Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is RGIII's weakness?

Gigantor

He's mechanics get sloppy from time to time.

A good amount of his INTs last year were high balls due to poor footwork or poor release

LOL!

You make it sound like he had 20 INTs or something last season. :lol:

He only had FIVE. That was like one every three games.That is great for a rookie. I don't think he has any serious issues with mechanics. Any "weaknesses" in his game were rookie issues that will get better with more experience.

Hard to say after only one season, the main thing that comes to mind is that when a play breaks down and he has to scramble, he should try to be smarter about not taking big hits due to cutting back into the middle of the field instead of going out of bounds.

There were some big plays that never materialized when you look at the game film as far as WRs being open way down field, but it is hard to say if breakdowns in pass coverage were to blame for those not happened.

Remember, going into 2012 we though the O-line was a weakness and RGIII's ability might have made them look better in pass protection then they actually were.

The strange thing about this thread and the criticisms is that RGIII got hurt twice.  Once when heading out of bounds and once when sliding and his leg popped up.  Not saying that some of you are wrong, but it is odd.

I think the biggest weakness in his play is his unwillingness to just throw the ball away.  There's another down, another series.  Some times, the play just isn't going to work without him taking a pop...and for that pop the gain could never yield points or a first down.  Some plays are doomed from the snap.  Recognize them and get out of them, preferably without injury.

The strange thing about this thread and the criticisms is that RGIII got hurt twice.  Once when heading out of bounds and once when sliding and his leg popped up.  Not saying that some of you are wrong, but it is odd.

I assume you are referring to the Ravens and Falcons games. While, true still on each play had he just given up a little earlier he wouldn't have been hurt. Its a fine line to walk and especially to find during the middle of play at full speed which is why I do not envy the guys like RG3 who are criticized for it, even though I do believe it is a valid point. 

A good amount of his INTs last year were high balls due to poor footwork or poor release

LOL!

He only had FIVE. That was like one every three games.That is great for a rookie. I don't think he has any serious issues with mechanics. Any "weaknesses" in his game were rookie issues that will get better with more experience.

Why do the numbers matter? If a large enough percentage of his low number of interceptions was caused by something he was doing incorrectly, then it's something he could improve upon. 

Obviously Griffin's five interceptions is "great for a rookie" or, quite honestly, any starting quarterback. But great players do have aspects of their game that can be improved. 

LOL!

Um...okay.

The OP asked about weaknesses and that was one. Go watch his picks and tell me that most were not due to poor footwork/mechanics.

Did I say anything to make it seem like he was turnover machine?

LOL!

Why do the numbers matter? If a large enough percentage of his low number of interceptions was caused by something he was doing incorrectly, then it's something he could improve upon. 

Obviously Griffin's five interceptions is "great for a rookie" or, quite honestly, any starting quarterback. But great players do have aspects of their game that can be improved. 

Sure it can be improved if you expect ZERO interceptions. :lol:

Unlike too many on this board, I don't expect perfection from the players. Just do their very best.

LOL!

Um...okay.

The OP asked about weaknesses and that was one. Go watch his picks and tell me that most were not due to poor footwork/mechanics.

It wasn't a weakness... that is where you are wrong.

If he had thrown a lot of INTs, I would agree with you. However, he threw such a paltry few, it is hard to believe their is any serious issue there.

Id like to see him continue to improve on his deep ball timing. I'm sure that naturally will happpen as he enters year 2 in this offense. He certainly was not weak in this area but left some big chunks of yardage on the field here and there like any qb. As he matures though, a few more of those underthrown/overthrown vertical passes turn into game changing plays

LOL!

Sure it can be improved if you expect ZERO interceptions. :lol:

Unlike too many on this board, I don't expect perfection from the players. Just do their very best.

LOL!

Um...okay.

It wasn't a weakness... that is where you are wrong.

If he had thrown a lot of INTs, I would agree with you. However, he threw such a paltry few, it is hard to believe their is any serious issue there.

Theyre not asking him to be perfect or to throw 0 interceptions. He could still improve by working on his footwork and mechanics so they do not result in turnovers. Maybe be gets down to 3 interceptions or maybe he throws 10ints this year but 4 of them were bobbled by the WR and 6 the CB made a great play on he would still be better passer and improved over last season if his mechanics/footwork aren't the cause of his interceptions. Not hard to see.

You can admit he has faults, there isn't anything wrong with that. Especially if you think we will expand our passing attack and he will take on a greater role there is nothing wrong with improving what led to some of his turnovers this past season.

Same thing with fumbles. He fumbled quite a bit in the early part of the year he just didn't lose a lot of them, in fact 2 were recovered for scores. Just because he didn't lose them doesnt mean its not something he can work on.

I'd say himself. But I mean only at this point in his career. He's just coming off his rookie season w/ a lot of learning points. I hope his check down progression alleviates his superman disorder. Don't get me wrong, it feels like this kid can make something outta nothing every play. But the Falcons game concussion and the Ravens game injury smacks of reality.

You can admit he has faults, there isn't anything wrong with that. Especially if you think we will expand our passing attack and he will take on a greater role there is nothing wrong with improving what led to some of his turnovers this past season.

Same thing with fumbles. He fumbled quite a bit in the early part of the year he just didn't lose a lot of them, in fact 2 were recovered for scores. Just because he didn't lose them doesnt mean its not something he can work on.   

I know he has faults, and that is the whole point. He is always going to have some fault. RG3 is never going to be perfect, but apparently many here expect of him.

RG3 could have a day where he goes 29-30 for 450 yards and 6TDs and just one missed pass in a blowout win. However, in the post-game thread, you'll have 30 pages of folks whining about that one missed pass as if the team lost. :rolleyes:

RG3 can "work on things", but he is still going to throw some INTs. He'll still fumble, no matter how much he works on it. Perfection is never going to be an option. :)                                     

•  

I know he has faults, and that is the whole point. He is always going to have some fault. RG3 is never going to be perfect, but apparently many here expect of him.

RG3 could have a day where he goes 29-30 for 450 yards and 6TDs and just one missed pass in a blowout win. However, in the post-game thread, you'll have 30 pages of folks whining about that one missed pass as if the team lost. :rolleyes:

RG3 can "work on things", but he is still going to throw some INTs. He'll still fumble, no matter how much he works on it. Perfection is never going to be an option. :)                                     

•  

What leads you to believe that there would be 30 pages of whining about Griffin? He is adored here. The only way I could see a thread like that reaching 30 pages is if the mods left it open long enough for everyone to come in and admonish the OP. In fact, the premise of the thread is to SEARCH for things that he's not great at. That in itself is a thread praising our second-year QB!

I don't know why people build these strawmen arguments (everyone will bash Griffin no matter what he does, for example) just to refute them.

RG3 could use work going through his progressions.  He's not as bad as some try to make him out to be, but he's not great at it either.  He'll go through all his reads but the timing isn't quite natural for him yet so he can miss guys or be late to make a throw on occasion.  That will improve as he gets more time and reps with his recievers, but it is something I hope the coaches are working with him on as well.

I would also be pleased if he improved his pocket awareness and escapability within the pocket.  Sometimes it seems like he relies a little too much on dashing off to the sidelines to look for running opportunities or to buy time for his recievers when he feels pressure, instead of moving around in the pocket, a la Brady or Luck, to buy time for his receivers.  I want him to improve on this for two reasons: 1. Once he's outside the pocket, defenders can treat him as a runner and try to score a viscous hit on him, and  2. When he dashes to the sidelines looking to buy time for his recievers, he limits himself to only being able to throw to one half of the field, while guys like Brady are able to still see the whole field from the pocket while buying time, and deliver a strike to either side of the field.  Even though RG3 did show amazing arm strength in that Saints game when slinging the ball to Fred Davis from the opposite side of the field, good outcomes like that won't happen often if he tried to do it more than a few times a season.

He's only entering his second season though.  I have faith that he'll be able to master both these current weaknesses in the coming years. 

Im sorry did you Watch RGIII play this year? Im dead serious too. He does all of the things you mention without any weakness besides the fact the he's a rookie. He holds onto the ball to long sometimes but His completion percentage along with being at the top of the league at the longest yards per pass means that he wasnt just dinking and dunking. Also he was at top of the league and even more than Tom B at targeting every WR on the feild Just my opinion though

His ability to go through his progressions, from what I understand, is the main part of his game that needs to be improved. From what I've read though, it appeared that this steadily improved near the end of the season as we went to more of a conventional offense.

Has to be the knee.  What happens if he tears the ACL again (I know, some people say it wasn't torn a second time or whatever).  But really, would the Redskins have selected him if he has the second knee injury during his Junior year instead of his rookie year, i.e. if he had already suffered two major knee injuries, but had "recovered?"

Archived