Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Worst Redskins draft picks in Super Bowl era

Hitman21ST

Rob Jackson?

You cannot be serious.

He's not top 5, but he deserves mention. He's played well above his draft position.

As for the rest of the hogs, I only had like 5 minutes to throw that list together then I had to get back to work. I tried for some diversity :pfft:

I think In the Super Bowl Era the Skins drafted a guy who didn't want to play pro football. He was out second rounder in 88, a WR.

Even if this is a thing where the guy has to make the team and play terrible, to excuse 12th rounders who were camp bodies he should be mentioned.

I'm looking at George Allen's drafts. A MASSIVE number of people who never played pro football.

I'd put Devin Thomas before Michael Westbrook. Granted Westbrook was a very unmotivated player half the time things may have been different if he hadn't tore his knee in 2000. But Devin Thomas never showed us anything.

Devin Thomas showed us a lot more than Walter Murray.

---------- Post added April-8th-2013 at 06:07 PM ----------

Edit: N/M

(the mention of Bostic as UDFA was mentioned earlier and I somehow missed it. Sorry.)

Anyways, no love for Rod Gardner in the worst list?

An Eagles (IIRC) UDFA who we picked up after they cut him.

Best In order

1) Darrel Green - no surprise and everyone is picking him

2) Russ Grimm - 3rd round and HOF

3) Art Monk - 1st round -HOF WR

4) Champ Bailey - likely HOF we were robbed when we traded him

5) Chris Samuels - Multiple Pro bowls possible longshot HOF wasted on bad teams

Worst

1) Andre Johnson - 1st rounder who never played a game and he wasn't even injured

2) Heath Shuler - Complete bust of a QB. Turners pick over Dilfer

3) Michael Westbrook - 4th overall headcase

4) Desmond Howard - 4th overall bust

5) Devin Thomas - Thought to be the top WR coming out and went at the top of the 2d round- couldn't play anywhere

By Superbowl era, are these players who were drafted after Superbowl I (1966-67 season) or played during that era? Charley Taylor was drafted in 1964.. he and Art Monk rank 1 & 1A as the best wide receivers the Redskins ever had IMO. He was on the George Allen Superbowl team and I believe belongs on the top 5 list.

Also, are we considering the USFL supplimental draft? If so, we drafted Gary Clark and you could make a case for him to be a top 5 draft pick as well.

Thank you for listening and I will take your answers off the air.

Hail.

Worst:

Heath Shuler 1994

Dan Miller K 1982 (A kicker with Mosely on the team?)

Desmond Howard WR 1992

Bobby Wilson DT 1991 (too injured)

Cary Conklin QB 1990 (his presence on the team led us to trade Stan Humphries)

Andre Johnson has to be the # 1 worst for me. How often does a first round pick not even make the team? That's insane. To make matters even worse, we sent a couple draft picks (2nd and 3rd?) to the Cowboys to draft him. I think Casserly was seven years too early with that pick.

Best Five:

Art Monk

Darrell Green

Sean Taylor

RGIII

Russ Grimm

Worst Five:

Andre Johnson

LaRon Landry

Heath Shuler

Desmond Howard

Michael Westbrook

---------- Post added April-8th-2013 at 06:53 PM ----------

I'm looking at George Allen's drafts. A MASSIVE number of people who never played pro football.

What's really crazy is the team didn't have a first round pick from 1969 to 1979.

Chris Hanburger is unfortunate he was drafted before the superbowl era. For such a late round pick to make the Hall of Fame is remarkable.

Although Monk is my favorite player it has to be Green for best. Last pick of round 1 (so no a sure fire hit), 20 year career, three superbowls and Hall of Fame.

Rob Jackson over Orakpo? Jackson's had 5 good games.. you should put Chris Horton up there if that's the case lol

lets not get carried away in the other direction either. Rob Jackson makes plays happen. Plays happened to Chris Horton. ;)

---------- Post added April-8th-2013 at 07:26 PM ----------

ohhhhh :doh::doh1:

put in Grimm, Coleman and Morris for HM.

Strong. I loved Monte as a kid.

Worst:

Heath Shuler 1994

Dan Miller K 1982 (A kicker with Mosely on the team?)

Desmond Howard WR 1992

Bobby Wilson DT 1991 (too injured)

Cary Conklin QB 1990 (his presence on the team led us to trade Stan Humphries)

Dan Miller was supposed to beat out Mosely. Thing was, Mosely had other plans. The general consensus at the time was that Mosely was done.

I started looking at older drafts and it is amazing. From 1969 to 1979 not a single first round pick....I kid you not. In 1980 we drafted the great one, Art Monk with our first, first round pick in over a decade! In '81, Mark May, and then in '82, you guessed it, no 1st again. In '83, the timeless Darrell Green and then, '84-'90 not a single first round pick...again! Wow! Just so interesting to view our early draft philosophy and how the league, and the Redskins, have changed. Carry on. :helmet: HTTR

How does Kerrigan not make at least the honorable mention? Guy is a baller.

because assuming that the list includes all rounds and honorable mention is five spots as is best then in the Super Bowl era the Redskins have had a lot more than ten people as good or better and as important as Kerrigan.

In fact in just a five year span from say 1979 to 1983 I can give you a list

1. Art Monk

2. Darrell Green

3. Russ Grimm

4. Charles Mann

5. Mark May

HM

6. Monte Coleman

7. Dexter Manley

8. Don Warren

9. Clint Didier

10. Darryl Grant

A list like that is why a guy drafted two years ago won't at least make honorable mention

What's really crazy is the team didn't have a first round pick from 1969 to 1979.

I understand why George Allen is held in high esteem in Washington, but he has to be one of the most overrated figures in Redskins history. Not only did he treat Sonny Jurgensen like garbage, but he mortgaged the future of the team by shunning the draft (thank God we had Bobby Bethard and Joe Gibbs soon after Allen left) and seldom had his teams ready for the the playoffs.

Riggins was right when he said Allen couldn't win the big one because he only wanted to play with two sides: defense and special teams.

I understand why George Allen is held in high esteem in Washington, but he has to be one of the most overrated figures in Redskins history. Not only did he treat Sonny Jurgensen like garbage, but he mortgaged the future of the team by shunning the draft (thank God we had Bobby Bethard and Joe Gibbs soon after Allen left) and seldom had his teams ready for the the playoffs.

Riggins was right when he said Allen couldn't win the big one because he only wanted to play with two sides: defense and special teams.

well, Allen didn't view it as mortgaging the future of the team because he figured once his current players wore out he could just trade for someone elses.

As good as he was, I still don't think he warranted a second round pick. That's why I didn't put him up there.

I agree. I had forgotten he was taken that high. Big reach right there. He was good but not that good.

---------- Post added April-9th-2013 at 01:06 AM ----------

Wow a lot of history lost on today's fans based on the top 5 list.

How's that? Remember, this is Super Bowl era; not a lot to pick from before 1980.

---------- Post added April-9th-2013 at 01:07 AM ----------

Wow a lot of history lost on today's fans based on the top 5 list.

How's that? Remember, this is Super Bowl era; not a lot to pick from before 1980.

Archived