11-14 (289) - Monte Coleman, Central Arkansas, LB

12-10 (314) - Clint Didier, Portland State, TE

12-20 (326) - Keenan McCardell, UNLV, WR

18-7 (245) - Chris Hanburger, North Carolina, LB

Best 5:

- Darrell Green

- Russ Grimm

- Art Monk

- Robert Griffin III (early, but I think he's already there)

- Chris Hanburger

Worst 5:

- Michael Westbrook

- Heath Shuler

- Andre Johnson (tackle)

- Desmond Howard

- Kenard Lang

Kenard Lang one of the worst? Kenard wasn't great, but he was at least a solid player

My thought is it's a mix of what they accomplished and what they should've accomplished based on their draft position

5 best

- Darrell Green. Late first rounder turned hall of famer, 2 time super bowl winner

- Russ Grim. Third rounder, hall of famer, 3 time super bowl champ

- Art Monk. Mid first, hall of famer, 3 time super bowl champ

- Gary Clark. Late second from a small school, multi-time all pro and 2 time super bowl champ

- Brian Mitchell. Fifth rounder. Should be hall of famer and arguably one of the greatest special teams players of all time. 1 time Super Bowl Champion

5 worst

- Andre Johnson. First rounder, never played

- Heath Schuler. #3 pick in the draft, franchise QB bust who set the franchise back

- Desmond Howard. #4 pick in the draft that never significantly contributed and was a massive bust

- Michael Westbrook. #4 pick that was productive for a few seasons, but a massive headcase that caused him to bounce from the team far earlier than a #4 pick should

- LaRon Landry. #6 pick that was injured for a fair portion of his time here and then was gone, leaving a gigantic hole in the secondary

I think RG3 and especially Alfred Morris due to his value as a 6th round pick will be making that list sometime very soon. However, I can't put them ahead of multiple hall of famers who were super bowl champions and multi-time all pros at this point.

Considering all the other QBs we could list instead of Campbell, I'm not surprised he doesn't pop to mind first. Shuler and Ramsey should be listed before Campbell.

I can see that angle.

Shuler was absolute junk.

Ramsey? Why, I dunno, but I think he could have been much better with a hint of a fair o-line. Poor dude was getting killed more than Kenny on South Park !

But considering the hype that Campbell got as being 'the guy', I'd have to put him a close 2nd to Shuler.

I started looking at older drafts and it is amazing. From 1969 to 1979 not a single first round pick....I kid you not. In 1980 we drafted the great one' date=' Art Monk with our first, first round pick in over a decade! In '81, Mark May, and then in '82, you guessed it, no 1st again. In '83, the timeless Darrell Green and then, '84-'90 not a single first round pick...again! Wow! Just so interesting to view our early draft philosophy and how the league, and the Redskins, have changed. Carry on. :helmet: HTTR[/quote']
I understand why George Allen is held in high esteem in Washington, but he has to be one of the most overrated figures in Redskins history. Not only did he treat Sonny Jurgensen like garbage, but he mortgaged the future of the team by shunning the draft (thank God we had Bobby Bethard and Joe Gibbs soon after Allen left) and seldom had his teams ready for the the playoffs.

Riggins was right when he said Allen couldn't win the big one because he only wanted to play with two sides: defense and special teams.

well, Allen didn't view it as mortgaging the future of the team because he figured once his current players wore out he could just trade for someone elses.

Allen traded away alot of our picks for players that he had coached. His "the future is now" approach led him to give away alot of picks. If you look at those drafts, they were 20 rounds or more and alot of the years, we didn't have any picks until the 5th or 6th rounds. Allen despised rookies and he didn't want them making mistakes. Hence, getting all of his "older" players meant that we were one of the oldest teams in the league (The Over the Hill Gang) and Allen's philosphy was that veteran players don't make mistakes. But the teams wore down as the season went on and the tank was on empty by the time we did reach the playoffs.

The thing with Jurgensen was, QBs called their own plays in the 60s and the game was slowly starting to change in the 70s with the coach calling the plays. Allen would send a play in and Sonny would run his own play. With Allen, he wanted the defense to win the game and the offense to just not **** it up. Sonny wanted to throw the ball around. We had some weapons on offense and if you really go back and look at those teams, we should have been dominant on both sides of the ball if he had have played Sonny. But Kilmer was his perfect QB (a converted RB actually) because he would run the plays that Allen would send in and played a more conservative game.

As far as the 80s go, Bobby Beathard became known for finding "diamonds on the rough" with later round picks. He would trade the high picks and acquire more picks later on. Also, we signed and traded for alot of guys to come on to our SB teams (George Rogers, Gerald Riggs, Wilbur Marshall, Jim Lachey, RC Theilmann, etc) and that took away alot of our picks.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can put RGIII because though we believe he will be great, we don't know yet. I would love to add Sean Taylor, but I think his career was cut to short with the horrific murder. Grene, Grimm, Jacoby, Monk, Charles Mann would be my top 5 best. My worst 5 would be Shuler, Westbrook, Timmy Smith (great Superbowl but then nothing), Rod Gardner, and thanks to Spurrier, Patrick Ramsey.

Considering all the other QBs we could list instead of Campbell, I'm not surprised he doesn't pop to mind first. Shuler and Ramsey should be listed before Campbell.

The Redskins actually cut bait on Shuler pretty quickly and minimized the impact of the pick....which IMO makes his selection "better." What makes both Campbell and Ramsey worse is the fact that the organization invested so much time in their development. They were both bad picks (double bad in JC's case given that there was additional compensation given to Denver for the right to draft him) in the first place and the decision to draft them was made worse because the losses continued to pile up as the FO waited for development that never occurred.

Andre Johnson, T in '97 was the worst. 1st round pick never saw the field. So many people forget about him, I guess its understandable.

Seriously, I think your the chicken winna. He was drafted no.30 in '96, never saw the field in Washington or Miami, and had only played 3 games for Detroit. He is considered to be one of the worst first round picks for not only Washington, but of all time.

Gus Frerotte. 7th rounder who could actually play the game some and made us forget about Shuler for awhile. Frankly, if we had used the #4 overall on anyone else, we'd have been a much better team on the Gus bus than with the Shuler fooler.

---------- Post added April-9th-2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

Seriously, I think your the chicken winna. He was drafted no.30 in '96, never saw the field in Washington or Miami, and had only played 3 games for Detroit. He is considered to be one of the worst first round picks for not only Washington, but of all time.

Not only that, but didn't we trade away a pick to Dallas to take him??? How can anyone be so blind as to miss *that* badly on a lineman?

Gus Frerotte. 7th rounder who could actually play the game some and made us forget about Shuler for awhile. Frankly, if we had used the #4 overall on anyone else, we'd have been a much better team on the Gus bus than with the Shuler fooler.

Gus wouldn't have been bad if he hadn't thrown so many picks, many of them at inopportune times. He was Romo sits to pee before Romo sits to pee was Romo sits to pee.

Re: Lohmiller and the list.

As good as he was, I still don't think he warranted a second round pick. That's why I didn't put him up there.

I took a closer look at this career stats, and have to say that I now agree with you. He was solid and consistently good. But he was no Mort Anderson and had a pretty short career for a kicker.

He pales in comparison to Walter Murray.

I had to look that up. I had no recollection of him at all. I was 17 at the time and had recently just discovered alcohol so that may have had something to do with it.

Walter Murray was a WR from the University of Hawaii. He was selected in the 2nd round of the 1986 draft, and for some reason he held out, even though he was offered a pretty fair contract for a 2nd round pick at that time (3 years, $770,000).

He never played a down for the Redskins. I couldn't figure out if he was traded or what, but he eventually signed with the Colts, where he played in a total of 19 games over 2 seasons and caught 22 passes.

So yeah, that was bad pick.

Here's what he looked like in case you were curious.

4490faa5e469cfe60d0bb7b4a8f28627fdfb15bf.jpg?x=567&y=744&sig=1713c8218ce1da7c3465b3c01068edda

Archived