Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL and NFLPA playing with the Salary Cap Again

HOF44

Looks the like they are again doing all they can to get that cap number as high as possible.

NFL Players' Performance-Based Checks For '13 Season To Be Deferred Two Years

The NFLPA recently informed NFL players and agents that players’ performance-based pay checks for the ‘13 season will be deferred for two years, NFLPA Assistant Exec Dir for External Affairs George Atallah confirmed. Players will receive the payment in March ‘16 instead of March ‘14. Atallah noted the reason for the deferral was to provide more salary cap room this year.
For example, a player like Redskins RB Alfred Morris who was a sixth-round draft pick last year, would receive a very large performance-based paycheck and Broncos QB Peyton Manning would receive a very small check, even though both players started and participated in a significant number of plays in the ‘12 NFL season.

That doesn't seem right or fair at all. I mean what's the point in having incentives if they can put off paying the reward for years. In all honest, this move by the NFL feels like an actual violation of the spirit of the salary cap.

We know we promised you this money, but we just won't count it or pay it until it is more convenient. Sure, it helps teams with a tight payroll now like the 'skins and giants, but it's a pretty crooked way to do business because if I don't get my money for two years I'm losing two years of interest, two years of investment growth, money that could make a big difference in the house I can buy, etc.

Is the actual agreement just whatever the **** they feel like doing whenever they feel like doing it?

I bet the player's union regrets not backing us now. They set a mighty poor precedent and the NFL now feels like a bully that can get away with pretty much anything.

I bet the player's union regrets not backing us now. They set a mighty poor precedent and the NFL now feels like a bully that can get away with pretty much anything.

Its not just the NFL at play here its the NFLPA as well. The NFLPA leadership are probably catching a lot of flack from members who are seeing the salary cap staying lower than they expected and having to sign for deals a lot lower than they would like, being asked to take actual pay cuts or losing their jobs totally. They are scrambling to try to keep the cap as high as they can until the bigger TV money kicks in - but they are effectively borrowing against that money already so when it does arrive the cap might not rise as much as many expect.

Trying to keep the cap as high as they could was why the NFLPA signed off on our cap penalty in the first place.

This is almost something worth striking over. Sure... there is a "no strike" clause in the CBA... but **** my hat if this isn't headed that way and it's going to be ugly when it gets there.

Dee Dee Dee Smith... you are an idiot, sir.

wow.. they completely ****ed this whole thing up from start to finish.

If I were a player I would be PISSED beyond words at having to wait 2 freakin years to get paid for money I earned..

Things are gonna get ugly soon I think. At the very least hopefully this is enough to get deedee ****canned

This is almost something worth striking over. Sure... there is a "no strike" clause in the CBA... but **** my hat if this isn't headed that way and it's going to be ugly when it gets there.

Can the players strike against their own Union :silly:

Can the players strike against their own Union :silly:

You'd think there'd be some kind of malpractice suit that could be filed... I'm more watching and waiting for the other shoe to drop. You joke, but I'm all in on something major happening before this CBA is up. We still have several years to go :)

I just noticed the article is dated 2 months ago. I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger story.

I decided to google it and see if anything else was written on this. Apparently it's not a one time deal, it's from now going forward that this will be done, the money will be held in escrow for 2 years and they're claiming it's to prevent players from being broke the moment they retire since some spend like the checks will never stop coming and retirement hits them like a brick wall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21932292/union-measure-to-hold-onto-some-player-monies-controversial-but-smart

Edit : Just want to be clear, I don't agree with the move. You're holding everyone's money hostage under the premise that some other players are stupid with their money.

Can you imagine the outrage if a regular company like say Microsoft decided to hold everyone's annual bonus 2 years because some people had made poor financial decisions with it. That actually wouldn't even be as bad since the bonuses of a regular company aren't written into a signed contract for every employee like NFL players. But the NFL literally has all the power and authority it could ever want and nobody wants to rock that boat...

I just noticed the article is dated 2 months ago. I'm surprised this wasn't a bigger story.

I decided to google it and see if anything else was written on this. Apparently it's not a one time deal, it's from now going forward that this will be done, the money will be held in escrow for 2 years and they're claiming it's to prevent players from being broke the moment they retire since some spend like the checks will never stop coming and retirement hits them like a brick wall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21932292/union-measure-to-hold-onto-some-player-monies-controversial-but-smart

Edit : Just want to be clear, I don't agree with the move. You're holding everyone's money hostage under the premise that some other players are stupid with their money.

I have to say this was one of my first thoughts. I feel like educating players would be a better starting point. This plan seems like a double slap in the face if this is the reason. You can't be trusted with your money, so we are going to withhold the money you earned for a few years.

The whole deferring it for the good of the players is just pure unadulterated spin. I think the real thing behind all this is the NFL wants to keep Smith in office. He has served the players sooooo poorly and benefited the owners so much they don't want to see him kicked out and a replacement brought in. If you think about it the NFL has no real incentive to do anything which would increase the cap, heck most don't even spend up to the cap. So them agreeing to all this is to keep the cap rising so Smith won't look like the idiot he is and be replaced by someone shrewd.

This could get ugly right quick. The players average about 4 years of earning power and the NFL, the owners unlimited growth. This is smelling like a monopoly or collusion for sure. Spirit of the Cap, what a ****ing line of crap that is.

---------- Post added May-17th-2013 at 11:29 AM ----------

Should we start a **** the NFL thread? Or is it too late since the NFL ****ed us already.

I have to say this was one of my first thoughts I feel like educating players would be a better starting point. This plan seems like a double slap in the face if this is the reason. You can't be trusted with your money, so we are going to withhold the money you earned for a few years.

Isn't this exactly what Joe Gibbs was doing for the Skins? He held mandatory seminars at Redskins park for players on financial stability and money management. Did he extend that program to other teams, and is he still doing so now?

I have to say this was one of my first thoughts. I feel like educating players would be a better starting point. This plan seems like a double slap in the face if this is the reason. You can't be trusted with your money, so we are going to withhold the money you earned for a few years.

Ha, ha, ha....you don't think they already try to educate these guys? Come on. Hell, within a few months we will read about some rookie that has violated a rule he was just told not to violate at the Rookie Symposium (and they tell them about finance there also).

I'm not saying this is the right answer, but let's not pretend like these guys aren't given the basic tools necessary to live off of $30 million the rest of their lives.

You can lead a horse to water.......

For those players who may be cut in the interm, this actually seems like it could be an OK deal. If those players are making the most they will ever make, and the bonus doesn't put them in the highest tax bracket, then couldn't the deferment leave them paying less in taxes? Now whether that makes up for 2 years of investment gains...depends. Are we talking about 2008?

Because that is something they already do.

Archived