Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox: Perry blasts California newspaper for cartoon depicting Texas plant explosion

The 12th Commandment

1st one is a big harsh. 2nd one I think is relevant.

I am curious what the story with the ammonium nitrate really is. If it comes out this company was being beyond irresponsible in this situation, how is it not murder via negligence??

I'm curious as well and there are many agencies investigating....so far it seems that ammonium nitrate was not the problem

we must first determine the cause before the hanging

---------- Post added April-27th-2013 at 05:22 PM ----------

Odd how issues are "local" when we don't want to blame certain people in charge or look at the culture they've created because it makes us have to reconsider our shared beliefs; yet with other "local" issues we send blame to the highest entities and the culture they've created because we don't share beliefs.

Zoning is local here and no I don't blame certain people for freedoms allowed.

I wonder who you are excluding from blame?

Classless.

There's a difference between using lessons from a tragedy to spur meaningful change and using a tragedy to be a complete smartass about the point you're trying to make. Oh, and reveal your political bias and disdain for the politician in the process.

Kind of disappointed by the support I see being given to this type of behavior.

Yes, this exactly

Classless? Sure.

So what?

The role of the editorial cartoonist in the US isn't supposed to go hand in hand with class.

Get over yourself.

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 08:00 AM ----------

edit..if Perry doesn't want to be linked to things like this, perhaps he should not be anti-regulation AND take credit for creating new jobs (you know, the ones he stole from other states because he promised those businesses lower taxes and hardly any regulations).

Considering the loss of life, it's distasteful.

If it's just loss of property it's different, but innocent people are dead, and as good as the point may be, it's harsh for those families.

You have to respect your audience.. IMO the same cartoon a month from now isn't as bad. right now there's fresh blood on the ground, and salt in the wound isn't nice.

the second one makes the same point, but with a bit more sensitivity towards innocents who are suffering.

~Bang

C

You have to respect your audience.. IMO the same cartoon a month from now isn't as bad. right now there's fresh blood on the ground, and salt in the wound isn't nice.

~Bang

But the audience was Northern California, specifically the capital area (Sacramento), an area hit hard by Perry's stealing (er...relocating or..as Perry puts it..JOB CREATION!) of jobs based on promises of lower taxes and less (or no) regulations.

Here is the Sac Bee's explanation - you all can take it for what you will.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/25/5372555/rick-perry-explosion-cartoon-published.html

The Texas chemical plant had not been inspected by the state of Texas since 2006. That's seven years ago. You may have read in the news that Gov. Perry, during his business recruiting trips to California and Illinois, generally described his state as free from high taxes and burdensome regulation. One of the burdensome regulations he neglected to mention was the fact that his state hadn't really gotten around to checking out that fertilizer plant. Many Texas cities have little or no zoning, resulting in homes being permitted next to sparely inspected businesses that store explosive chemicals.

So when the plant exploded and killed 14 people, people started asking the inevitable questions about whether this tragedy could have been prevented.

Well, we're not going to know that now, exactly, but I doubt that more inspections and better zoning would have hurt.

But the audience was Northern California, specifically the capital area (Sacramento), an area hit hard by Perry's stealing (er...relocating or..as Perry puts it..JOB CREATION!) of jobs based on promises of lower taxes and less (or no) regulations.

So, since it was meant for the out of state crowd who has a bone to pick with Perry, it's ok then. :doh: Makes sense.

For the record, I'm a Northern Californian and still find it classless. I would write more as to why, but I am too busy getting over myself at the moment. :ols:

Here is the Sac Bee's explanation - you all can take it for what you will.

nothing is local anymore. If it's published or put out there, it's available for the entire world. I'm in Maryland and saw it.

That should be understood. A commentary cartoonist's 'audience' is everywhere.

No problem with the message, just the timing and delivery.

~Bang

nothing is local anymore. If it's published or put out there, it's available for the entire world. I'm in Maryland and saw it.

That should be understood. A commentary cartoonist's 'audience' is everywhere.

No problem with the message, just the timing and delivery.

~Bang

Agreed but waiting takes away any relevance and effect that the cartoon had. And it got the effect it wanted - nationwide people saw it and are talking about it.

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

I would write more as to why, but I am too busy getting over myself at the moment.

Apparently not.

---------- Post added April-29th-2013 at 10:56 AM ----------

So then..what's the rule on what's off limits to editorial cartoonists? Is there a time frame that they have to wait to make their opinions heard (or seen)?

Agreed but waiting takes away any relevance and effect that the cartoon had. And it got the effect it wanted - nationwide people saw it and are talking about it.

that is a valid point.

seems to me though the discussion is more about the cartoon than it's message. I think if the fight to keep companies is ongoing, the message won't lose it's impact.

~Bang

I'd like to flip this on its head a little bit, especially in the context of the "audience" matters.

Is Rick Perry being insensitive by making an issue of it?

Are the people that are making a big deal of it and saying it is insensitive (not the people in this thread so much, but people on a national scale and that have a large following)?

If Perry never comments on it, is it more or less likely to be seen by people that were actually affected by the event?

I would say no, as a counterpunch the sensitivity issue is changed. If Perry makes an issue of it first, it's a fair shot back.

I admit, the only thing I know about Perry and anything he may or may not have said to this incident are the cartoon. i have not followed the story from this angle, other than to comment on my perception of the cartoon itself.

~Bang

As someone pointed out, this cartoon was a very specific response to Governor Perry's recent trip to California trying to lure business from California to Texas by hyping the lesser regulatory burden in his state.

The cartoon may not have made its message well, but it certainly was not intended to be disrespectful to the victims of the explosion - only to Governor Perry.

I made my comment on the cartoon, but Perry, many of his policies, and his trip to CA all have a shared smell to me. Bull**** is Bull****. Under normal conditions, I don't see attacking Perry as usually anything other than sane and healthy adult behavior. :evilg:

I do find the idea that this plant had not had outside-agency appropriate safety inspections in 7 years (if true) to be hard to justify (putting it mildly).

Many in the state seem to confuse some kind of regional "desirable character traits" with the luck they have for sitting on an ocean of oil, and the fact that (other than perhaps the railroad) no industry in our history has influenced our government so powerfully and in such corrupt (both openly and secretly) fashion, and also been allowed such access to the use of every available orifice of every taxpayer.

While not alone, and obviously not the whole story by any means, as a specific region, Texas is a state whose "success" is historically VERY deep (even given the norm in such matters) in violence, murder, corruption, thievery, and bigotry. It didn't hurt that "their boys" have sat at the Big Desk a few times. Overall, like the Cowboys, the "biggest" thing about them isn't the acreage within its borders---it's the delusional level of inflated self-worth so many of the denizens project. :ols:

(and quit grinning, that's not picking on twa or LKB (both Texans :evilg:), and it's beyond obvious I am not noting any of the many positives one could say about the state and its people and history--which theoretically have to exist, right? :pfft:)

As someone pointed out, this cartoon was a very specific response to Governor Perry's recent trip to California trying to lure business from California to Texas by hyping the lesser regulatory burden in his state.

The cartoon may not have made its message well, but it certainly was not intended to be disrespectful to the victims of the explosion - only to Governor Perry.

I take it you'd be okay with a lampooning of Obama showing patients who died under Obamacare because of some sort of substandard treatment... with a caption of "Obama really cares!" or some other such nonsense

A few other questions for those defending this garbage:

1. what was the cause of the explosion? Deregulation brought on by Gov Perry? Show us. Cite your work. Thanks in advance.

2. Was this fertilizer plant lured from California?

3. Would a fertilizer storage company relocate from California to Texas for less regulation? Anyone check the cost of diesel fuel recently?

Of course, you all could also back down, and just admit you have your own head lodged firmly in your own ass.

Northern California suffering economically because of Perry... that's ****ing RICH.

I take it you'd be okay with a lampooning of Obama showing patients who died under Obamacare because of some sort of substandard treatment... with a caption of "Obama really cares!" or some other such nonsense

1. what was the cause of the explosion? Deregulation brought on by Gov Perry? Show us. Cite your work. Thanks in advance.

3. Would a fertilizer storage company relocate from California to Texas for less regulation? Anyone check the cost of diesel fuel recently?

Of course, you all could also back down, and just admit you have your own head lodged firmly in your own ass.

Northern California suffering economically because of Perry... that's ****ing RICH.

Yikes zoony, bad day man?

We all know that the cause of the blast has yet to be determined. So you won't get the "facts" you are looking for...yet.

That said, I don't think its a big stretch to say that storing large amounts of highly explosive or flammable material with very little oversight from state agencies(something that Perry promotes ad nauseum when he is stealing..er recruiting businesses from other states) is ever a good thing. And that's what happened in West, Texas (the lack of state oversight).

Heck, I even read somewhere that Texas doesn't have an occupational safety and health program that meets federal requirements. How ****ing moronic is that?

As for the editorial cartoon - I guess I'll just say that I don't see much material that is off limits.

Sure, it was classless. But when is class ever expected on op-ed pages?

I would check out the Dallas Morning News and WFAA - both have had some terrific early investigative reports on West.

Lots still to figure out, but there is some troubling early reports of a complete lack of proper regulation, incorrect reporting, and un-followed emergency protocols. If I get time I will collect some links and post them.

However, still no excuse for the cartoon.

Yes, this exactly.

Archived