Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explosions at finish line of Boston Marathon?

Tom [Giants fan]

Terrible and heart-wrenching.

I tend to agree with those that are speculating lone wolf, or at least something below an AQ-type organization. As horrible as this is, and it's pretty damn horrible, it could have been much worse.

Sidenote: Brian Williams keeps saying it was right as the "Elite level marathoners" were finishing, but the clock on the photos and videos I keep seeing has a number like 4:06, It's always been my understanding that the elites finished nearer to 2:20, somewhere in that range. So perhaps the crowd was a little lighter than it was/would have been when the elite runners actually were finishing.

Yes, The Elite Women start at 9.30 and the elite men (and Wave one) at 10.00. Waves 2 and 3, each with another 9,000 runners start at 10:20am and 10:40am.

So all the elite fields will be done by around 12:30 or slightly after.

I read that the bombs went off at 2:45pm and saw 4:09 on the clock. This looks like it was set up to coincide with the peak volume of finishers from the second and third waves, based on last year, when presumably most spectators would be in the vicinity.

Start times:

Elite Men & Wave One 10:00 a.m. 9,000

Wave Two 10:20 a.m. 9,000

Wave Three 10:40 a.m. 9,000

I wonder how the suspect was injured.

Did he/she stand too close to the blast that they planned?

Doesn't make sense. I do hope that is the perp though.

Conventional wisdom says "plant bombs run away", yet maybe they thought "if I get hit with a bit of it, I won't be a suspect".

It's possible that it didn't quite play out as he/she planned. If it's accurate that they are finding unexploded bombs, then the ones that did explode may have gone off accidentally before the suspect was able to leave the area.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in that. Just give it some time. It may or may not be true. The had the wrong guy in the ATL Olympics bombing at first so patience is needed.

Conventional wisdom says "plant bombs run away", yet maybe they thought "if I get hit with a bit of it, I won't be a suspect".

Just more speculation. Could be anything. An unsophisticated remote detonator that can't cut through the interference of all the extra broadcasting, phones, etc. you get at an event like this, so they have to get closer than anticipated. Or the timer doesn't work right and it goes off early. Who knows. I'm more curious about how they identified a suspect so fast.

Archived