Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Madden NFL 25

jaybrant

I searched and I haven't seen a thread to discuss the new Madden yet but if I missed something I apologize.

Barry Sanders has recently won the vote to be the next cover athlete. The first gameplay trailer featuring RGIII, AP, Megatron, etc. toasting the Green Bay defense (bet Packer fans are angry :ols:) was released last week.

It seems like EA is focusing on improving the run game a lot in both the Madden and NCAA games this year.

I thought that last years Madden was by far the best in a long time and can't wait to see the upgrades this year. Thoughts?

I keep telling myself that I am going to stop buying this game... the gameplay has gotten worse and worse for years. However, that preview is awesome and I may be suckered again.

And on the note of Packers fans being upset... boo hoo. I remember the last ten plus years where we were fodder in video games and MNF/SNF previews, lol.

Last year, EA admitted that it was going to take three full years for them to turn around this franchise. Their goal was to have something in three years that they were proud of. I have been burned too many times by this franchise, I will wait and check it out when their 'Good Game' time frame comes.

I might skip it this year. Every year I buy it. Every year I can not figure out how to defend the pass. Every year I sit there as people I play see this and just run Hail Mary every down for the entire game and beat me by a basketball score.

I might skip it this year. Every year I buy it. Every year I can not figure out how to defend the pass. Every year I sit there as people I play see this and just run Hail Mary every down for the entire game and beat me by a basketball score.

The pass is very easy to defend. Are you blitzing every down? Cover 2 man under pretty much rules as a base defense and even the pre-set audibles have good enough packages to stop the pass. Don't get me wrong, there are some good players out there that can somehow always seem to complete every pass lol. But at the level of competition we are playing at, as far as ranking, most of those guys are one/two play bums. If you hang in there long enough, they usually screw up. Hell, Ive even let the computer completely call the plays and not controlled it and the AI seems to do good at times lol.

---------- Post added April-30th-2013 at 07:36 PM ----------

The pass is very easy to defend. Are you blitzing every down? Cover 2 man under pretty much rules as a base defense and even the pre-set audibles have good enough packages to stop the pass. Don't get me wrong, there are some good players out there that can somehow always seem to complete every pass lol. But at the level of competition we are playing at, as far as ranking, most of those guys are one/two play bums. If you hang in there long enough, they usually screw up. Hell, Ive even let the computer completely call the plays and not controlled it and the AI seems to do good at times lol.

I'll buy it the day it comes out.

I'll play it three times.

I'll play something else.

It happens every year. Maybe I'll play on-line again until I get bored losing 77-14 to everyone.

I do agree last years was very good....

LOL, sounds like my experience, especially the online portion. I get smoked every time.. its a very humbling experience.

I always find with the lucky hail mary ****s that play online, if you play deep coverage (mixing it up every now and then with man, cover 2 man/blizting schemes) that should do it. Then witness the shortcircuit. It's beautiful. In my prime I would always have a lot of guys moving around near the line of scrimmage, and then go into my planned defense, and get the right depth right before the snap. A lot of cats vastly undersell the signifance of telegraphing their snapcount.

Against any player worth his salt the pass was almost impossible to defend in Madden 13 unless you played as one of the defensive superteams (49ers, Ravens, etc.) and/or dropped 8 or more in coverage.

Such an awful, awful series Madden became. :(

Against any player worth his salt the pass was almost impossible to defend in Madden 13 unless you played as one of the defensive superteams (49ers, Ravens, etc.) and/or dropped 8 or more in coverage.

Such an awful, awful series Madden became. :(

I played with the Skins and did pretty good against the pass. I dunno.

It doesn't ever seem to matter what defense I call. As soon as I take control of a d-back I lose 5 steps on the receiver, herp in the wrong direction, something. Basically as soon as my control switches to a corner or a safety any receiver they were near becomes free and open. I suppose I could just let the computer control the corners, but if you do that then why bother playing? You don't get Madden so that you can watch other people play football; I already do that on my own. :ols:

this franchise has been going down hill for like 8 years, unfortunately. i bought it every year in the early 2000s, then every other year, i'm down to once every 3-4 years now. i played the demo last year (with rg3) and it didn't seem any better than any of the previous iterations, plus they got rid of my favorite aspect -- offline franchise mode, random draft, all that. i had no interest in the player career thing they put in its place.

this franchise has been going down hill for like 8 years...

It's funny that you say this. The last good man was 2005 with Ray Lewis on the cover. It is not a coincidence that Madden was the last good Madden.

That just so happened to be the last year that 2K Sports made an NFL Football game.

220px-ESPN_NFL_2K5.jpg

EA Sports and the NFL is hustling us. They know most of us will buy the game anyway. EA Sports is basically buying out the competition.

It's funny though because when it comes to basketball 2K Sports made EA Sports quit. EA Sports hasn't put out an NBA game in like 3 years. 2k didn't need to buy exclusive licensing.

yep, i agree it's no coincidence. EA in general really sucks, and i encourage anyone who's on the fence to please not support that garbage company. go read what people think of the latest SimCity, for example.

edit: heck, here's Chris Kluwe's review of the game. his rage was actually on the more mild end of the spectrum compared to most players' reactions to EA's epic botch of SimCity.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-kluwes-simcity-5-review-2013-3

The 2K game was competition. Why the NFL decided to make Madden exclusive was a terrible choice.

Madden has been garbage for years besides the look. The gameplay is not even close to where it should be at this point (as far as technology). I would rather play Techmo...it sucked too...but at least it was fun.

It doesn't ever seem to matter what defense I call. As soon as I take control of a d-back I lose 5 steps on the receiver, herp in the wrong direction, something. Basically as soon as my control switches to a corner or a safety any receiver they were near becomes free and open. I suppose I could just let the computer control the corners, but if you do that then why bother playing? You don't get Madden so that you can watch other people play football; I already do that on my own. :ols:

Manually covering someone takes a ton of practice. Most people control the middle linebacker to stop the fast play over the middle that typically can burn you every time especially with a tall/fast TE. I don't do good covering manually, especially controlling the CBs. I will take control of the blitzing LB and if I don't get to the QB before he passes, at that point, you can hit O then Triangle and usually bat the ball down or get a user pick.

Sometimes, if they keep quick passing to the TE for a 2-5 yard gain, I'll just take control of the LB and jam him at the line and sometimes you get picks like that or bat the ball down. Start off small (controlling a player blitzing, switching to player closest to ball if its thrown), then move up to a linebacker in zone coverage, faking blitz, but moving back into coverage. Linebacker in man coverage on a TE, etc.

You also have to know which players to press coverage with the corners, which to not press unless you have safety help (on both sides). Which teams,players will pick you apart and if you do straight man or man blitz and have no safety help will burn you. Just takes practice/attention to detail. Sure a really really good player can make the Browns look like World Champs. Also, while some of the attributes transition to the game where they are as good as they are in reality, most dont.

Switch up your roster, maximize talent/speed. Most players are offensive junkies and will throw all day long, never running the ball (a few times a game), hurry up offense, going for it every 4th down (regardless of where the ball is on the field, including their own 20 yard line), and will onsides kick you every time after they score. Then on defense, they have a nano or two that seems to cause mad chaos. Those guys are the best ones to beat.

Madden is all about speed for the most part, including defense. Thats why I make sure my DBs are #1 and 2 by speed for matchups, do this intelligently though, if you have a CB rated say 93 w/89 speed and another one thats 6th on the depth chart rated 65 w/92 speed, play the better CB. But if its really close and not much of a drop off in rating, say he's 4th in depth, but is rated 90 with 95 speed, plug him in over the 93 guy, make that player third on the depth chart, or second.

One thing I like to do on offense, put my tallest/fastest WR as my #1 TE, and my true #1 TE as #2 on depth chart. For example, on our Skins, I change the depth to this order for WR - Garcon, Robinson, Moss (slot), Wilson, etc. I remove Hankerson and make him my #1 TE. I run a lot of plays out of Single back strong, I streak Hankerson right up the middle. Mismatch city. His speed allows him to burn by the LBs, then depending on what D they run and where the safeties are positioned, I can fire it down the middle for huge gains, if one safety is way up, so its a cover 1, I lead the pass to the direction away from where the safety is coming and its a TD (or close to it).

Lots of things you can do bro :)

Archived