, but apparently many here expect of him.

RG3 could have a day where he goes 29-30 for 450 yards and 6TDs and just one missed pass in a blowout win. However, in the post-game thread, you'll have 30 pages of folks whining about that one missed pass as if the team lost. :rolleyes:

RG3 can "work on things", but he is still going to throw some INTs. He'll still fumble, no matter how much he works on it. Perfection is never going to be an option. :)                                     

•  

What the hell are you talking about??? If anything, most people on this board would be making excuses for RGIII if the scenario you brought up happened. Have you not seen how much worship RGIII gets on this site?

You can admit he has faults, there isn't anything wrong with that. Especially if you think we will expand our passing attack and he will take on a greater role there is nothing wrong with improving what led to some of his turnovers this past season.

Same thing with fumbles. He fumbled quite a bit in the early part of the year he just didn't lose a lot of them, in fact 2 were recovered for scores. Just because he didn't lose them doesnt mean its not something he can work on.   

I know he has faults, and that is the whole point. He is always going to have some fault. RG3 is never going to be perfect, but apparently many here expect of him.

RG3 could have a day where he goes 29-30 for 450 yards and 6TDs and just one missed pass in a blowout win. However, in the post-game thread, you'll have 30 pages of folks whining about that one missed pass as if the team lost. :rolleyes:

RG3 can "work on things", but he is still going to throw some INTs. He'll still fumble, no matter how much he works on it. Perfection is never going to be an option. :)                                     

•  

Did you read the premise of the thread? IT IS TO NITPICK

RG3 could use work going through his progressions.  He's not as bad as some try to make him out to be, but he's not great at it either.  He'll go through all his reads but the timing isn't quite natural for him yet so he can miss guys or be late to make a throw on occasion.  That will improve as he gets more time and reps with his recievers, but it is something I hope the coaches are working with him on as well.

I would also be pleased if he improved his pocket awareness and escapability within the pocket.  Sometimes it seems like he relies a little too much on dashing off to the sidelines to look for running opportunities or to buy time for his recievers when he feels pressure, instead of moving around in the pocket, a la Brady or Luck, to buy time for his receivers.  I want him to improve on this for two reasons: 1. Once he's outside the pocket, defenders can treat him as a runner and try to score a viscous hit on him, and  2. When he dashes to the sidelines looking to buy time for his recievers, he limits himself to only being able to throw to one half of the field, while guys like Brady are able to still see the whole field from the pocket while buying time, and deliver a strike to either side of the field.  Even though RG3 did show amazing arm strength in that Saints game when slinging the ball to Fred Davis from the opposite side of the field, good outcomes like that won't happen often if he tried to do it more than a few times a season.

He's only entering his second season though.  I have faith that he'll be able to master both these current weaknesses in the coming years. 

Im sorry did you Watch RGIII play this year? Im dead serious too. He does all of the things you mention without any weakness besides the fact the he's a rookie. He holds onto the ball to long sometimes but His completion percentage along with being at the top of the league at the longest yards per pass means that he wasnt just dinking and dunking. Also he was at top of the league and even more than Tom B at targeting every WR on the feild Just my opinion though

I'm sorry, did you even read my post?  I didn't say anything about holding onto the ball too long, his completion percentage, yards per pass, or dinking and dunking.  What are you even talking about?

Lack of a RB capable of the read-option, sub-par WRs.  And whatever defense the Steelers and Carolina were running...

cheap shots to knock him out of the game...

thats it.

RG cut up the Steelers D...we had 12 drops that day. He did his job. Carolina was just a bad game by everybody. It happens.

TD_washingtonredskins writes:

I don't know why people build these strawmen arguments (everyone will bash Griffin no matter what he does, for example) just to refute them.

DMYLeGenD writes:

What the hell are you talking about??? If anything, most people on this board would be making excuses for RGIII if the scenario you brought up happened. Have you not seen how much worship RGIII gets on this site?

Apparently you two haven't spent much time on game day threads. :) You'll see this Fall.

•  

Lack of a RB capable of the read-option, sub-par WRs.  And whatever defense the Steelers and Carolina were running...

cheap shots to knock him out of the game...

thats it.

Those would be team weaknesses. RG3 is not the team lol

AN external force could still be someone's "weakness" and I think if we had a RB not capable of being effecting in a read-option and/or ZBS, then it would weaken RG3s offense and he'd be less effective...

As far as an indivual attribute?  Not mastering the slide to avoid a big hit... once he does that he can add a fake run out of bounds to slow the defense up and then turn it back in-bounds for more yards... they have rules to protect the QB, he needs to use those and then make it an advantage.

His greatest weakness right now is running the no huddle hurry up offense in my mind. And that is to no fault of his own. You can only practice and implement so much in one season. I hope that is something we really add to this offense this year. For all the talk about the things we can do to open up this offense even more (spread concepts, Thompson/Reed, etc...) we hardly talk about the one thing that would make this offense absolutely devastating. Imagine a no huddle hurry up offense with the pistol being its base formation. Yikes.   

IMO he doesn't have a legitimate consistent deep threat to show off that part of his game.  When he gets that deep threat, IMO we will see one of the best deep throwers in the game. Maybe Aldrick Robinson comes to his own this season and becomes that guy.  I notice some of his intermediate throws up the middle can sometimes sail high

I don't know if this is RG3, the OL, Shanny, or the WRs, but we didn't throw the ball deep enough last year. That's not necessarily a flaw in his game and you can see from the Dallas and Philly games that when we did, we got nice things from it, but after those games especially I was looking for the deep ball and it just wasn't coming. Was he just not looking deep? Were we not getting the time? Were guys covered? Were the plays not called?

I don't know if this is RG3, the OL, Shanny, or the WRs, but we didn't throw the ball deep enough last year. That's not necessarily a flaw in his game and you can see from the Dallas and Philly games that when we did, we got nice things from it, but after those games especially I was looking for the deep ball and it just wasn't coming. Was he just not looking deep? Were we not getting the time? Were guys covered? Were the plays not called?

Against the Giants on Monday night I believe we went deep to Garcon on the first play from scrimmage and he was double-covered. He went deep to Garcon in the Seahawks playoff game and Earl Thomas picked it off. 

I agree we need to go deep more. I remember some ridiculous stat about him having a high completion percentage on deep passes with only one safety over the top. Then when they put two safeties deep the read option tears them up. 

Mike (and Kubiak and Kyle's) offense has always been designed to kill people over the middle. Even when Shanny had Cutler's arm, they mainly killed teams over the middle off play action and timed their deep shots, and RG3's arm is at least as big as Cutler's.

It also takes time and practice to develop the kind of deep ball accuracy RG3 had at Baylor with Terrence Williams and Kendall Wright. You basically have to know your receivers inside and out. That accuracy will come.

RG3's greatest weakness?  OK.

He can forget that he is still just blood, flesh, and bones.

But that's a criticism that can be leveled against anyone that steps foot on an NFL football field come game day.

Fumbes..... He may have only lost 2 fumbles last year but he did put the ball on the ground 12 times. If there is a weakness that he has, that he can do something about, it has to be keeping the ball in his hands when he is going down to the ground. Yes you can put some of this on o-line play but, even on a blindside hit, you gotta hold on to that ball.

If you want to say health, yeah I guess, but what can he do about that besides not take as many chances, but who are we kidding, this is football, you play every play like it's your last and play hard the whole time.

Inexperience and ego.  I expect both to improve with time but the ego is a life long fight.

No thanks.  Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees also have the "weakness" of having big egos.  Based off those guys' collective success, that's one thing I don't want RG3 to "improve".  Or maybe you'd rather have someone with an ego like Tony Romo sits to pee or pre-2007 Eli Manning, someone whose confidence gets shaken after a few bad plays or a few negative headlines?

Inexperience and ego.  I expect both to improve with time but the ego is a life long fight.

All QBs have a certain amount of ego and swagger about them.

How is RG3's ego  a weakness?

Yes, you're right all QBs a certain amount of ego,...it's all in how you manage it.

Your ego can be your worse enemy.  I feel it's everyone's weakness, especially younger men.  So I think at this point (other than recoverying from his injury), the weaknesses that can be exploited with RG3 are his inexperience and ego.  So far he's done a good job of keeping it in check for the most part.

As far as his game goes -- from my perspective he's got all the tools to be a great/elite QB. 

No thanks.  Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees also have the "weakness" of having big egos.  Based off those guys' collective success, that's one thing I don't want RG3 to "improve".  Or maybe you'd rather have someone with an ego like Tony Romo sits to pee or pre-2007 Eli Manning, someone whose confidence gets shaken after a few bad plays or a few negative headlines?

Sure, they have egos,....everyone does.  It's how you manage it.  Those guys know how to manage it, so they're successful.  I'm sure RG3 will do just fine -- but it's always a potential weakness that can trip you up.

Here is a specific thing for him to work on....Play Action when he has to turn his back to the defense to fake the handoff. He doesn't do a good job of finding his target as he comes out of his bob, and often throws late off his back foot. Two of his picks came in this scenario.

Brad Johnson, by contrast, threw his best passes bouncing out of PA.

Archived